“Cash's is cash only!” 4 of 5 stars

Description: created 10-11-10,jsp;
Sylva
“Cash's is cash only!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great ribs and pork BBQ. Be sure to take cash. Seating is outside only. There is a little tented area too.

Visited April 2012

Highlands, North Carolina
“What a find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great little place, just off the highway. BBQ is very good, most of the side items are HOME-MADE. Reasonable for a quick grab to go, or sit outside at a table.

Visited August 2012
Florida/North Carolina
“#1 in BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

That is true - the locals have votes and they got it right. Quaint outdoor picnic like area in back of The Whistle Stop in Franklin, NC. It has become a real hit and we will probably soon need reservations!

Visited June 2012
North Carolina
“It took a lot of places to find the BEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR MOUTH-WATERING BARBECUE. . . YOUR SEARCH IS OVER! A couple of guys I work with recommended I try this place and, after they showed me where it was, I decided to stop in. My whole family was SO glad I did, too!

Cash's is a small location with a few outside picnic tables and a tented/screened in area. There is no inside dining available. I'm totally fine with that because these folks are completely focused on the food and it shows! Even though it's basically a small carry-out location, it still has a lot of character and charm. I received extremely friendly service and lightning fast delivery for food this fresh and delicious! Cash's it tucked away to the back of the Whistle Stop Mall on 441 in Franklin. There are sufficient signs that will point you in their direction once you enter Whistle Stop.

I like to think of myself as a connoisseur of barbecue. There's nothing I love better than good barbecue; consequently, there's nothing worse than bad barbecue. In order to get a representative sample of what Cash's has to offer (and because I was buying lunch for lots of hungry folks), I ordered two full slabs of baby back ribs and a pound of pulled pork. Each slab came with two side items, so I ordered two containers of potato salad along with baked beans and cole slaw.

In less than five minutes, my order was ready and the piping hot food was delivered by another friendly person. Along with the food, I was asked if I needed utensils or anything else (that's a plus. . . anticipating diners' needs!) and I was given about 10 ounces of barbecue sauce in a container. One of the hardest things was driving back home with all that barbecued goodness while the inside of my car bloomed with the rich, hickory smoked smell of pork nirvana!

So when I got home - it was time for the moment of truth. I opened the styrofoam container of pulled pork. It was still very warm and so before I made a sandwich and poured on the sauce, I found a big chunk of pork that had a dark, smoky edge and sampled that first. It was perfect. The pork was tender, smoky and so moist. To me, the hallmark of really good pulled pork is keeping it moist. Some rely on the sauce that will be added to bring the moisture to the 'cue, but these folks know what they're doing because that pork was so tender and moist!

Ok, so two thumbs up for the pulled pork, but what about the ribs? The ribs are given some kind of rub and are sauced after they are cooked and they are so fall-of-the-bone delicious, moist and flavorful that you could almost skip adding barbecue sauce to them! They had that beautiful pink color that just says smoked perfection and the quality of the meat was fantastic. There's another fairly popular BBQ place in Franklin that's not too far from Cash's that I'm convinced must be pre-cooking their ribs, but that place can't touch these ribs. Cash's baby back ribs are in a league so far above that place that I'm kicking myself for not having discovered this gem years before now! One bite of these ribs and I knew my quest for excellent barbecue had come to an end.

For me, the final litmus test was going to be the side items. I'm almost positive that all the side items are made in-house. I thought, "Ok, so the pork is great, the ribs are fantastic, but can they get the hat trick? Will the side items be as outstanding or will they be simply adequate?" The answer? They're just as flavorful and incredible as the meat! I thought about buying larger containers, but since I'd never tried this place, I didn't want to get a lot of food in case it turned out to be disappointing. The only thing disappointing was running out of cole slaw, baked beans and potato salad! Every single one of those items was outstanding! The cole slaw was the perfect balance of creamy, tangy (a slight vinegar taste), and sweet. What I loved about it was that it was the perfect mixture. It wasn't too vinegary and it wasn't cloyingly sweet. It was just right! It's also visually some of the most appealing slaw I've seen in a while. Along with regular cabbage, they use some red cabbage, carrots and a bunch of other ingredients that they probably wouldn't divulge if I asked them! It's the perfect compliment to top off your barbecue pork sandwich! The potato salad was rich, creamy and the perfect balance of tart and sweet again. They've really dialed in the side item alchemy with these southern barbecue staples! IFinally, the beansaren't straight from a can. These beans had some shredded pork added to them, but they also had a very nice spicy flavor as well. There's a definite peppery finish to the beans that works so well in conjunction with the smoked meat and the creamy slaw and potato salad.

The next time I go back (which will be very soon), I will also try the banana pudding. I've heard it's great and, based on what I've tried, I'm looking forward to that!

All in all, Cash's is simply sublime southern food. No wonder it's the locals' favorite!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boca Raton, Florida
“Best in Franklin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Husband had the pulled pork, said it was one of the best.

Visited June 2012