“Great fun and really nice people!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Franklin
More attraction details
Owner description: Mason's Sapphire Mine is an all-natural, dig your own sapphire mine that has been in operation since 1942 in Franklin NC. Masons mine is a safe, fun, and unique experience to add to your family trip!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
15 attraction reviews
“Great fun and really nice people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We chose this mine because it isn't seeded or enriched and the reviews were so good on tripadvisor. Everyone truly was friendly and helpful. You have to be patient and not over expect since you are digging for stones as they are in the earth and not going through buckets with gems mixed in.

The $30 each seemed a little high, but it was for the whole day and you get constant help and attention the whole time you are there.

We came after a storm and apparently a cluster was exposed as there were 5 "bell ringers" (over 10 carats) and lots of other large sizes found. The four of us ended up with over 58 carats total weight (mostly really small, but one 4.25 carat and an 8.65 carat).

Brandon, Charlie and Ben can spot them quickly after all their years of experience and are really thorough in helping you spot them in your tray.

After a couple of hours you start seeing any of decent size on your own, but its always good to let them look over what you might have missed.

As the others said, wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty and bring a change of clothes. Also, bring a picnic lunch. Nice area with picnic tables.

Would recommend for a day of something really different to do. Little ones seem to lose interest after a bit, but the adults all seemed hooked and most everyone that came that morning stayed until closing.

Visited June 2013

“Must Go Here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

My family and I visited the mine from Boston. We had a BLAST! You wouldn't think that filling buckets of dirt and then sifting through it with water for 8 whole hours is fun but it sure is! I don't think our experience would have been the same without Brandon as our gem guide! He helped us identify sapphires throughout the day, was very informative and super nice! I would recommend this mine over ANY other mine in the Franklin area because it is one of the only natural mines there.

Visited May 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great time at Masons!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Visited the week of 04/15. Had a great time. Everyone is very friendly. Brandon was on the flume that day. He was very helpful and great to talk with. Also met and enjoyed talking with Todd. Had a bell ringer - 33 ct. sapphire. Largest find there in sometime. Also got a number of smaller sapphires. Wish I had another day to go back while visiting the area! Wear old clothes, bring a picnic lunch and dig in!

Atlanta
3 attraction reviews
“Mining the greenbacks from your wallet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was our first ruby & sapphire "mining" experience. Let me first say that everyone associated with this enterprise, from the woman ( owner?) at the office to the guys helping out at the flume, was uniformly pleasant, helpful and informative. Five stars for the service. I'm not sure that I ever recovered, though, from the $30 per person admission fee ( half price for my 6 year old) which buys you the use of some buckets ( it's an extra $5 to use a dolly to transport your filled buckets back to the flume), access to some shovels across a pretty stream, digging on the surface in a roughly 20'x20' area, dragging your dirt back to the flumes and sifting for rubies and sapphires. You can do this all day for your $30, but unless you are really a fanatic about this kind of thing, but I expect that two or three hours of this will be enough for most folks. Collectively, the four of us found about a dozen smallish sapphires and had a lot of fun for a couple of hours - my 6 year old wanted to keep going. This is a nice family outing/experience, but not a $30 a head family outing/experience. I would suggest repricing this at two levels - $20 a head for up to 3 hours and $30 a head for the all day maniac miners. Happy Trails.

“What a great day.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We were out on spring break just stopping by doing a few things seeing the area. We started the week by exploring other places. We seen a lot of the mountains. We seen this place and said let's go. We are so happy we did. There were six of us mining. We got two bell ringers. We got a lot of sapphires too. We don't care that they are not perfect stones. I just want to be able to say "i mined that stone." After someone asks me what it is. We have done a bunch of mining, but this place is a blast.