“Best Restaurant Downtown--By Far” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 450 Restaurants in Fayetteville
Cuisines: African
Watertown, New York
“Best Restaurant Downtown--By Far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been here multiple times, but it is excellent every time. I would go for the fish or oxtail stew, but there is a variety of stuff with different spices that you can try. The staff is very friendly and nice, and takes care to cook everything to their best, often offering samples of other food. You have to go to this place if you live in Fayetteville, it blows away a lot of the other downtown venues that rely only on their location and outdoor seating.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

North Carolina
“Wonderful lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I visited A Taste of West Africa on a Friday afternoon. I had the lunch special with chicken stew and my husband had oxtail. The special included a choice of rice (peas and rice, tomato rice or plain white rice) and a side of plantains. We both had the tomato rice. The meal was just delicious. The meats were fall-off-the-bone tender and very nicely seasoned, but not hot and spicy. We did get some of their hot sauce to add if we wanted, which we did. It was quite hot but very flavorful as well. The staff was friendly and the restaurant was clean and nicely appointed. There are several items on the menu that they suggest calling ahead for because they cook everything to order. We really enjoyed this meal and will be back with friends!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“I Adore this place... and the Owners!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Never having West African cuisine before, or for that matter any African cuisine before I was hesitant but felt adventurous after reading such wonderful reviews here. Once 30 ft from the front door you know you are going to get the best meal you have had in a very long time. It was intoxicating! The Staff, (All Family), were the most friendliest people we have met ! Ok..the food...it was BEYOND delicious! Believe me i'm not one that rates every place I eat as terrific but I have to give it to them. I had the Oxtails and rice with plantains. The portion was huge and the taste "HEAVENLY". I chased my spicy, saucy morsels with a tall glass of Mango Juice. The best meal, atmosphere, service, value, I have found. I can't wait to go back. Love you guys!

Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Super for Fayetteville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Wow, we finally made it to Taste of West Africa restaurant in downtown Fayetteville, North Carolina last night. As an African, I was critical about the authenticity of the food. I went in with two other friends from other African nations to give it a try and they met our expectations big time. The food is very authentic and really homemade. I had Kebab, Jollof rice and goat meat. The meat very tender that anybody can enjoy. Goat meat is not burnt with the skin and chewy as most Africans would want but I like the tender meat. Jollof rice was well cooked, flavorful, and not greasy. I tried the spinach stew with yams and the Okra stew from my friends and I just can't stop talking about how good of a taste you can find in the food. The prices are fairly good for the kind of dishes they are serving. The place is very clean, lovely environment and the mango juice just sealed the appetite. Am surely going back with my date now that school is on break. Thank you all for taking me home...see you soon.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“You must go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have been here three times, and have tried different food each time... and they've all been wonderful! The ingredients are fresh, the presentation is solid, and the spicing is... (pick several) wonderful . . unique . . aromatic . . sweet and hot . . carefully matched to the dish . . not what you're used to . . definitely homemade! When you go, try to be in a group that can appreciate different taste, so you can order several things off the menu and everyone can sample them!

The peanut butter based soup is brothy and creamy, without being overpowering. (Any soup can be ordered with fish, chicken, goat, beef, or tofu) I had peanut butter soup with chicken - a good match for me, the flavors work well together...

Stews are an African staple, made with ingredients from the area (Awo is from Ghana, so the flavors are from that part of the continent)... These ingredients include squash, spinach, tomatoes, onions, and legumes. Any stew can be spiced from mild to hot... and you can buy a jar of the hot fish "Shito" sauce to take home and share!!

The variety of appetizers is well thought out - you can get a variety of salads, small meat dishes, and other delicacies... and homemade mango or tamarind juice complements all the food well! Like another reviewer noted, order something different here, even if it's a ginger beer - - you'll appreciate the taste!!

There are not many African restaurants in the Carolinas, so this wonderful spot in Fayetteville must be supported, if only for the quality of the food and the great attitude of everyone that works there....