“Cheapest hotel in town & well appointed. Pleasantly surprised.” 4 of 5 stars

Travelers Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1211 North Road Street, Elizabeth City, NC 27909   |
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Elizabeth City
Portland, Oregon
“Cheapest hotel in town & well appointed. Pleasantly surprised.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

There aren't many hotels in Elizabeth City and they're all fairly expensive considering the location. After being quoted $71 for a double room at the Econolodge, we ended up at the Traveler's Inn. It's a little ways out of town but closer to the highway if that's where you're coming from. We were quoted $55 plus taxes for a double by the nice Indian couple who run the place, but they accepted our flat $45 offer. We didn't know til later that a beachfront room with a free breakfast in nearby Kill Devil Hills was only $39 this time of year, but you do now!

We were pleasantly surprised by the room: it was large, clean, and quiet (except for the occasional police car speeding past with lights and siren on) and included HBO, a microwave, a mini fridge, hair dryer, coffee maker, local guide brochures, and an on-site ice maker (.25 a bucket) and soda machines.

We didn't see any of the filth other people have described; the room was actually quite clean except for some crumbs along the base of the beds. We recommend the hotel if you absolutely have to stay in Elizabeth City, otherwise head for Kill Devil Hills where they're abundant and cheaper in the off season.

• Stayed February 2013
TravelersInn1211, Manager at Travelers Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are one of Elizabeth City's gems and take pride in our employees when our guests are satisfied. We take pride in our clean rooms. We hope you choose to stay with us in the near future!

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Room was clean, freshly and nicely painted. New furniture and refrigerator. Property is well-lit and recently painted.
Air conditioning worked great... room was 55 degrees as someone has left it on for a while (on low!) Staff courteous and very helpful in morning when we asked about a breakfast place. If you need bagels, Elizabeth City doesn't have much but they sent us to the Farm Fresh which has a bakery and a Starbucks. Hotel is very convenient to the Dismal Swamp State Park, about 20 mins away. It's beautiful and has a boardwalk. We kayaked the Dismal Swamp Canal, awesome. Traveler's Inn is a simple room, relatively inexpensive but quite comfortable. Wifi worked well.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit in Elizabeth City, NC. We take pride in our clean,comfortable rooms. We hope you chose to stay with us again soon!
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed 3 nights on business and switching hotels was not an option. I do not know what my company paid for the room so I can't rate the value. My advise is to bring flip flops as it is quite evident that this motels vacume cleaner is either broken or non-existant. A very musty and dusty room. Those who suffer from asthma or allergies should not stay here! It took over an hour each morning after leaving the room for my sinus cavities to clear. Linins were a little moth eaten but appeared to have been washed recently. A co-worker staying in another room said his bed sheets had cigarette holes. The walls were dirty and in need of repainting. The fushia and yellow walls along with the red carpets are quite arresting. The paint scheme did nothing to create a relaxing environment. Although there is no coffee maker in the room there is a one in the office as well as wheat flakes and packaged danish for the continental breakfast. If you ask the managers to brew up a pot of coffee they will. A good number of the people staying in the motel were actual residents so maybe they are trying to cut operating costs or limit available services to them. The motel is built facing a busy highway but the constant drone of the a/c drowns it out pretty effectively.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

I was a bit apprehensive about the low price for this hotel. My travel was work related, so I had a budget to adhere to. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and the internet service was great. This is a no frills, low budget place to stay. I would not choose it as a vacation destination, but for a work trip it was perfect. The bed was clean and so was the restroom.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Johnson City, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I have never written a bad review on any place I have ever stayed. But I feel the need to post this on everything I can. First of all, let me say that the owners are very nice people. I don't think they know what they are doing wrong. They have purchased an old, beaten up, outdated piece of property. and painted it with ugly colors.There was no HBO as advertised. If you want ice, it will cost you 25 cents. The TV's are old. I paid $70 per night. I did note the cancellation policy before I booked: One night's rate. There was a torrential rain, and I had driven very far. I was so tired, and it was very dark, or I would have gladly forked over the $70 and moved elsewhere and paid more. The bathroom was clean, but the shower had very low water pressure. The carpet was filthy, and the room smelled funny. The sheets were polyester. While I slept, I was bitten all over by bugs I never saw. After I returned home, I was very sick for two weeks with the flu. I am never sick. I will stay elsewhere if I ever return to Elizabeth City.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I picked this room up pretty cheap. That was the only good thing about it. Upon check in I found out that they had lost my reservation and had to haggle over the reserved price. Once that was done I proceeded to my room. When I entered it had the usual motel room musty smell so I crank on the A/C which worked well. As I was turning on the A/C I noticed a lot of debris under it. So i visually checked out the rest of the carpet and realized that it hadn't been vacuumed in quite some time. I'm not kidding when I say this but there was actually pepperoni in the floor. I called my wife and told her it's a good thing I was alone because there's no way I would let her or my daughter stay in a room that filthy. The counter tops in the bathroom had red sticky stuff on them and so did the night stand, table and dresser. I cleaned them my self before putting anything at all on them. I carefully inspected the bed and decided the linens were clean at least. While in the room for the 10-12 hours I was there i tried to make sure I didn't go bare footed on the carpet. Once or twice I forgot to slip on my flip flops when walking in the room and it turned my feet black on the bottom sides. Here's the kicker the next morning I get up to shower and shave and turn on the shower and no hot water. Cold showers on the road at 6 in morning are not my idea of fun. BE WARNED DON'T STAY HERE. You'll be sorry if you do.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Wayne, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

This is the very first time we have said anything negative about any hotel, motel or B&B in our Trip Advisor reviews. However, the situation demands it. We booked a room for one night as we were about to begin a week long rental in the Outer Banks, North Carolina. It is wise to get a room near the Outer Banks on Friday night to cut down on the bumper to bumper traffic on Saturday morning. Friday nights get sold out everywhere near the Outer Banks because everyone has the same game plan.

We booked a room for my wife, my son and me several days in advance, and gave Travelers a credit card to secure the room. We thought we were all set. We drove for 7 hours Friday and reached the Travelers at about 2:30 am on Saturday, exhausted. The office door was locked, so I used my cell phone to call the office. When someone answered, he said they were sold out. When I told them I had booked a room with my credit card, he said there was no booking under my name. He had no sympathy for our situation, and offered no help of any kind.

We got back in the car and went from hotel to motel for another hour or so, and finally found a room at 4:00 am, through sheer luck.

Those are the facts. Be warned.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Travelers Inn? Share your experiences!