“Feel like a new person” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabeth City
Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
609 W Main Street, Elizabeth City, NC 27909   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Feel like a new person”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Nicest hosts ever! The place was wonderful! Very quiet and relaxing. The hosts bent over backwards to make us comfortable. Really made our anniversary special. Even the cats were friendly. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Newnan, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Wow, this place is fantastic. We stayed there while in town for a USO show for the Coast Guard. The service that they provided was great. Everyone there was so friendly and helpful. It was almost like staying at your own home. I can't say enough about this place. We can't wait to go back now that we found this Bed and Breakfast. Well done everyone!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Culpepper Inn twice now and both times it was a wonderfully relaxing and comfortable stay. The Inn keepers Holly and Melanie are most friendly and helpful. We stayed in the separate house from the Main house because we cherish our privacy. We spent 4 nights and hated to leave. Mostly, we loved the breakfast every morning. So nicely done with courses of fruit cup, then either savory or sweet. Either choice is delicious! Then, just to make sure their guests are happy and well fed, there are little pastries and cookies placed around to satisfy anyone's sweet tooth. Coffee and tea are available all day. I really felt pampered. Oh, and the pool is salt water. What a treat. Culpepper Inn is a wonderful experience and we will be back.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the separate house but the Main house is absolutely beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Culpepper I, Owner at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
You certainly made our jobs easy! Such a delightful opportunity for us to serve and get to know you. It is always humbling to have guests return and it really contributes to our commitment to make everyone feel like family. Thank you for your generous observations and we look forward to your return.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at the Culpepper Inn for three nights and it was wonderful. We had never stayed at a bed and breakfast before, and we're glad we did! We may never stay in a regular hotel again! Holly and Melanie were very cordial and helpful. The breakfast was delicious! Our only complaint is that it had to be over.
We stayed in the French Room. It's a very private room with a view to the pool. There were no neighboring rooms to the sides, only in front. The room was very spacious and comfortable. I strongly recommend staying here. We hope to go back again!

Room Tip: The French Room (guest house) is very private.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
It is so rewarding to introduce guests to the B&B experience. Our community has many delightful B&B options and we are so happy ours was your first. Thank you for your kind words. They provide much encouragement to our family business.
New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was my first time to stay in a Bed and Breakfast, and I was not disappointed.The accommodations were very comfortable and inviting. The next time I'm in Elizabeth City this will definitely be the place to stay. Holly and Melanie are very gracious and accommodating hostesses.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Culpepper I, Owner at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We were delighted to be your first B&B experience and to have the opportunity to host you! We hope you will be encouraged to make the selection of B&B's as your accommodation of choice in the future and please return to us if your travels take you this way again!
Friendship, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This place has so much potential and, indeed, the grounds and decor are some of the nicest I've experienced. The actual experience of staying at the inn, however, so undercut all that was lovely about the space that I was looking for lodging alternatives by the end of the my stay. Each room contains at least extremely strong--and often conflicting--plug-in room freshener, which created an overwhelming aura of synthetic florals. They are plugged into outmoded sockets which do not accept three-pronged power cords, and thus left me unable to complete my work (this was a business trip). Most discouraging, however, was the tone set by the three page rule sheet I was asked to study upon my check-in, which contained a dizzying list of protocols concerning who could be where at what time. Although it clearly stated that breakfast was served from 7:30-9:30, I was told that my request to eat at 7:30 could not be accommodated. And so, consulting Rule #17.5 (or was that 71.5?), I made my way to the Tavern Room, the one place paying guests are allowed to eat their own food. There, I found dirty dishes, a disused freezer with what looked BBQ sauce smeared on it, and empty take out containers. Later that night, I was treated to heavy construction (think table saws and nail guns) above my head until 9:00 pm. I would have poured myself a drink and endured it as best as I could, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule about that, too. A great experience if you're looking to relive parochial school days, but not much fun otherwise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
This is a very humbling and difficult part of this wonderful work. Since reviews are allowed to be anonymous, it is hard to know what to say to a review like this.I will try to address each point.
We have never had a guest from Friendship, Maryland. We use only one scent in the entire venue-Lavender. We have extensive lavender gardens and we utilize it to enhance our guests impressions. One of the most conistent compliments we receive is how clean and fresh smelling our venue is.
We have no rule list. At registration we provide the common guest information including hours of operation, housekeeping availability, security and wi-fi codes, etc.
We allow our guests to choose the time they wish to be served breakfast rather than having a single seating and our hours always start at 8am and are published as such on everything printed relating to our venue. We have never served 7:30am breakfast. Ours is a multi-course, extensive breakfast in keeping with the traditional contrast from a hotel, grab-and-go breakfast. As a family business, we start our day at 5:30am to freshly prepare our 8am breakfasts and our day rarely ends before 11pm. We offer all guests three options, our breakfast, the option of a reduced rate and a local bistro recommendation within walking distance that serves starting at 7am or a self-help area to self prepare breakfast.
We are proud of our extensive common areas, including our self-help Tavern Room provided as a courtesy where we delight in seeing guests gather to socialize and snack. We clean this space first thing every morning and each evening. We request guests to clean up after themselves in between as a courtesy to those who use the space behind them.
We offer extensive fresh baked goods and refreshments throughout our venue 24 hours a day and guests are expressly told they may enjoy our refreshments or their own throughout our venue, with no restriction.
We have part-time maintenance and housekeeping staff that never do work before 10am or after 6pm unless their is an emergency involving safety like electric, plumbing or security. In that case, all guests would be informed of the circumstances. We are however located in a historic residential neighborhood where real life does occur for our wonderful neighbors.
One of the most unique features of our Inn is the options. We have a Main Inn where we meticulously preserve without apology the historic character of 4 rooms, and our guest house where we have 7 modern rooms with contemporary features. All of our venue inside and out has cable and wireless internet. All guests are made aware of the options and differences and our many, many guests with the need to access modern amenities for work etc. choose the accommodation that is best suited for that. We are within walking distance of a Federal Courthouse for example and often have lawyers stay with us for this convenience who also need modern conveniences.
Our guests who choose a historic Inn and then a room in the historic part of the Inn despite other options, appreciate and anticipate the historic features. Even our 4 traditional B&B rooms however, are equipped with 3 prong converters and safety strip plugs for their modern electronics.
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights in the main house in the early part of May 2013. We selected the Crown Room and were very comfortable. I believe we were the only guests in the main house at the time, and we got to peek in the other main house rooms and all appeared that they would be comfortable. This is a historic property that is kept up well. Everything you would expect to work does, and it's clean and fresh.

We had one breakfast at the inn--absolutely delicious and filling! Warm, hospitable service. We had one breakfast at a local eatery. At the time of our visit, the inn does not provide breakfasts on Mondays (the rate is reduced accordingly), and so we had breakfast at the recommended Sidney's Cafe. That was delicious as well.

All in all, this is what I would expect from a B&B that's doing it right--comfortable, clean rooms, and delicious breakfasts.

We were not there when they have more of their activities going on around the pool (music etc) or when more guests were there, so I can't comment as to those aspects.

If we're in Elizabeth City again, we would stay here.

Room Tip: We preferred the decor/feel of the Crown Room in the main house.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Culpepper I, Manager at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
It is always wonderful to have some extra time to share the house with guests. We consider the stewardship of sharing this historic property a distinct honor. Thanks for taking the time and interest in the whole property and it's history and sharing your thoughts with others.

Been to Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!