“Wonderful B&B in a beautiful, historic small town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Captain's Quarters Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edenton
Captain's Quarters Inn
You added Captain's Quarters Inn to your Saves list
202 West Queen Street, Edenton, NC 27932   |
Special Offer
20% Off Your 3rd Night
Ranked #2 of 8 Edenton B&B and Inns
Raleigh
“Wonderful B&B in a beautiful, historic small town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Captain's Quarters Inn hosted by Don & Diane Pariseau. We chose the Wine & Dine package. We had room 7, the Capt. Dennis Connors room. It was spacious, quiet and full of afternoon light coming through 4 windows. The furnishings were nautical themed, the bead comfortable and the room clean. In the evening after we arrived, we had a wine tasting with cheese in the Victorian parlor. Don & Diane formerly ran a restaurant in Napa Valley and Don is knowledgeable about wines. We had 2 whites, and 2 reds paired with 3 cheeses. It was very informal and Don is very interesting to talk with.
Saturday's breakfast was whole wheat pancakes topped with cooked apples and homemade sausage. The pancakes were light and went well with the perfectly seasoned sausage. Sat. morning we took a 2 1/2 hr walking tour of the town that started from the Visitor's center. We learned much of Edenton's history and got to see the interiors of a number of historic houses.
That evening about 8 of the guests at the inn had a gourmet dinner prepared by Diane. The menu was a first course of Alaskan Cod marinated with turmeric, wrapped in rice paper and served in a light ginger broth. The second course was beef tenderloin sauced with red wine & shiitake mushrooms, served with white truffle mashed potatoes and grilled winter vegetables. The courses were accompanied by a 2008 Mad Fish Bay Chardonnay & a 2007 Lodi Cabernet Sauvignon. Dessert was caramelized Coconut Budino pudding with poached pear. Everyone thought the tenderloin was the best they had ever had and all of the other dishes were equally excellent.
Sunday morning we had another wonderful breakfast of omelet filled with goat cheese, leeks and tomatoes, accompanied by bacon, creamy cheese grits, and an oatmeal scone.
Don and Diane are gracious hosts and we are planning to return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
sailordoode12
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

This is by far one of the best inns I have ever been to. Don and Dianne were extemely friendly and open about events and going-ons in the town. They even recomended a nearby place to buy fine wine when I was looking for a specific brand! Not only that but when I returned Don decanted it for me! We then enjoyed half the bottle laughing and joking on the front porch. The rooms are spotless, even the tops of the picture frames are clean. I also had the pleasure of enjoying dinner which was beyond words. The pork was cooked to prefection and deliciously tender. The vegtables were nicely done and would have eaten a few pounds if given the chance. The bread was homemade, I havent ever eaten anything better. I have also always been a bit of a sailor and Don sceduled me to go for a sailing trip with a good friend of his which quickly became a good friend of mine. The town is very nice and In fact I can only think of one problem with my entire trip. That is nothing in the town is open on sunday except the movie theather which is only open very late. Other then that, whenever im in the area I will never even bother to look anywhere else, Im sure I have found the best place available.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

This is probably the worst B & B I have stayed in and it does not appear to be properly maintained. The plumbing is old and in poor condition. The walls are so thin that I could hear someone snoring in the neighboring room. Also could hear the owners arguing through the floor boards downstairs. I had a problem with my room and was surprised at the lack of customer service skills by one of the owners. They are from New England, so that is why I indicated not to expect "Southern Hospitality." The B & B next door would have been a much nicer place to stay, will do that next time I am in the area. It is overpriced for the type of accommodations.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
dpariseau, Owner at Captain's Quarters Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
First of all I don’t appreciate you making up things. My wife and I don’t argue and if you heard talking it may have been from a loud TV in your sisters room next door or someone in the hallway. Your room was in the front of the house on the second floor and we live on the first floor in the back of the house. As for your shower problem as I stated to you at breakfast all you had to do was call, there is a phone in every room and it would have been fix immediately ( which took 30 seconds to fix) you could have also taken a bath if you didn’t want to call. We take great pride maintaining this OLD house but every now and then something will happen as in any house. Also taking $30 off of your $138 bill which included dinner with wine and a room for the night is a bit much for a problem that could have taken care of quickly. But a review like this is certainly not warranted, just because you feel the need for a discount. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Don Pariseau
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Everything was nice enough, and clean enough, however I was not impressed enough to want to race back even for a vacation. I was originally impressed by the fact that these folks were into wine and cooking, however as a business traveler I did not get to experience any of that. I could have paid for a glass of wine, but I did not feel very welcome. Breakfast was not available until 8am, which does not suit the business traveler.
My first room was incredibly warm, and the windows did not open due to the antiquity of the structure. I do have to say that the building was beautiful. The hostess moved me to another room that was dark and masculine with a tiny bathroom. The good thing was that the second room had at least a 22" television where the first had a 12". They did what they could with the bath, however the tub was really stained. The bed was horribly hard and the blanket was old and shabby.
The positives to the business traveler is that they do have wireless throughout, and the location is convenient.
As a side note, there is no ATT cell coverage in Edenton, NC.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

My mom saw an ad for this B&B several months ago. What caught her eye about it was the wine and dine package and the fact one of the owners is a chef formerly from Napa, CA. We talked about going as a foursome (with dad and my husband) but we had trouble getting it scheduled.

A few weeks ago, my husband and my plans to visit friends in Alabama fell through. We REALLY wanted to get away for a few days. I remembered this place and called them to see if we could get an RSVP for the two night wine and dine package.

They were full for Friday and Saturday but, since our scheudle was flexible, we made an RSVP for Wednesday and Thursday. This turned out to be quite nice since we were the only people there Wednesday night and only one other person was there Thursday night. Not that it's awful to have other guests there; we just wanted "peace and quiet" and we got it!

The inn is easy to find. Parking was under a car port at the back of the inn.

We rang the bell and one of the co-owners, Don (Don and Diane are husband and wife; Diane is the chef) greeted us warmly.

We arranged for our wine tasting (wine tasting the first night, a four course dinner the 2nd, hence "wine and dine") to be for 5:30. Don inquired when we wanted our morning coffee delivered (to our door, no less!) and what time we wanted our full breakast. We decided 7:30 and 9:00, respectively.

Don took us up to our room; there are 8 total in the inn; 6 upstairs and 2 downstairs. To get to the six up, you go out of the parlor of the inn to a door on the porch that you enter and go upstairs. We opted for the Captain of Her Heart room since it had a jacuzzi tub. This room is in the back of the house; very quiet. The room was sort of small but nicely appointed and the bed was very comfortable (word to the wise; it is a full size bed so unless you are willing to get extra cozy, you might not want this room!)

The bathroom was huge with a separate shower, the tub and a water closet complete with galley style doors.

The tub was also very large and came equipped with rubber duckies!

Edenton is a small town; not a whole lot to do (especially in January when it can be cold and breezy). We opted to spend a lot of time in the room napping, reading, soaking in the tub, etc. We did venture out for dinner Wednesday night (Sean's, which I will also review) and then the following day we wandered around the town for several hours (ending back up at Sean's for a few beers).

Our wine tasting was nice; Don had four wines paired with three different types of cheese. We chatted easily and met their dog Max and cat Gracie (note: we LOVE animals so we welcomed the opportunity to interact with them; Don did try to put them away, so, no worries if you don't like animals, they won't be allowed to pester you!) While chatting, we discovered that my husband, in a former life with a former wife, had actually eaten at Don and Diane's restaurant in Napa! Small world!

Don recommended Sean's for dinner (mostly because the other restaurant in town was closed for vacation).

After dinner, we walked back to the inn (it is conveniently located about 5 minutes from the water front area) and hung out on the porch to smoke a cigar (smoking is only allowed out on the porch; a very good thing).

Coffee and breakfast bread arrived promptly at our door (left discreetly, no knocking) at 7:30. When we entered the cozy dining room at 9:00, it was to find plates of fresh, season fruit laid out for us. After fruit (and OJ and more coffee), we were presented with white chedder and spinach omelets, Yankee grits (I called them "grits on a stick", they were excellent) and toast from home made bread. This breakfast filled us up so much that we did not eat anything else (save the beer) until dinner time at 6:30.

What a treat this dinner was! Truly a five star experience paired with two excellent wines. To start was a Chardonnay from Australia served with the first and second courses. The first course was a fresh flounder fillet which had been marinated in tumeric (spice), wrapped in rice paper, lightly sauteed, and served in a ginger-garlic broth along with some wilted spinach. The second course was a Caesar salad with home made dressing and croutons. The main course, served with an old vine red (which we'd tasted the night before and very much enjoyed) was slices of garlic pork loin served with lentils and roasted winter vegetables. Dessert was a dark chocolate torte in raspberry sauce with Tootsie Roll sorbet.

Needless to say, we were stuffed (portions were generous) and very happy!

Breakfast the next morning was home made sausage, whole wheat pancakes with blueberry compote and more fresh fruit.

Check out was easy and painless; we felt the amount we paid (slightly less than $400 for the two nights, the meals and the jacuzzi room (being a bit extra) was absolutely worth it.

We most definitely will return; hopefully in the Spring or early Fall when the weather is a bit milder. It would be nice to sit out on the huge porch and sip a glass or two of wine.

In addition to the wine and dine, they offer several other packages or just a room with breakfast. They also sell bottles of wine, 1/2 bottles, glasses and cheese plates. And, judging from the foursome that ate dinner with us Thursday night (locals), people come just for the dinner, too.

• Liked — Everything, but especially the food!
  • Disliked — The weather while we were there!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Central NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

A lovely, quiet bed & breakfast. Very relaxing, with excellent meals. Offered a prix-fixe dinner (included in our package) that was superb.

• Liked — Quiet, relaxing, soothing music always playing.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

I took my husband, mother and father as a Christmas Gift. I chose to do the Mystery Weekend. We didn't know what to expect, but were very pleasantly surprised. Don is an excellent host and Diane a wonderful chef.... The service was perfect. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Food and Wine, GREAT! We had a wonderful time and met some very nice people. We enjoyed the town, shop and shop keepers... We hope to go back again!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Captain's Quarters Inn? Share your experiences!