“Excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3001 Cameron Blvd., Durham, NC 27705   |
Ranked #3 of 67 hotels in Durham
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This inn is as luxurious as it gets.The service is top notch.We arrived here for a wedding at the Duke University Chapel and made a nice weekend out of it.This is also a golfers dream location.The main golf course is right out side the Inn along with a driving range and putting green.The inn is deep in its history with many photos and artifacts through out the halls of the Inn and of all of Duke's.The scenery is beautiful around the campus area with walking paths and easy access to the campus grounds.There are three restaurants,a lounge and many public sitting rooms.An indoor pool and small workout room with lockers are located with easy access on the lower floor.This place is worth the price.

Room Tip: The rear rooms have a nice view of the golf course
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

388 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had the opportunity to stay here on a recent trip to Raleigh Durham. The staff genuinely cared about providing exceptional guest service and I was most impressed by the fact that the valet remembered my name when I bumped into him in the hallway. I would expect him to remember my name when looking at my ticket, but doing that out of context was very impressive. The desk and dining room staff were equally attentive. I was hoping to get in a round of golf but the weather didn't cooperate. The course looks fantastic, so I will be back.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Jr Suite facing the golf course. It was quiet and had a great view.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

If you want to feel pampered and find a place to re-charge, The Washington Duke is an excellent place to be. There is a golf court, indoor pool and wonderful restaurants. The setting is right off of the Duke campus so if you want to take a brisk walk, the scenery is beautiful. The staff is well trained and very willing to help. The lobby always has a glorious fresh flowers.

Room Tip: Rooms near the golf entrance are less traveled and a bit more secluded.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Having grown up in nearby Hope Valley, my many trips back to my hometown are further enhanced by the WD&GC. Welcoming, efficient, elegant and hospitable. What else could one ask for in a fine hotel? If I had to nitpik, the food at the grill is far inferior to what is served in the main dining area. But other than that, I'm a lifetime customer.

Room Tip: Try and book far from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stay here on a regular basis, as we attend most of the Duke basketball games. The games are a short walk from the hotel.

We usually stay in a suite and add one additional room. The rooms are small, but nicely appointed. The staff is attentive and responsive to requests and details. It is exactly what one should expect at this price point.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We had great service and a pleasant room with a view over the golf course. There's a great bar on the ground floor with a nice cocktail menu. The gym was small but sufficient.I would stay there again.

Harrah, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hotel is very nice. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. I am a grad student that has to visit the campus several times during my program and wanted to stay somewhere safe and I needed a shuttle to the campus so I wouldn't have to rent a car.

I found the best deal on the hotel website a few weeks before I left for my trip. They had a "3-night special" for $139/nt. It was comparable to a place I already booked so I decided to change my reservation to this hotel. The special only lasted a couple of days, as some of my classmates tried to get it and could not. The best deal I ever saw on Expedia/other sites was $159/nt, so I would recommend to check the hotel site or ask about this special when booking.

The hotel is very grand and beautiful. The rooms are VERY clean. The air in the rooms always smells fresh and clean which I have not experienced before. The Hilton has "clearn-air" rooms, but this smelled cleaner. It really seemed as if they had opened the windows everyday before I came back to my room.

I was originally in a ADA room on the 2nd floor, I am assuming because I had the special deal, which was fine at first. The room was clean and beautiful. The problem was the heavy handheld shower. My stay lasted 4 days and I could not use a handheld shower the entire time. Also, there was only a pedestal sink, no room for my toiletries. After the first night, I requested a room change and Sydney, a young woman at the front desk was very accomodating with my request.

The bellman even moved my bags for me to the new room since I had class all day. When I returned, I was in room 228 next to the elevators on the second floor. The room was grand and beautiful, but not quiet. I could hear girls laughing by the elevators and the front doors to rooms opening and closing every night until midnight and again the next morning. I really wished at this point I had stayed in the ADA room since it was quieter. I think there is another review on here from a guy who stayed by the elevators with the same problem. I would avoid this at all costs.

We went to eat at the Bull Durham restaurant on a Friday night. The place was packed with people and the wait for tables was long. We met the manager, I think his name was Alejandro? or something like that. After he found out we were staying in the hotel, he opened up the patio to seating with a heater so we could be seated immediately! Talk about first class service! And the food was phenomenal. I had a salad with homemade citrus fig dressing and the crabcakes. To die for. I had a Greensboro Hummingbird beer that was amazing as well. Best meal I ate while in Durham.

Overall, the stay was nice except for the door and noise issues. I enjoyed staying at this grand hotel. I am just a grad student, and not a dressy snob, but I was treated with the same first-class service as they would treat a king. I appreciate that. Just wish they would employ some noise-reducing measures for those rooms by the elevators.

Room Tip: Choose a room AWAY from the elevators. You will be hearing doors slamming and people laughing all ni...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club? Share your experiences!