“Yes to this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Savannah, United States
“Yes to this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed here for a week while moving our daughter into her Duke apartment. Most everything was perfect. The shuttle taking you to any location within 5 miles was a nice perk and eliminated the need for a rental car. Only problem was a slow drain in the bathroom. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Houston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This hotel was an "experience" -- from the fun, friendly lobby to the quiet, luxurious room. My 14-year-old grandson and I were there to check him into a summer education program at Duke, and we both really enjoyed ourselves. The food was excellent, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This was our first time staying here, hotel was very clean and the rooms were super nice. Pool was nice. Great location. The staff was very friendly. I have to come here once a year and will definitly be staying here next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Convenient to Durham Performing Arts Center. Clean facility. Shuttle provided to and from the venue. Bar/room service not available after 11pm. The animal lovers would appreciate that pets are allowed. We would stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New Melle, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stay here frequently while on business trips. I find the location and facilities relaxed and for the most part very quiet. It is convenient to all major roads, but far enough away to not have constant road noise. I find the lobby and the bar clean and relaxing and the staff friendly and helpful.

Durham, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

The lobby looks decent. However, the hotel is poorly designed. The elevators had issues. To take the stairs you had to walk a mile. They messed up my room and then lied on my face that I did not state my preference when I booked my room (which I did and paid extra for it). I stayed in a Suit that smelled cigarette (this is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel). The air conditioning system was noisy. Couldn't sleep properly. Would not recommend it to anyone!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

dougpender10, Manager at Hilton Durham near Duke University, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Anil T,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is important to us and we will be sure to use it to improve the service and accommodations that we provide. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were given a room that smelled of cigarette smoke. We are a 100% non-smoking hotel and we strive to ensure that all guest rooms are maintained smoke-free. We have reviewed your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance team to ensure that future guests do not experience a similar issue. I am also sorry to hear that you did not like the layout of the hotel. We are working on an updated property map that more clearly identifies the three stairwells that are located to provide easy access from all 195 guest rooms.

Thank you again for helping us to improve in these areas so that we can provide the best hotel experience possible for our valued guests. I do hope that you will give us a second chance to accommodate you in the future, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly to arrange your reservation.

Kind Regards,

Doug
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This felt like a lower tier Hilton Brand hotel than an main stream tier Hilton. Location wasn't great. Pool only open 10am to 10pm. Staff seemed to fumble with complimentary breakfast tickets everymorning. Not bad, but just a lower tier brand hotel experience. Hopefully the pricing you pay will reflect this.

Dear briano586,
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Tripadvisor community. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not provide the experience that you are accustomed to at other Hilton properties. We share the same promise to ensure that every guest feels valued, cared for, and respected, and I want to assure you that we care very much about your experience at the Hilton Durham near Duke University. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with the breakfast coupons, as well as your dissatisfaction regarding the pool hours, and our location.

I will certainly review your comments with our maintenance staff regarding the pool hours, to see if we can open earlier or close later. We do take time each morning and evening to thoroughly check the pool for safety and cleanliness, however we also want to ensure that we balance this with the needs of our guests and provide access at hours that are convenient.

We are located within 2 miles of Duke and the downtown area with easy access to two major highways, but I can understand that it can be a challenge to find your way around. We do offer a complimentary shuttle service that runs seven days a week from 7am - 11pm, which we find is very helpful to guests visiting the area.

I am also confident that you will not have the same problems with the breakfast coupon process, thank you for allowing us to address this.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are visiting the Durham area. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to arrange your reservation.

Kind Regards,

Doug

Been to Hilton Durham near Duke University? Share your experiences!