“Great hotel for a Duke visit!” 4 of 5 stars

Book now and save 20%
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Durham
GreenLeadersBronze level
OLIVE BRANCH
“Great hotel for a Duke visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at this Hilton for a recent football game against Duke. Location was perfect and shuttle to/from Duke was a huge perk! Hotel was clean and nice and very quiet. Some reviews mentioned that the Duke football team stays there the night before games, but don't worry about that, you'll never know they are there, they are on their best behavior (and they are Duke kids, for heaven's sake!). We did eat dinner at the restaurant one night and my husband ate the breakfast buffet and both were very good, much better than typical hotel food. Service was great, very friendly, especially considering we were fans of the opposing team. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben L, General Manager at Hilton Durham near Duke University, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for sharing comments about your visit to the Hilton Durham near Duke University.

As you noted, our complementary shuttle service to and from Duke make getting around campus quick and easy. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon as Duke Basketball starts this weekend! While in Durham, be sure to check out the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC). It the #1 venue in the U.S. for its size and offers outstanding, first rate shows like "Jersey Boys".
See you soon!

Ben Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have been staying at this Hilton for Duke sporting events and have been tremendously impressed with Leandra, Kimberly and the rest of the desk staff. I have many friends that stay here as well and have been very pleased as well. They have consistently gone "above and beyond" to meet my room needs, are very attentive and friendly. The hotel staff is courteous, the rooms are clean, and the restaurant is nice also.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were staying at the Hilton for my daughter to go to a medical appointment. She was not feeling well, at all. Everyone at the hotel went out of their way to make sure that she had everything she could possibly need to be comfortable. When we got home, I realized that I left a small bag. They made sure I got it back and were so nice about it.

Room Tip: The hotel is newly remodeled and gorgeous. The beds are extremely comfortable. I think all the rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ben L, General Manager at Hilton Durham near Duke University, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit to the Hilton Durham near Duke University. It is wonderful to hear our team members ensured you and your daughter were comfortable, and we hope that your daughter is feeling better. Part of our mission is to complement the amazing care patients receive at Duke Medical Center and we have come to know many families over the years as they return for treatment. I also hope that you took advantage of our complementary shuttle service to and from the hospital while you were with us. Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to your return.
Ben Logan
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We have had a few days to spend at the Duke Medical Center, and stayed the first time at the Durham Hilton, and never thought about going anyplace else. I think our first stay there was 4 years ago, and at that time I wrote a note to management about an employee in the restaurant named Dan. Dan got to know me as we stayed there on and off over a few weeks. I would come down early to work at the computer station in the lobby. Dan would bring me coffee as soon as I showed up, which was often an hour or so before the restaurant opened. He has since taken care of both me and my wife as we stayed there for surgery and follow ups over the years. As he said to us when we came down for breakfast yesterday, he wants to make sure we think of the HIlton as our home in Durham. He makes the stay worthwhile all by himself.

And by the way, the rooms are quiet and clean, and the front desk staff is terriffic. THey just upgraded several floors and those rooms are terriffic. If you are senstitive to road noise, ask to stay on the Hillsboro Road side, the other side picks up some truck noise from the interstate.

Room Tip: Hillsboro Road side has less road noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is the hotel that Duke football team uses the night before a game so if you want a room with 2 beds do not expect to check in within 3 hours of a home football game. The hotel is clean well appointed. Good night sleep. Staff very helpful and friendly with any problem or check-in. Did not eat in the hotel so cannot evaluate food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben L, General Manager at Hilton Durham near Duke University, responded to this review, September 28, 2012

It's great to hear that you experienced a good nights sleep while staying with us. In fact, just last month we replaced every bed in the hotel to ensure our guests "sleep well". Next time we have the honor of welcoming you back, please give our Bluestone Grill a try and enjoy some of the flavors of Carolina... You'll be glad you did.

Warm Regards,
Ben Logan General Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was on a solo road trip with my dog, so I didn't take advantage of most of this hotel's offerings.

Checking in was a breeze, and having someone help me with my baggage was just what I needed. The desk clerk reminded me of the pet fee, which I knew about, but I appreciated the reminder. Yon don't want that to be a surprise. I was invited to a wine reception, which I appreciated, but I opted to stay with my dog in the room.

I ordered room service for dinner and breakfast. Both came on time and served hot.

The bed was VERY comfortable. The room was clean, and the bathroom was clean with a great shower and more than enough towels.

My only suggestion is that perhaps you could charge a cleaning deposit for dogs, and if no cleaning is necessary, perhaps it is refunded. I realize that not all dogs are as well behaved as my own, and I understand why an additional fee is necessary to cover cleaning costs. But, I don't think I should have to pay extra if no extra cleaning is needed. I paid an extra $50 for a 10-lb dog who did not soil the room.

Overall, I would without hesitation stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was here at the Hilton near Duke University for 2 weeks for a training. I loved it! The hotel staff is exceptional, and very friendly! I loved talking to them, and they jumped at the chance to help me. Eva the friendliest front desk person I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. Two weeks is a long time to stay somewhere, but the Hilton staff made my training trip feel like I was at home. Thanks!

Room Tip: The floors 4th and down are totally new and really nice!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Durham near Duke University? Share your experiences!