“One night for football” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Knoxville, Tennessee
“One night for football”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is the hotel that Duke football team uses the night before a game so if you want a room with 2 beds do not expect to check in within 3 hours of a home football game. The hotel is clean well appointed. Good night sleep. Staff very helpful and friendly with any problem or check-in. Did not eat in the hotel so cannot evaluate food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben L, General Manager at Hilton Durham near Duke University, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing comments about your visit to the Hilton Durham near Duke University.

It's great to hear that you experienced a good nights sleep while staying with us. In fact, just last month we replaced every bed in the hotel to ensure our guests "sleep well". Next time we have the honor of welcoming you back, please give our Bluestone Grill a try and enjoy some of the flavors of Carolina... You'll be glad you did.

Warm Regards,
Ben Logan General Manager

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was on a solo road trip with my dog, so I didn't take advantage of most of this hotel's offerings.

Checking in was a breeze, and having someone help me with my baggage was just what I needed. The desk clerk reminded me of the pet fee, which I knew about, but I appreciated the reminder. Yon don't want that to be a surprise. I was invited to a wine reception, which I appreciated, but I opted to stay with my dog in the room.

I ordered room service for dinner and breakfast. Both came on time and served hot.

The bed was VERY comfortable. The room was clean, and the bathroom was clean with a great shower and more than enough towels.

My only suggestion is that perhaps you could charge a cleaning deposit for dogs, and if no cleaning is necessary, perhaps it is refunded. I realize that not all dogs are as well behaved as my own, and I understand why an additional fee is necessary to cover cleaning costs. But, I don't think I should have to pay extra if no extra cleaning is needed. I paid an extra $50 for a 10-lb dog who did not soil the room.

Overall, I would without hesitation stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was here at the Hilton near Duke University for 2 weeks for a training. I loved it! The hotel staff is exceptional, and very friendly! I loved talking to them, and they jumped at the chance to help me. Eva the friendliest front desk person I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. Two weeks is a long time to stay somewhere, but the Hilton staff made my training trip feel like I was at home. Thanks!

Room Tip: The floors 4th and down are totally new and really nice!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
grosse pointe park mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My grand-kids booked this room for me because they said I needed a "classy" place to stay when I went to fetch my youngest "grand" from a week spent with Grandpa. Because I'm a worry-wart of the worst kind, I emailed the hotel before I ever left Michigan to make sure that the room had, indeed, been booked. I received a very nice return email, almost immediately, from the manager, assuring me that my room was booked and that all I had to do was provide a charge card for incidentals when I arrived.

From the moment I walked in, until the day I left, my family and I were treated like valued guests by everyone who worked there. In fact, as I left the manager, Mr. Skinner, made a point of seeking me out and shaking my hand, inquiring about our stay. I was so impressed!!

The room was lovely and the beds comfortable. My daughter, grandson and I all had meals from room service/restaurant in hotel and the food was delicious!!. The lobby and restaurant areas were beautiful, also.

I'm 65, and done my share of travelling, and I must say, this was one of the nicest places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Since I can't sleep due to loud a.c unit I thought I would check out reviews!! I can either let the unit run constantly and not sleep due to noise or turn unit off and strip naked because its unbearably hot without ac on!! I am a Hilton honor customer who uses properties all over with my job and am highly disappointmented in my stay here. Money wasted and I will never come here again! And yes I reported several times already to staff!

{LADONNA HUDSON from Illinois}

• Stayed August 2012
Ben L, General Manager at Hilton Durham near Duke University, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review.

I am truly sorry for the issues you experienced with your air conditioning and thank you for informing us of the problem during your departure. As you know we have completed some fantastic renovations that have been well received by our guests, includes new air conditioning units in guest rooms. The new system has been performing well, however, appears that the unit in your room did not. We accept responsibilty for this problem and would like to earn your trust again in the future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

(i'm not much of a connoisseur),
bad:
* food was good but sort of mostly greasy sandwiches $10-$15
* expensive $3 breakfast muffin, $3-$4 beers

something annoying is that right now they happen to have construction going on in their lobby

good:
* the area with a restaurant, bar, lounge is nice and open
* the outdoor pool was big enough to have a 5ft deep end
* the internet connection was no hassle, it was simple and fast enough
* liked the complimentary coffee machine in the room
* walking distance to several stores and a 'cook out' fast food shop

* they didn't charge me for leaving late
* girl in the mornings would give me a milk and fruit for a $1

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Durham near Duke University.

Please know that your comments are taken seriously as continually look for ways to improve our product and services. We have recently rolled out a new menu that provides more extensive options and lighter fare which you may find more appealing. I look forward to welcoming you back soon to try our new menu and would highly recommend the Spicy Pecan Salad and Grilled Carolina Grouper... Please let me know what you think.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Nice property located near Duke University. We stayed here after seeing the Durham Bulls baseball game.

5 story property. I requested 5th floor, but was given the fourth. We were also right around the corner from the elevator but surprisingly it was quiet enough. Limited TV channels.

We were denied a complimentary breakfast because my Hilton Honors card was downgraded...boo :(

Lots of food choices nearby, most notably Cracker Barrel. Lots of stores in the area as well.

I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on being a Trip Advisor Top Contributor and Thank You for your review.

The Durham Bulls are such a wonderful asset to our city and the Research Triangle Area. Also check out the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) for top quality entertainment and shows. The DPAC is the #2 performing arts center in the U.S.! Also, please note that we offer full breakfast for two adults and children under 5 years old for only $20. A great value even compared to our friends at Cracker Barrel!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ben Logan

Been to Hilton Durham near Duke University? Share your experiences!