“A Hidden Gem!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 67 Hotels in Durham
A TripAdvisor Member
“A Hidden Gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Several years ago I had the occasion to search the Internet for a motel in the Hillsborough Road section of Durham, NC. Mistakenly, I opted for the Days Inn, where I truly was almost too fearful to sleep, terrible and seemingly unsafe in the truest since of the word. Because of that experience, I was a little reticent to try my luck again, but this time I was much more fortunate. Though about a mile away from my Days Inn experience, the Quality Inn was years ahead in, well, quality! Their sanitation rating was 100, a great beginning! Parking was no problem and convenient to the rooms. I was on the second floor, and the elevator was clean and prompt. Breakfast was usual motel fare, pretty good for free, and a little better than some I've had. The bedroom and bathroom were clean, the bed comfortable, the towels soft (though not luxurious!).
I was able to enjoy reading and drinking coffee by the pool, which seemed well maintained, though there were no pool towels available that I could see. Overall, this is a great motel for the price with chocolate chip cookies when checking in to boot. When I am in the area again, this will surely be my motel of choice, a real gem! And by the way, you can actually walk to the Cracker Barrel restaurant next door! Another treat!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! It is such a pleasure to be able to offer our guests a great stay at a reasonable price. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Warren, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Checked in here while spending a weekend in Durham and was looking for something affordable. With our AAA discount we paid about 58 pre-tax, so we thought that was a steal for a hotel with a pool and breakfast. The rooms were clean and tidy, and looked nice with a new tv, fridge, and microwave, the beds were ok, the lobby is beautifully decorated and the breakfast had a variety of choices. So if your just looking for a basic clean room to stay the night its not too bad. On the downside... the pillows were half stuffed and wierdly lumpy, the bathroom was VERY small with no exhaust fan, the room felt damp all the time & had a musty smell, and almost anything hot for breakfast was rubbery like eggs, bacon, the waffles were really weird whether you sprayed the iron or not the batter looked strange and everything stuck the were rubbery too??? There were some cheap pastries and fruit and bagels that were edible though. We also ran out of hot water for showers... we even went to breakfast and came back and my husband was stuck with a cold shower and cold water to shave, he was not a happy camper. All in all we stayed 2 nights at what we would've paid for 1 at any hampton or holiday inn so you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: We should've requested a inside corridor room. The people in the room next to us were outside sm...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We will use your insight to make some changes and improve on our guest-experience. We hope you will visit us again soon!
Saluda, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

These rooms smell moldy and the bathrooms are so small you can not turn around in the and no way to get the stem out while taking a shower. I do not think this is a very good place to stay if you have lung problems like my mother has. She got sick from this room we stayed in. There were bugs and webs in this room as well. I said something to the mang. and she told me they had a roof leak and an AC problem in the past but she thought they had it fixed. You cannt prove that by me!

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you pay for it if you walk in lookin for a room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I am so sorry that you had problems with your room. As we discussed on the phone, we found the problem and fixed the condition of the room you were in. I am terribly sorry for your discomfort, but I do hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better stay.
NewYork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel when I visited North Carolina, and I had a comfortable stay as the rooms were cozy and quiet. The hot breakfast was pretty decent with waffles and scrambled eggs and free coffee. The outdoor pool was inviting and I relaxed on the sun deck. There was also a free shuttle to the Duke university. The customer service was pretty decent. The hotel has easy access to the surrounding restaurants and cocktail lounges. A good place to stay in the Durham area for either business or pleasure. I would certainly reserve a room on my next visit.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the positive encouragement! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a solid American motel. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the food is pretty tasty. The room we got was quiet spacious and the front desk clerk had a ready smile. The breakfast was complimentary and the fresh waffles were delicious. Another plus worth mentioning is that the place has free WiFi, and unlike many other motels, the WiFi actually works here. And the prices are pretty competent. All in all good place for a stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. Our team is always encouraged when we hear positive feedback. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
FORT WORTH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

They do a lot of business with the VA medical center. Rooms were clean and the hotel was quiet. Breakfast was borderline. The office staff were very accommodating and kind, but somewhat understaffed at 4PM.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you aren't very pleased on your recent stay with us. We are working on making the check in process much faster and smoother for everyone. We work hard to give everyone the best experience possible.

I am glad that you found your room to be clean and quiet. Thank you for leaving us feedback. We value it greatly to help us improve our services and accommodations. I do hope you give us another chance to give you a better impression.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was recently in Durham, visiting some relatives. Not wanting to spend much time in the room, I looked up budget options in the area. And I have to mention that I was very happy with this hotel. I think it’s recently been renovated as the eds-linen and carpeting felt as clean as new. The rooms have a nice TV and the loos are large. Their pool was really clean and I used it a couple times while I was there. They provided me with towels without me even asking. The staff is very polite and helpful. Since I was out most of the day the breakfast was important to me. And the breakfast spread here is really good. This hotel has definitely upgraded itself and deserves better rating on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. Hearing positive feedback from our guest's is always encouragement to our whole team. Thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Quality Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!