“Nice, clean, pet friendly.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #49 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Middlesex, VA
“Nice, clean, pet friendly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

The room was very clean and relatively updated in furnishings and fixtures. Grounds, pool and parking lot were very well maintained. Restaurants were conveniently located. There was a very nice continental breakfast available. The staff were very helpful and courteous. Would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
AmandaB_NC, Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us in 2011. We still offer pet friendly rooms! Come see us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Rooms stink terribly, toilet ran all day and night, front desk service was horrible, nothing stocked in vending machines or drink machines, and non-english speaking maid service will intrude 3-5 times per day. One walked in on my husband in a towel, forcing the door open while he was blocking it telling her to get out. She just keep saying, "housekeeping????" because it was the only english word she knew. Really ignorant and rude staff. Not one of them was professional. We complained the entire two days and not one of them offered compensation for all of the problems.

Room Tip: pay an extra $20.00 stay at a better hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
I am so very sorry that you did not have a good experience with us in 2011. We have renovated and made staff changes. I sincerely hope you give us another chance on your next visit to Durham.
Chicago area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This is a low cost hotel whose main selling points are convenient access to the interstate and to Duke's campus. There are also several chain restaurants, a grocery store, a couple drug stores, and gas stations nearby for convenience. The staff were friendly if not always entirely helpful. Our room was small but had everything we needed and then some - the mini fridge and microwave were nice amenities. Free wifi worked well and I did not have any connectivity issues during our entire 3-day stay. I noticed there is a pool, but it wasn't open yet when we were there. We asked for a room on the third floor to minimize noise from the parking lot and the nearby expressway and train tracks and it worked out well - we slept soundly every night. Free breakfast in the morning was pretty good, with a variety of hot and cold items.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad you had a great visit with us in 2011 and I hope to see you in 2014!
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Though I made a reservation a week prior, the room I reserved was not available when I arrived. The clerk gave some excuse about the maintenance man didn't unlock the adjoining room to my reserved king suite. I was offered an acceptable alternative, but the fact is, it was not what I reserved. After a long drive I expected to relax in a king suite. Though I was given a room with two queen beds which was ok, I still had to return to the front desk twice because of a key problem. The stairs to the upper floors were sticky with liquid from the maids dragging last night's trash down the stairs. The carpet was stained and the halls were noisy. The wireless internet was not available during my stay. The breakfast was ok, but no fruit was offered. Other than the front desk clerk, the staff was helpful and friendly. I'd double check my reservation before staying here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
We have made many changes since your visit in 2011. I am sorry that you had a negative experience with us, but I do hope you give us another chance and rebook with us on your next trip to Durham.
Sandersville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

We had stayed at Quality Inn several times for appointments at Duke and were very pleased. On our last visit in Nov, I asked for a late check out due to appts and verbally told it was OK, so was shocked when we were charged for a second night. I have called on three occassions to discuss this, but the general manager will not return my calls. I did not get a written OK for a late check out,so you may want to do this if you need to check out late. I heard many people asking for a late check out, but never saw them giving any written confirmation. I will not stay there again

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry you had a negative experience with us. We have made many changes and I hope that you will give us another chance to give you a better impression.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

We arrived at this hotel off of I-85 next to the Hilton on Hillsborough Road at around 10 or 11 at night. It was a little tired looking but clean. Our room was clean and well put together. Breakfast, which is included in the price of the room, consisted of eggs, sausage, instant grits, cereal, waffles, fruit and more. Other than the over twenty bites my husband and I have between us it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
We have newly renovated our hotel. We have brand new beds, carpet, and have added a luxurious vanity area to our bathrooms. I do hope you stop in should you visit Durham again!
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Visited for two nights for a residency interview at Duke. Desk staff unfriendly and unhelpful. Check into my nonsmoking room and it reeked of smoke. Complained and they refused to help as 'that's the way the hotel smells.' The cigarette smell was so strong it became apart of my clothes including my suite to interview in.

Cable and free wifi went in and out despite calm weather outside.

Do not rely on the free shuttle service to hospital as the displayed times change without notice and the desk staff does a poor job in relaying messages to the driver for pickups at Duke.

Only up side of this hotel is the price but for all the problems I wish I would have paid $20 more and stayed somewhere else.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Abraham112008, Manager at Quality Inn and Suites, responded to this review, December 31, 2010
Dear Chite85,

I'm concerned about the various problems you recently experienced at the hotel,
and I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel
is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently,
it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests, and I want you to know that the concerns of our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

However, in order for me to resolve the issues you raise, I need additional information. Please contact me by e-mail or telephone with the name on the reservation, arrival date of your reservation, a confirmation number (if you can provide one) and any other facts you consider pertinent.

Once again, please accept my apology for any inconvenience. I look forward to discussing this matter with you upon receipt of the information I've requested.

Simran Ahluwalia
Ph: 919-382-3388
E-mail: simran@duke85.com

Been to Quality Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!