“Finest staff imaginable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Durham
des moines
“Finest staff imaginable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

We were shocked at how helpful the staff was here. Requested a rollaway at the desk and it made it up to the room before we did! Directions, shuttle driver, info, help printing boarding passes, concierge, bartender...it never ended. The front desk people could not be stumped and if they could of, there was someone right there to back up. We were there to see ballgames but found much more thanks to staff. Oh yeah, forgot about the friendly, quick room service.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Little Rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

I've never had a bad trip to this Marriott. The staff is always on top of check in and the room is clean, enjoyable and well-decorated. Bathroom is nicely appointed. Parking across the street is fine -- just a short walk across a road which is never that busy. Restaurant and bar are good and common areas excellent. It's a super venue for Full Frame Documentary Film Festival -- just go from theatre to theatre. Everything is convenient. Nice outdoor area.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

The highs: The room (8th floor) was very nice, looked to be newly remodeled. The location is very convenient to Duke University and downtown Durham.

The lows: The parking situation is pathetic. On the night we stayed, we were told to park in the hotel's parking lot which is across the street and down an alley behind some buildings. It is not fenced or secured, and the night we were there, wasn't even illuminated with street lamps. Since we drive a soft-top convertible, we did not park there. The service desk advised that valet would park the car in the same lot. So, we parked at the much safer-looking and better illuminated Civic Center parking lot a block away.

The concierge lounge was poorly stocked. Didn't even have bottled water.

The room came with two towels. That's it, so plan on ordering more or drying off with a wet towel once it has been used.

The night we stayed was graduation weekend (Duke) and prom night for the local high schools. In spite of these planned events, the Marriott was inadequately staffed to handle the needs of the customers. The security guard had to pitch in for valet parking cars. There was one front desk person and one restaurant employee providing commentary at the desk. Overall, it was a cluster.

A shame - overall it's a nice hotel (physically). Just needs an investment in fencing/security around the parking lot and an investment in more personnel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Southeast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed at this hotel during a recent business trip to Durham. The parking mentioned in other reviews is not that bad. It's very close.

The staff was very nice and helpful.

Most hotels have HD TVs now, but this place actually had crystal clear HD channels to go along with it..... even HDNet!! This is, without questions, the best TV picture quality of any hotel I have stayed in.

The food served in the consigiere lounge was awesome. Far better than I've had at other Marriotts. Make sure you check to see what movies are playing on the Carolina Cinema's two screens, which are attached to the side of the convention center. I saw a current movie in one of the small auditoriums during a weekday evening. There were only two other people in the theater - it was great!

Almost forgot - the internet service is free at this full service Marriott!! All others carge around $10 per day for this.

Overall, one of the nicest hotels I have visited and will definitely stay there again if my travels take me to Durham.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

We stayed here on a trip to visit family in Durham. The room was okay and the crib was passable. The problem was that they did not have the type of room we reserved. So, at check-in they informed us of this and upgraded us at no extra charge to the top floor. Those who stay on the top floor have a few extra amenities such as a breakfast room. I called downstairs to confirm that this was the case and was told that yes we could proceed to the lounge and have breakfast. Then I received a return call informing me that they were mistaken and that we were not eligible for the extra amenities associated with staying on the top floor because we had not originally booked this room. I pointed out that I had just called and was told otherwise. Then, the hotel employee conceded that we should have what we were promised during the first call. I said it was fine either way but I didn't appreciate being misinformed when I called specifically to clarify a simple question. I then received a second call from a new hotel employee who lectured me on why we were not eligible for the breakfast room. It seemed that this person called only to emphasize that they were in the right, which was obnoxious. She also informed me that the room we were staying in was normally "very expensive" which was quite insulting, partly because a) it was not and b) we had not asked to be assigned to this room. We will not stay here again given the way the staff handled such a petty issue.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New Bern, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

I chose this hotel only for its proximity to the Durham Performing Arts Center, but was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the property and service. The first thing I asked for was directions to the Peforming Arts Center. The desk clerk gave me a map and showed the directions, but added that the hotel has a courtesy shuttle both before and after the show and just to come down to the lobby 10 minutes before I wanted to go. I had to be at the Performing Arts Center at 6:15 so came down at 5:45 The courtesy van was already on another run and I was told that he would be back in ten minutes. I waited and thought about walking because it was close. A desk clerk who had just gotten off work came up to me and said he would run me over in his car. WOW...I would have walked and not felt anything negative about the hotel, but this unexpectedly outragous service that was offered was definitely impressive. Before I got out of his car, he made sure I had the hotel phone number programmed on my cell so I could call for a pick up after the show. But it was a nice night and chose to walk home. Yes, I said "home", because the staff at this hotel made me feel like I was at home.

The room was beautifully appointed with more amenities than one usually finds in hotels. They have great Hi Def TVs with many cable channels. The public areas and room were spotlessly clean and well maintained.

I would also point out that the parking some others have complained about is only a short walk (1/2 a block) away, well marked, and easy to access. I only had one small bag and a guitar so I parked and carried them to the hotel. However, the hotel also has luggage carts and bell services for those with larger quantities of lugguage.

All in all, I would say the parking is great compared to other cities the same size as Durham.
If I return to Durham again, I will not hesitate to return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Lynchburg, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

Staff looked as if they didn't know what they were doing during check in, which took much longer than it needed to. They seemed thrown by the fact that a friend booked the reservation (as part of a wedding group). The parking lot 2 lots away across the street was inconvenient, and the bellman (who was extremely nice and helpful) gave better directions to it than the front desk staff. The hotel has no airport shuttle. The room was decent, with nice bedding and a new LCD television. I had to call the front desk three times before anyone answered to give me the checkout time. The room was comfortable, bathroom was decent enough, and the view was ok. However, the day after leaving I found my credit card had been charged for $570, for a one night stay with no additional charges, which was supposed to be $100 according to the video checkout folio. When I called to clarify, I spent 30 minutes on hold, first with one woman who could not find the charges, came back after 15 min. to tell me she had to check with the front desk, then came on to say they could not find anything and she would put me through to someone in accounting. The accounting person also could find nothing relevant, and said she would have to talk to the staff who worked that weekend, and took my number and said they would call me back. I never heard back from them, though the person who made the reservation got a call back after she herself called to inquire about the charge. Ulitmately they corrected the charge. Overall a nice enough hotel badly in need of better customer service.

Stayed November 2008

Been to Durham Marriott City Center? Share your experiences!