“Wedding weekend.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Wedding weekend.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding in Durham. From the moment we arrived the staff was attentive and courteous. Great location with many restaurants and activities within walking distance. The rooms were comfortable and quiet. The valet staff was awesome, even making recommendations for golf for my husband and friends and informative on drive times for our sightseeing adventures.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear guest,
We are excited to hear that you had wonderful wedding weekend with us. Our staff will also love to hear about your compliments on our service. Thank you again and see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Goldsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed at the Marriott City Center in Durham, NC overnight June 13th because we were attending the American Idol concert at DPAC and did not want to drive 100 miles home afterwards. DPAC is only about a 3 block walk from the Marriott so we did not have to drive OR take a taxi. That was a wonderful Perk.
From Check in to Check out, this hotel was wonderful. The staff from the Valet that parked our car to the check in people to the housekeepers to the host and wait staff and cooks in the restaurant were above the top. Every one went out of their way to help us. For example, I had cut my hand when we went out to eat and it was bleeding and I could not seem to get the bleeding stopped. Of course, we had no bandaids. The wonderful lady behind the counter found me some supplies in their first aid kit that I was able to use. They did not have to do that.
Also, I am on a very specific special diet and the restaurant bent over backwards to accommodate my needs.
Everyone was friendly and helpful.
The room was very nice. The hotel is older, but it does not matter. The furnishings were updated. The room was very clean. The bed was very very comfortable. Nice Flat screen TV with plenty of stations. You can even rent movies from off the TV. The water pressure was great.
So many places to eat within walking distance of the Marriott. The Tobacco Warehouse is within walking distance and is right across the street from DPAC. We ate at Tyler's and enjoyed the Grilled Chicken Salad and Salmon salad respectively. They have a large variety of Beer on Tap.
Was so nice not to have to worry about driving home after the show.
We will definitely visit the Marriott again when we are visiting Durham again.

Room Tip: As for a corner room on an upper floor. The view is spectacular of the city
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear guest,
We are excited to see your FIVE STARS compliments on our staff starting from our Valet/Bell Service Attendant to Front Desk, housekeepers, host, wait staff, and cook. We are also very happy to hear that you really enjoyed our hotel and surrounding areas. Please come back to see us, we will definitely again serve you at our best. Thank you so much!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Staff were polite, greeted us every possible opportunity, and constantly asked if they could do anything to make our stay better and more comfortable. We had a great time. The fitness center was clean, and among the better I've seen in large hotel chains.

Stayed July 2014
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear guest,
Congratulations on your wedding and we are glad to hear that you had a great time. Our staff will love to hear your compliments and thank you again for staying with us!
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Downtown Durham and Duke campus are fun places to explore for a weekend getaway & this hotel is right in the center of it. Hotel bed very comfortable & nice bathroom - big TV with HBO although WiFi appears to cost $10/day - gave up trying to get around that charge Within walking distance to Durham Bulls Stadium, Saturday Farmer's Market, plenty of great restaurants, and helpful Visitor's Center. Also Amtrak/Megabus/Greyhound stations a couple of blocks away plus free City Connector Bus running up/down Main St. & into Duke campus makes having a car not necessary. Suggest renting movie Bull Durham to get you psyched for your visit. (And definitely stop at the ice cream parlor right outside the hotel for homemade heaven.)

Room Tip: get a top floor on Durham Bull Stadium side
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and effort to leave us great review with details. And “Yes” we have lots of things for you do here in Durham. In addition to what you already mentioned, we have Durham Performing Arts Center, North Carolina Theatre, Arts Council, many delicious eateries and much more. Please come back and enjoy us again!
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in June. Staff throughout was very nice. Fitness center was adequate and served my needs. Both attendants in the Concierge Lounge were exceptionally friendly - I enjoyed speaking with them both!

Overall - very good hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Mr. Fuquay,
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. I will speak with our staff about your nice comments and share your special recognition with our Concierge team. Thank you again and see you soon!
Normal, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

The hotel was fine, the room was comfortable and the staff friendly. However, when I left I needed a cab to the airport. Someone at the desk called for me. When I arrived at the airport the cost was $45! The cab to the hotel was only $32.10. I called the Marriot and the person speaking for management just laughed and said it was a deal that they had with Airport Taxi Service. Really? Instead of leaving your customers feeling cheated why not raise the room rate $2 a night? It's a petty way to get a few extra bucks and left me not wanting to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of the taxi service. I was very disturbed to hear about your comment on our staff and will personally follow up because we do not work with any transportation companies. We only provide services to call transportation companies when our guests need. Could you please call me directly at 919-768-6011 so I can further assist you on this? Thank you so much again.
Huntington, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I thought I enjoyed my stay here, until I realized I left my MAC Laptop in the room when I checked out. I called the hotel to ask them if they found it. I know for sure it was in the room. They did look, but simply said they trust their staff and I could file a police report. Someone obviously took it!

• Stayed May 2014
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you enjoyed your experience until one unfortunate incident toward the end. As stated during our conversation, we checked your room and found nothing left behind. We have very strict lost and found procedures which were followed and have the utmost faith in the honesty of our staff. We have an excellent track record of returning lost items to our guests. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will consider staying with us again next time your travels bring you to Durham.

Been to Durham Marriott City Center? Share your experiences!