“Great hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 67 hotels in Durham
Oxford, Mississippi
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Clean and well kept. Rooms were immaculate. Convienently located in downtown Durham. Walking distance to lots of things including Durham bulls and the farmers market. Staff was very helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel in this great city Durham where you can do many good different things. Please come back to see us. We will again best accommodate you!

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Boise
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Nope, not a typical Marriott experience for me, and I stay in a lot of them. The hotel has the "look" and features, but the service was lacking in a few areas:

1. We arrived just before 10:00 PM after a long day of flying. Very hungry. We asked the lead wait staff, "Nope, no food, the kitchen is closed." It was 9:55 PM. Asked the concierge where to get food, he said, "Oh, in our restaurant or bar." But after checking with the wait staff and giving each other the "eye," we were referred to restaurants three blocks away.

2. Woke up in morning, oops, no shampoo. Normally I carry extra, but forgot. It took over 30 minutes for shampoo to arrive, I was then late for meeting, no hair washing for me today.

3. Second night, got into bed, starting watching movies. After an hour or so, my leg started itching. Got out of bed and had 6 bites on one leg, and two on the other. They were fresh. I never did see what caused it, but there was sand in my bed on one side?? I jumped in the other bed, and hoping I survive the night without more bites. No problems with bugs my first night here.

Overall, it looks nice, front desk was friendly and helpful, other staff seemed either overworked, tired, or maybe just lazy, not sure. Wireless was free and worked fine from my room on 6th floor, greatly appreciated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced because of some of areas we could have done lot better job for you. Your comments were very sincere and helpful for me to use as tool to train our staff for improvement. Please give us another chance to show you Durham Marriott at its best when your travel brings you back here. Thank you again.
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights, over-all had a good sleep and breakfast buffet was teasonable. Basic business hotel, but I saw week-enders and wedding events, so must be a popular place. Location is central and walkable to most restaurants and offices. Free shuttle to selected routes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. Our hotel is located in this great city of Durham where you can do many exciting things. Going to Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham Bulls Baseball, and tasting great food in many popular local restaurants…. Please come back to see us. We will again best accommodate you!
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed four nights at the Marriott City Center in Durham. We chose it because of the convenient location - we were attending a wedding just a few blocks away. So, we had no particular expectations, other than location.

We were pleasantly surprised by several things about the hotel. It's a basic Marriott: older rooms, but still nice and clean and quiet, comfortable bed, slower elevators, etc. The staff was friendly and helpful, the restaurant was nice for breakfast, the wifi was free and worked great. There was a mini-fridge in the room, which we used. The bathroom was small, but the shower was excellent - plenty of hot water and good pressure.

We used the new fitness facility on site (just off the lobby) - it's great! A few treadmills and elliptical machines, plus free weights. Not big, but nice. You can also use the YMCA across the street for free.

Finally, the Marriott offered free parking in a lot across the street - very nice.

All in all, we had a very nice stay, and I would recommend this place to folks visiting Durham.

Room Tip: Nice views from the upper floors. Elevator is pretty slow.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and for giving us great comments that our staff will love to hear. We will continue to do our best to serve all your needs. See you soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed for one night at the Durham Marriott City Center. When I arrived, cars were blocking the drive, so I had to wait a few minutes before I could park and run in to register. When I reached the front desk, I was pleasantly greeted by the front desk staff and given my room and keys. I moved my car to the specified hotel parking lot (it's across the street and small). The front desk clerk did let me know that if I couldn't find a space to use another parking lot associated with the hotel. Crossing the street to get back to the hotel, drivers were courtesy enough to stop when you are in the crosswalk, but be careful. Also, the walk across to the parking lot is not well-lit at night. When I got to my room (309), the door was hard to open after you inserted the key card. I don't know why it was so hard to open, but after a while, it got easier to open. The room itself was spacious and very nice and comfortable. I was surprised to see a mini-refrigerator there. The beds were comfortable and the flat TV was nice. I was attending a meeting in the Convention center portion. The meeting rooms were nice and the food that was served during the luncheon was good. The business center was very nice and there was no charge to use it. There are only 2 computers and printers though. We got out of our meeting late and went to look for food, but the bar was no longer serving food or drinks. We left the hotel in search of food and were able to find a McDonald's across from the hotel parking lot. The hotel was accommodating my request for a late check out even though they had overbooked for the weekend. The front desk staff that checked me out was very friendly and pleasant. I know I will be back to stay here in the next few months and will be glad to do so.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor close to the elevator. I did not hear a lot of noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel in this great city Durham where you can do many good different things. Please come back to see us. We will again best accommodate you!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

No pool, you could use the ymca's??? Internet was not strong enough to be used in the room. Lobby was overdecorated and oppressive. Desk staff was bored but still put out when guests asked for assistance. Not what Marriott can be, too expensive for quality. Better choices in area.

• Stayed August 2012
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of our overall services and amenities. Our goal hear at the Durham Marriot is to make sure our guest leaves satisfied and comes back to see us. But we are very sorry to hear that you were not happy. We will work harder to accommodate your needs in the future. Thank you again for being our loyal guest.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is an average to below average typical Marriott property. The rooms are adequate, but like other reviewers reported, the room had a stale chemical odor. What sets this property apart is the complete lack of integrity to the reservation process. The room I booked (at a higher price) was "over booked" so I was given an inferior room and had to go to the manager to have the price reduced to the normal price for that room. The hotel would have happily charged the higher rate for the inferior room. When I asked whether the hotel had a policy of not honoring it's reservations, nothing but blank stares. So, if honoring a your contract or keeping one's word means something to you - don't stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of the reservation process. Please give us another chance to experience our hotel by contacting us directly at 919-768-6011 if your travel brings you here again so we can take care of you with our best.

Been to Durham Marriott City Center? Share your experiences!