“Friendly satff and spacious rooms, but loud a/c can be a problem” 4 of 5 stars

eCheck-In Reward Points
Ranked #14 of 69 Hotels in Durham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ojai, California
“Friendly satff and spacious rooms, but loud a/c can be a problem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here twice in the past couple of weeks and enjoyed an overall good experience with the exception of one night in room 701. This top floor room is located either directly underneath or very close to one of the hotel's rooftop a/c or climate controller (I'm not certain what it's called, actually). Anyway, the contraption's innards are triggered every 30 or so minutes, starting a symphony of thumps, whooshes and thuds (I know, sounds like Batman and Robin are running the show). So if its a good night's sleep you're looking for do not allow the front desk to assign you room 701. On the other hand, on my second visit I stayed in room 709, which besides being blissfully quiet during the wee hours, had a functioning window in the bedroom. I've gotta give props to the hotel's barkeep, Kevin, who knows his brews and keeps plenty of glasses frozen and at the ready. As for this DoubleTree Suite's breakfast, I think they're doing a pretty fair job....maybe someone can figure out a way to move a toaster out to the place where they position the (*?#!$*) waffle thingamabob.

Room Tip: Room 701 has such big problem with noise that I'd avoid room 703 as well..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Requested room with lake view when reserving, Upon check in and going to our room, no view. However, we received a room with a lake view within minutes. Only problem, MOLD in bathroom and part of bedroom. Otherwise, great staff and close to everything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Aston UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stay here regularly on business and its comfortable and clean and nicely based on a small lake. Reception staff are great and the shuttle service is superb and the staff driving the shuttle cannt do enough for you, makes it a very memorable experience. Food is OK and restaurant staff are not as friendly as rest and beware of them bringing appetizer and entree together, something that really annoys me!

Room Tip: ask for lake view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had stayed here during the last week of Jan 2013. I must say that my experience was very good. The rooms are spacious and well maintained, the staff very friendly and courteous. They provide a complimentary shuttle service to places within a 5 mile radius that includes the Durham airport as well. A specific mention of the chauffeurs for the shuttle - all are terrific people! Very helpful and always cheerful.
The complimentary breakfast was quite good - a welcome change for me from the routine.
And I cannot forget to mention the promptness of the hotel management - the morning after I checked in, there was a problem with the hot water system. When I called up the reception, they gave me a correct information on the status and the time by when it would be fixed. And they were spot on!! Even bigger surprise was during check-out. I noticed a credit of 50% of the room rent on my day2 and asked what it was. I was told that since I faced some inconvenience during my stay, they had reversed 50% of the charges for that day! Frankly, I was left speechless.
Now, that is professionalism and customer service!!

Room Tip: None. It is a great place to stay...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Carol C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for the positive feedback. I will share you comments with the Doubletree team and recognize them for a job well done. I look forward to next stay!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel is fairly close to everything, but there is not much within walking distance. The staff is attentive and friendly, and the rooms are spacious and clean. We have stayed at this same hotel on trips to Chapel Hill, NC, which is only about 15-20 minutes away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for a great review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Martinsville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Great value for the Buck. I really liked the lights and the tables and i didnt like the smoothie from room service it tasted like chuck of fruit and i almost choked. the sofa bed was an interesting sleep very uncomfortable and lumpy. while the room had tissues i was sick during our stay and i was very lucky that i remembered to bring my own lotion tissues because the ones they had were terrible. In all i enjoyed our stay and had a wonderful time just with minor issues.

Room Tip: Talk to front desk staff upon check in and they always make sure I get exactly what you need to make...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Woodbridge, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I booked this room online and had minimal interaction with the staff. So I cannot say much about the quality of the staff. However, once I arrived I checked in very easily and went right up to my room. To my surprise, the room was huge. It had a living area with a mini kitchen area that had a microwave, coffee maker, and a sink. The couch and TV were on the other side of the room. The bed was in a separate room along with a wall mounted table which I used to store my duffle bag and another TV. The bathroom was quite large as well. The room was clean and quiet, and the bed was comfortable. I would love to stay here again and would recommend it to my friends/family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Carol C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you know all of our rooms are suites which allows our guests plenty of room while they are away from home. We hope you will stay with us again!

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham? Share your experiences!