“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Another amazing night at Meelos! Salmon was cooked to perfection! Later, the family and I ate dessert, Chocalote cake was fabulas as was the Tiramasu. I recommened this quaint resturant!

Rockville, MD
“hard to find but worth the search”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had dinner at Meelo on the evening we arrived in Durham after a long drive from Maryland, and it was a great way to start our visit to the area. After checking into the hotel, we used Mapquest to drive to Meelo, but almost gave up when all we could find was a mostly deserted strip mall that was under construction (or maybe destruction). There is a Kerr's Drugs in front of the mall. We decided to drive around the side and there was the restaurant, along with a Chinese takeout and a couple of other businesses. We had our doubts about going in, but we're glad we did because it turned out to be one of the best meals we've had!
The menu includes both traditional Italian food and tapas from various parts of the world, nd we decided to order from both parts of the menu. My husband had sausage and peppers with penne pasta and said it was perfect. I had baby lamp chops in balsamic au jus, and they were perfectly done (I asked for medium rare) and delicious in the slightly sweet "au jus." We also had octopus (in marinara?) that was tender and tasty. For dessert we shared a fantastic chocolate hazelnut mousse cake--another reviewer said it was "to die for" and I agree.
The service was friendly and attentive, and they seem eager to make diners happy. At the start of the evening when we were asked what we would like to drink, I asked (knowing it was unlikely) if they had sangria. The waitress said no, so I said just water would be fine. A few minutes later she returned to say that she had asked about this and they could make a carafe of sangria, if I could drink that much. My husband agreed to share with me, so we got that. Even though it was not the best sangria I've ever had, it was good enough and I appreciated the effort.
We highly recommend searching for this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Maybe in need of a change of venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Slightly hard to find on the side of a strip mall that seems to be on its last legs. The restaurant is small, and a modest crowd fills it up. The menu is likewise small, but everything our party of four got was good and in portions large enough to justify the price, on the high side of moderate. The tomato sauce on my spaghetti was somewhat sweeter than I like, but it was OK. Others in our party had nothing but praise for varied pasta and seafood dishes. Service was decent. A functionary performed on the harmonica--twice for a table near us: once for Happy Father's Day and once for Happy Birthday--more "jolly good fellow" etc. than I need but nobody else seemed to mind. (Another minor annoyance: men's room sign saying "WE AIM TO PLEASE; YOU AIM TOO, PLEASE.") Desserts not quite as special as the main courses and maybe not worth the price either. Many locations in this mall are empty, and it may be time for Meelo to move. That may be difficult, for some of the Italianate murals look permanent.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Georgia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I too was skeptical of a restaurant in a strip shopping center, but boy was this place a score for my entire family. My boys (10 and 13) loved the food and one is a picky eater. I loved the greek salad and chicken parm, but the chocolate mousse cake was to die for. What really sets this place apart is the outstanding service. The chef came out of the kitchen to chat with us when he heard we had just visited Rome (where he used to live). The wait staff were all so personable and friendly and really made us feel at home. They work as a team and everyone was super attentive. Charming atmosphere with the walls painted to make you feel like you are really in Italy.

Morehead City, North Carolina
“Been there Twice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We were given the recommendation to dine here by our hotel we were staying at in Durham. We decided to go and are so glad that we did. I had the potato and parm soup and it was delicious, paired with some wine and then my husband and I split the tortellini and their beef and mushroom dinner special and were so happy. We ended the night with coffe and baileys and each ordered a desert, also delicious. We had to come back a week later for my sons check-up, and we decided to dine here again. It was delicious again, plus the staff remembered us and treated us like family. It was so welcoming and accommodating.

• Visited May 2012