“As good a taqueria as any.” 5 of 5 stars

919-220-1614
Improve this listing
Ranked #193 of 675 Restaurants in Durham
Durham, NC
“As good a taqueria as any.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great authentic tacos with complete fixins bar. By authentic taco I mean two small soft corn tortillas with a scoop of meat-based filling. You pick the filling from one of many on the menu (all in spanish - but they will tell you what they are if you ask), then take it to the bar to add lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers, salsa, onions, etc. The chicken (pollo) is a bit bland, but everything else that i've tried has been excellent (barbacoa and carnitas are mi favorito). With two shells per taco and a decent amount of meat, I usually split my two tacos to make four tacos and fill the rest of the space with healthy, tasty veggies from the bar. An order of two tacos will fill me for lunch, and I can eat. Tacos are around $2 depending on the type. Splitting them makes for $1 tacos. Waaaaaay better than the bell.
They also have all sorts of other stuff that I have not tried but probably also is awesome. I don't think you will find texmex cheese smothered typical mexican restuarant food here, or the ubiquitous bottomless pit of chips and salsa. It's totally different and definitely worth trying. I'm white and don't speak spanish, which probably makes it more entertaining than it really is. The neighborhood is not as bad as you might think. Don't worry about it; it's as safe as the McDs across the street and is just as, if not, cleaner. I don't remember what the toilets are like. i'm not sure I've ever even been to them. I eat here all the time. Anyone I've ever taken with me has loved it. Enjoy.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Old Hickory, Tennessee
“Authentic Mexican food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a small, unimpressive little place with the menu in Spanish, but it has very tasty food with items we haven't had since our trip to Guadalajara, Mexico. The tacos al pastor were great, as was my huarache and the horchata.

Visited March 2013
The Tarheel State
“Delicious Discovery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

After reading other reviews, we decided to eat here during our Durham weekend trip. We weren't disappointed with our decision. We ordered mole, carne asada tacos, a cheese quesadilla, chicken tacos, (a burrito to go) and horchata. I haven't had shredded chicken tacos in a long time. Many mexican places I've been to dice the chicken. Eating the chicken shredded like I did growing up seemed more authentic to me. Everything was great overall. The horchata wasn't the best I've had but we overlooked this since everything else was so good. Also, we couldn't have been more pleased with the customer service. There was a niiiiice older woman who served us. Wish we lived closer to this great taqueria :(

Visited January 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Fun & Authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We ordered 3 tacos (barbacoa, pastor, and asada). The BBQ was my least favorite but the others were good. The salsa bar is pretty incredible. Not only does it have salsas but also slaw and pickled veggies- even cactus. We also had a papusa with chicharon. It was a little greasy but quite tasty. The jamaica (hibiscus) juice was a little tart but the guyabana agua fresca was amazing. The huarcahe was the weakest part of the meal. It was a little bland and not very exciting. I live in Raleigh and I prefer La Fonda y Birrieria Jalisco but if I was in Durham I would definitely stop by here for a fun authentic meal.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
pompano beach, fl
“The Real Deal:Delicious, home-made, authentic, and cheap”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Los Comales is located on Roxboro Rd, a strip replete with working-class Mexican joints, catering to a mostly-Mexican crowd. A bit of basic Spanish will help you to choose, though it is not necessary.

I go there for lunch a couple times per week, and order the tres taco special, plus a pupusa. Taco fillings include barabacoa (a barbequed/braised beef) al pastor (marinated roast pork), spicy chorizo sausage, and chicharonnes (crispy/fatty pig skin) They also do goat (chivo) and tongue (lengua). Plus there are always specials to be had.
Pupusas are two crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside corm meal disks, sandwiching melted cheese and/or spiced pork. The tacos, too, are served on corn tortillas (as they are meant to be) and the lightly charred bits set off the sweetness of the corn.

There is a large condiments table with pico de gallo, green tomatillo sauce (the best) and a hot sauce (delicious), also fresh limes, cut radishes, sliced onions, as well as pickled vegetables: jalapenos, onion, and carrots. Mounds of fresh cilantro seal the deal.

You can get fresh juices like tamarind, or a selection of Mexican and American sodaa. I just realized that they also feature horchata, the delicious almond drink...I will try it next time.

Price: l paid around 10.00 for a VERY filling and delicious lunch. The place won't win any awards for decor, but it is humming with happy people tucking eagerly into their freshly made food. If you want to move up from Qdoba or (God Forbid) Taco Hell, you owe yourself a meal at this great place,

• Visited October 2011