“Amazing people” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Boone, North Carolina
“Amazing people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My mother stayed at this hotel every time she had to take my dad to duke hospital. I have to say its amazing and super nice inside. I have to tell you how much the staff helped me out a while back but not to long ago my mom had to spend her birthday in the hotel while my dad was being treated the hotel went out of there way for me to go to the store get my mother a birthday cake and deliver it to her room with the dinner i told them to order on me that night plus they brought up a bottle of cider for them. Wonder staff

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here for the birth of our first grandchild, I planned to stay for 3 weeks. The staff was very welcoming, the checkin staff extremely accommodating for a room size to fit my other kids when they came. Rollaway beds were easily provided for no extra fee. Free wifi, worked great. Complementary breakfast was huge, hot foods full breakfast served daily. The staff sent flowers balloons and a wristlets for the new mother,not my room. This is the place to stay in Durham! There is a huge amount of shopping in this plaza, along with drug store gas station restaurants. Close to airport, like 12 minute drive. Best of all was the staff from head housekeeper who personally congratulated me on becoming a grandmother, to the guy who delivered the beds. Front desk excellent.

Room Tip: Top floor away from ice machine , only because that is always my preference.
Roanoke VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This has been our go-to hotel in our many visits to the Triangle ever since it opened. In our experience, it is a cut above most HGI properties -- newer, brighter, and even the elevators are extra tall inside so you never feel cramped. The adjoining Ruth's Chris is a big plus -- we go to the lounge area a lot for bar food and drinks (Big Manhattans for $6.50!). At least one previous reviewer is correct in noting that halls are not air conditioned, but that never bothered me. The only two downsides I can come up with are the satellite TV -- the local channels are supposed to be High Def but few seem to be -- and that most vexing of all HGI issues everywhere, inconsistency of breakfast service. If Ruth is on duty, breakfast service is extremely efficient. She is one of the best breakfast hosts we have encountered anywhere. If she is not on duty, others are friendly enough but seem to have difficulty keeping tables set up for the next diners. Highly recommended, and yes, if you want to visit Southpoint, the location couldn't be better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kettering, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

For the first time, my husband and I arrived in an area (Chapel Hill/Durham) without a reservation, assuming that we would have no problems. WRONG!!! We were turned away from four hotels before we finally found the Hilton Garden Inn. Were we lucky! The staff was very friendly and efficient -- one front desk clerk recommended an incredible (well priced!) restaurant. We had a beautiful 2 room suite (at a very reasonable price) with 2 tv's and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in away from home! And, there were enough plugs to charge our electronics! Only downside (of the chain, I guess) is that breakfast isn't included in the rate! I highly recommend this place!!

Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

First of all, the location of this hotel is great! There is a Ruth Chris steakhouse on property and a ton of other restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. (Chilis, Buffalo Wild Wings, Teds Montana Grill, Cheesecake Factory, Firebirds, Champps and many more). Check-in was fast and efficient, but that's kind of where it ends with this place for me. The hallways must not even be air conditioned as you step off the elevator into a steam bath. Sure it's summer, but the A/C works in my room, why not in the hallways? The linens on the bed are very thin and cheap, not standard for a HGI property. The internet is REALLY SLOW as I type in this review. I've tried both wireless and wired and both are equally slow. The carpet in my room definitely needs a good shampooing and I wouldn't think of letting my bare feet touch the carpet.

There are too many other properties in the area that are better, but the thing that this location has going for it, is just that, location. Right across the street from the Southpoint Mall and tons of restaurants and shopping. Would I come back? Probably not, but it was OK for one night.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I use this hotel frequently for my Business Associates who come to town. It has a very good business center, fitness area, and even in-room fitness is available.

There is a large Mall across the street with a Theater, so in case your guests want to do something on their own. There are a great # of restaurants over at the Mall as well, or even next door to the hotel is a Chili's, Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, Moe's Mexican Restaurant, and a Ted's Montana Grill. All within walking distance, or the Hotel Shuttle will take you.

There is also on-site restaurant and small bar, or just walk next door to Ruth Chris'.

The rates are usually reasonable, and the staff is always very prompt, and courteous.

I highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn at Southpoint Durham was a okay hotel. It is located across the street from Durham Southpoint Mall. I was celebrating my sister's birthday in Durham and the hotel is within walking distance to her apartment. The room was decent except for a cigarette burn mark on the bathroom sink. I also thought the bed was a little bit on the soft side even though I don't like a firm bed. Even though the hotel is fairly new it already seemed a little worn and the hallway smelled like cheap air freshener.
I didn't eat at the hotel but I wanted to check out the indoor pool that was closed for repairs upon our arrival. It opened later and the water seemed a little cold. Also the jets on the whirlpool didn't work. The only bar and restaurant open past 10pm was Wild Wings Cafe. If you like lots of generic chain restaurants with out much character well this is place for you.
I will say the staff and nice and accommodating and this hotel is really convenient to Raleigh. It may be quicker to get to Raleigh than downtown Durham.

Pros-

Not a lot of things to do after 10pm
No Travel Channel
No outdoor pool
Whirlpool didn't work

I would probably stay here again and a good choice to be close to Raleigh.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Durham Southpoint? Share your experiences!