“Serendipity!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Kettering, Ohio
“Serendipity!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

For the first time, my husband and I arrived in an area (Chapel Hill/Durham) without a reservation, assuming that we would have no problems. WRONG!!! We were turned away from four hotels before we finally found the Hilton Garden Inn. Were we lucky! The staff was very friendly and efficient -- one front desk clerk recommended an incredible (well priced!) restaurant. We had a beautiful 2 room suite (at a very reasonable price) with 2 tv's and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in away from home! And, there were enough plugs to charge our electronics! Only downside (of the chain, I guess) is that breakfast isn't included in the rate! I highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

First of all, the location of this hotel is great! There is a Ruth Chris steakhouse on property and a ton of other restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. (Chilis, Buffalo Wild Wings, Teds Montana Grill, Cheesecake Factory, Firebirds, Champps and many more). Check-in was fast and efficient, but that's kind of where it ends with this place for me. The hallways must not even be air conditioned as you step off the elevator into a steam bath. Sure it's summer, but the A/C works in my room, why not in the hallways? The linens on the bed are very thin and cheap, not standard for a HGI property. The internet is REALLY SLOW as I type in this review. I've tried both wireless and wired and both are equally slow. The carpet in my room definitely needs a good shampooing and I wouldn't think of letting my bare feet touch the carpet.

There are too many other properties in the area that are better, but the thing that this location has going for it, is just that, location. Right across the street from the Southpoint Mall and tons of restaurants and shopping. Would I come back? Probably not, but it was OK for one night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I use this hotel frequently for my Business Associates who come to town. It has a very good business center, fitness area, and even in-room fitness is available.

There is a large Mall across the street with a Theater, so in case your guests want to do something on their own. There are a great # of restaurants over at the Mall as well, or even next door to the hotel is a Chili's, Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, Moe's Mexican Restaurant, and a Ted's Montana Grill. All within walking distance, or the Hotel Shuttle will take you.

There is also on-site restaurant and small bar, or just walk next door to Ruth Chris'.

The rates are usually reasonable, and the staff is always very prompt, and courteous.

I highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn at Southpoint Durham was a okay hotel. It is located across the street from Durham Southpoint Mall. I was celebrating my sister's birthday in Durham and the hotel is within walking distance to her apartment. The room was decent except for a cigarette burn mark on the bathroom sink. I also thought the bed was a little bit on the soft side even though I don't like a firm bed. Even though the hotel is fairly new it already seemed a little worn and the hallway smelled like cheap air freshener.
I didn't eat at the hotel but I wanted to check out the indoor pool that was closed for repairs upon our arrival. It opened later and the water seemed a little cold. Also the jets on the whirlpool didn't work. The only bar and restaurant open past 10pm was Wild Wings Cafe. If you like lots of generic chain restaurants with out much character well this is place for you.
I will say the staff and nice and accommodating and this hotel is really convenient to Raleigh. It may be quicker to get to Raleigh than downtown Durham.

Pros-

Not a lot of things to do after 10pm
No Travel Channel
No outdoor pool
Whirlpool didn't work

I would probably stay here again and a good choice to be close to Raleigh.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Service was amazing, from the shuttle to the check out. Manager is doing regular follow up and you see the result, clean restaurant, room, conference room, good service not issue. Great hotel for Raleigh. Many restaurant at walking distance.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Just a few points on this property. On the positive side it is in a great location and seems to be relatively new. There are many restaurants within walking distance. From a negative side, my room was not clean during my trip. They did not replace the cups and did not vacuum the room each day. The room I had a musty smell and I asked management to correct this however nothing was done and they did not follow up on my concerns.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Located just off I-40 and across the road from the South Points shopping complex. Easy to get to and depart, in the middle of a major shopping area and centrally located for Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill.

Much as expected for a Hilton. Adequate common area (living room motif) and casual dining area of functional tables. Small food ordering area and small bar. Reception staff were very pleasant and well trained. They seemed happy with their work and knew what to do. We had a "corner" room which supposedly provides more space than a normal room (no extra charge). There was a large unfurnished square when you entered the room, so that must be the extra space. As it was empty, it didn't have much utility other than providing space.

Two very comfortable queen beds, large flat screen TV and the channels that one would expect. Small fridge and free Wi-Fi that was faster than most hotels. Nice toiletries and towels. Average clothes closet.

I was there for a week, so I had lots of time to get the feel for the place.

A few things that I didn't like. No safe. They can't be that expensive – put in room safes.

Our first night one of the beds appeared to have the linens from the previous guest. Linens were wrinkled and had the impression of a body. Also some pillows and the top sheet near the pillows smelled of perfume and lotion. Worse, there were several suspicious hairs between the sheets in the middle of the bed. It was 10:30 PM when we noticed this, so I felt I had to live with it as the housekeeping was most likely gone and I didn't want to repack and move to another room. The next morning I complained at reception and asked that housekeeping be sure that they replace the linens. The young lady at reception looked horrified – especially about the suspicious hairs. Sheets were replaced, but nothing beyond that. No message of apology, no note from the manager or housekeeping supervisor, no free piece of toast, drink, snack, etc. Nothing. The hotel had numerous notices of a "no-fee" policy if your room was substandard. I wouldn't have accepted a free room, but it would have been good form if the hotel had at least offered.

Also, the smoke detector had two bright green lights that blinked every ten seconds. Not a problem in the day, but surprisingly bright in the night and distracting when trying to sleep if facing the detector. Maybe the battery was low, or it was proud that it was functional. I inquired at the desk and was told that maintenance would look at it. Nothing changed and I never heard further from the hotel. I solved the problem myself by putting wet wadded tissue over each light.

A few small things: Free coffee in the lobby (thank you), but when the non decaf was finished on some days, it wasn't replaced. Also, when I arrived the coffee station had some small cardboard sleeves to help hold the hot coffee cups. Once depleted on day two, these weren't replaced either druing my stay.

Food wise, I didn't try the restaurant at the hotel, as the immediate area was teeming with places to eat. PF Chang, Chili's and a Mexican place within easy walking distance. Also SW Grill and some wing place a bit further. If you drove three minutes to the shopping complex, it had numerous places on the open-air pedestrian mall between the enclosed mall and the cinema.

Would I go back? Tough question. The soiled linens and hair issue is unforgivable at a Hilton. Also, the way management handled it either showed a breakdown in training/communication or a lack of concern. I realize that sometimes life doesn't go the way it's supposed to go and mistakes happen in housekeeping, but I can't accept the management's lack of concern. Had they acted differently, I would have had some more positive things to write on them.

Other than that, I found the place nice and very friendly, the room comfortable and the location (for what I needed) ideal. Had the linen problem not occurred, I would recommend this place without hesitation. However, now I feel that I can't trust the place to be a "real" Hilton and would need to look out for myself, as the management didn't appear to. I would use it again, but I would give the room a thorough inspection when checking in.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. More space for the same price.