I stayed at this hotel for a full 4 months and it was a bumpy ride. You need to really think about this place before you call it home. Let's start with what worked. The staff was amazing! Say hi to Emri for us! She was a standout. But everyone with the exception of one or two folks really made it seem like home, even the lady who made our breakfast and dinners, always smiling. And you do get to know so many of your fellow extended stayers that it really does begin to feel like home despite the hotel's many many problems, you do connect and that helps. So thank you to the staff. I feel for them because I know for a fact they get tons of complaints they cannot do much about. I also know this Staybridge is independently owned and somehow IHC (the hotel company) came right before my stay started in August 2012 to inspect and somehow despite the issues passed them! So actually I blamed IHC for caring more about their franchise fee than they do the customer, overall cleaniness and health and their hotel chain, which makes me think about their hotels in general - which are Holidays Inns, Intercontinentals, etc. Why do I say this? I was in a 2 bedrooms, 2 bath apartment on the 4th floor where they still have smoking rooms, which is archaic in this day and age, and it smelled horrible! The carpet in the room was stained so badly, cleaning it would do no good, it simply needed to be replaced, and they gave me the key to several other 2 bed/2 bath apartments and the same there, all the carpets were badly stained and needed replacing. The furniture was dingy, dirty and ripping literally at the seams in many places. You really just didn't want to sit in it. We covered it in old sheets just to sit down! The chairs, not only in the room, but in the breakfast/dinner area were spotted almost completely and ripped at the seams in many spots and need a complete overhaul across the board. Sitting for meals was a challenge as well because they were so dingy and worn out in the room and for meals. They also need to replace the entire housekeeping team. When we moved out and checked all our drawers we found mens clothing way behind the drawers that we didnt' see when we moved in?! That's disgusting!!!! We never had a man in the apartment ever!!! I mean gross! We The shower rods were falling apart and no matter how often I asked they never got fixed so I gave up. When we first moved in the TVs were broken so they had to replace both of them, but only after I asked them to, they should have been replaced before we moved in, same with the remotes. Luckily the beds were clean because I was in the small apartment with my school aged child and my sister and we never got any bugs or anything, so that was good. The bathrooms were ok thank goodness making them acceptable considering how bad the other parts of the room were (aka carpet, furniture, etc.). The kitchenettes were so small, do not expect to cook in these anything more than soup or mac and cheese. The refrigerator is big enough but it was never cleaned out properly, no matter how often asked ours was stained from when we came into the apartment on the inside and remained stained, they told us they were permanent stains. The dishwasher was so old the motor broke! They had to come in and replace the entire thing! One can see they definitely do not do any sort of maintenance on their kitchens, if they had they would be replacing parts that are on the way out or permanently stained or not working properly,etc...The carpeting in the elevators has a permanent dust/dirt ring around it, so gross that it has to be replaced immediately, it might even be a health hazard..for allergies at least. There are so many people here that use the hospital facilities I am surprised they dont get more sick considering the amount of renovation this place needs and doesn't get. Breakfast is minimal, fruit is never ripe and mostly canned, breakfast meat is always undercooked and the dinner sides are usually undercooked and they dont have enough help so things dont get filled up on time and theres a wait and so many people and then there is a mess...and no variety, it's the same menu week after week, and if you are there for 4 months this gets tiring especially if its cooked badly. The soda machine kept breaking down and food items would dissapear for days and weeks and reappear, strange really. And the laundry room is a mess, sure it's free, but the machines are old, cracked, too small, not enough machines, and my clothes constantly came out dingy and sometimes smelling like tin. If you offer it offer it at a level that's expected compared to your competitors in the area. I blame this on the owners who just dont provide the management with the resources needed to properly manage this hotel so its clients are happy and I blame IHG for caring more about its franchise fee than its customer service and loyalty than what this hotel is actually delivering. The extended stay hotels in the area may be more expensive, but they offer so much more across the board it's worth the extra money especially if you are staying a long time and especially if you are using the hospital facilities, if I were one of the unfortunately sick folk that stay at this hotel, I would check out and use one of the many competitors in the area who are way cleaner and are renovated...I would be afraid this place would make me sicker given the carpet and furniture issues, the food cooking issues, the fact stuff is not cleaned up the tables are usually dirty for an extended period of time, the garbage is usually too full during meals for an extended period of time, it's just unhealthy and unsightly and not what you expect from a staybridge or an IHG hotel....unfortunate because as I said the staff here are awesome and they should have more to work with, they deserve more to work with...I will miss the staff, they were great and I felt like I became friends with them and I will go back and visit...
- Also Known As:
- Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-Rtp Hotel Durham
- Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-Rtp Hotel
- Staybridge Suites Durham
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come to the Staybridge Suites Chapel Hill-Durham , a new, all-suite extended-stay hotel. We re located a few miles from Duke Medical Center, UNC Chapel Hill, Dupont, IBM, Motorola, Nortel, and GlaxoSmithKline. Guarantee the success of your next event in our smartly decorated meeting rooms, with professional planners to assist you. Take care of business in our 24-hour business center with copying and faxing services. Our spacious fitness facility and swimming pool will allow you to relax during your stay and work off the stress after a busy day of meetings. Each of our delightfully appointed suites will have you feeling like you are vacation, even if you re not. Each has a fully equipped kitchen with all the tools you ll need to whip up your favorite meals. Enjoy thoughtful amenities such as cable TV, free high-speed Internet access, and voicemail-enabled phones. Staybridge Suites is moments from all the unique, interesting attractions of the Chapel Hill/Durham area. We are convenient to the Morehead Planetarium, Studio 91, Ackland Art Museum, Triangle Theatre Festival, Wallace Wade Stadium, and the Carolina Brewery. Get comfortable it s Staybridge Suites Chapel Hill Durham! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, IHG, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com and Hotwire so you can book your Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.