“Wonderful travel lunch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bleu Olive

Bleu Olive
1821 Hillandale Rd, Durham, NC 27705 (Formerly Bleu Olive Bistro)
+1 919-383-8502
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bleu Olive is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 638 restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Tapas, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Transit: Yes
Description: A new Mediterranean Bistro serving lunch & dinner Monday thru Saturday as well as brunch on Sunday
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Wonderful travel lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stopped off I-85 (exit 174?) at Durham looking for a place for lunch and stumbled upon the Bleu Olive. Excellent and attentive service, wonderful soup of the day and salads. Would certainly plan to include it again if near meal time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Disappointing Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family and I had lunch at Bleu Olive Bistro last weekend and we were disappointed with the overall experience. The portions were small and over priced and the service was extremely slow - even to collect our orders and deliver drinks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Durham NC
“Still a Winner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I returned to the Bleu Olive on Tuesday July 9th to celebrate my birthday. We were again warmly greeted and were well taken care of by our waitress. The menu was unchanged from our prior visit, so I ordered my favorite Blue Cheese Wedge Salad $6.50 and the Calamari appetizer $11.50. Wife ordered the Char Grilled Octopus $9.50 that is served with marinated onions, lettuce and olive vinaigrette and the Lamb Lollichops $13.5 that are served with
baby arugula and pickled fennel in a port wine reduction.

There was one immediate disappointment as there was only one of the two chardonnay choices by the glass available. We had the Hess Select before and it was not available, so we asked for a taste of the other. The waitress brought us a taste and it was a dry fruity type of chardonnay which left us in a quandary. Do we order a $48 bottle of wine that we still may not like or drink a glass of wine that we know we do not like? I looked at the selections and saw a Viognier that was served by the glass which was acceptable. The manager came over to explain that he was changing the wine menu, which was why the selection was limited.
He did not however offer to serve a chardonnay by the glass that was on the list as a bottle only.

The bread was brought to our table with the roasted garlic dipping oil that was excellent. The salad was great and the calamari dish was awesome. It was sautéed calamari with capers, black and green olives, diced tomatoes, spinach, and feta in a white wine sauce. The wife's Char Grilled Octopus was grilled perfectly, as it was not overdone and rubbery. The Lamb Lollichops were also a perfect medium rare just was they were ordered. Our waitress was very attentive throughout the dinner even though she has several other tables. The manager also stopped by to check on us and brought additional bread.

I got the complimentary birthday dessert of a chocolate mousse cake to go as we were more than satisfied by the end of the dinner. The food and service are still excellent and hopefully the new wine list will be in place the next time we return.
I would suggest offering more wine selections by the glass and perhaps offer a wine tasting flight to highlight the new wines on the menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dalton, Massachusetts
“Bloody Maria's with brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We love going here for brunch or a meal any day of the week, food is always good, menu is fresh and the staff is on top of things. I would reccomend to anyone, I'm picky and I always find something yummy.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, North Carolina
“Nice place for lunch/brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We went to Bleu Olive for Father's Day brunch and were pleasantly surprised. The restaurant looks to be fairly new and is located in a nondescript strip shopping plaza. The atmosphere is contemporary and casual with friendly, attentive staff.

The food was interesting, a blend of American and Mediterranean influences. I had fried oysters which tasted fresh and sweet but could have been crispier. My wife had chermoula salmon which was done just right, cooked right through but juicy and creamy as salmon is supposed to be. Our starter of baba ghannouj was also delicious and was served with crispy pita points and cucumber slices.

All in all a good introduction to a new restaurant. We will be back for dinner one of these days.

• Visited June 2013