“not at all worth the time $$ - even with a coupon” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
North Carolina
“not at all worth the time $$ - even with a coupon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We were in Durham last light for a dance performance at DPAC and, since we really like Greek food, decided to use one of our Entertainment book coupons to try Spartacus. Should have really taken the time to read these reviews!! While the service was quite good, the food was mediocre at best.
In fact, the only really enjoyable thing was my husband's cocktail - a Raspberry Veranda.
That was one of the most refreshing & perfectly blended cocktails we've had in a long time.
We would agree that the mixed platter appetizer platter left a good bit to be desired - greasy spanikopita and dried out meats. My husband's "greek" salad was minus both olives and feta. We had the specials - lamb shank (normally one of my husband's very favorite dishes) and swordfish. The shank had very little flavor and the swordfish was really overcooked.
Will definitely NOT GO BACK!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Durham, North Carolina
“You got me once, You'll never get me again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I tried Spartacus in Durham,NC. On June 30, 2013.
Lets see, the food was not good. By this I mean, the hot items were room temp and dry.
I didn't like the buffet setup at all, the warmers were not functioning correctly and the food overall tasted sub par.
I ordered iced tea and for some reason the waitress only servered me sweet tea(no ice).
Not to meantion, the price for buffet and a sweet tea was $19.00.
I will never go back and never recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mandeville, Louisiana
“Very Pleased”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We dined here as a party of six and had a wide variety of dishes: soups, salads, appetizer platters and entrees. Every single item was tasty and well-prepared. The service was prompt and extremely courteous, and the decor was pleasant (the dining room has a pleasingly austere quality without too much detail).
I would definitely visit Spartacus again; we were very pleased.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
“Letdown from Livingsocial”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We headed over to Spartacus when I snagged a Livingsocial deal, but it ended up being a disappointment. I do want to say that the service we had was reasonably nice -- our waitress was kind and attentive without being in-your-face. The first issue we ran into was the atmosphere: for a restaurant that calls itself "Greek," it could be anything, with stark white walls and random oldies playing over the speakers. We decided to eat out on the patio, though, and that was nice because it was pretty quiet.

Unfortunately, the real letdown was the food. For fifteen dollars a plate, I expect better-than-mediocre food. The Greek salad was decent, but the spinach dip we were given was green Ranch dressing, and the pita bread was definitely packaged. My mixed grilled platter had three different meats, all of which were overcooked and gristley. I bit into my pork and thought that they had given me flounder because of the strange taste. My boyfriend's vegetarian moussaka was made with sweet potatoes instead of eggplant, even though the menu said it would be made with eggplant. Overall, the real disappointment? A restaurant that calls itself "Greek" is about as far from it as you can get. The meal tasted more like Hoss's than any Greek restaurant I've been to.

While we really wanted to like this restaurant, it was a tremendous disappointment with service, the patio, and a salad as the highlights. I'm really relieved that we had a Livingsocial deal, because I would have been furious if we had paid full price for our meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Thank you for an excellent dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I were in for dinner and we sat outside on their deck and listened to a guitarist play beach music (featured event) - great way to start the holiday weekend. ;) The greeting on arrival, food service and orders were prompt. The quality of food and beverage was delicious. The overall staff was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to others. We plan on going back and "hanging loose" (pun intended) for their upcoming event... "Hawaii Night."

Visited May 2013