“Local favorite and I see why” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 653 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Goochland, Virginia, United States
“Local favorite and I see why”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Went for lunch on recommendation and I was impressed. So much so I went back for dinner. Tried the pulled pork sandwich and it was incredible. At dinner I had to try the ribs..even better!! smoky goodness on a plate. Onion rings to die for, great cole slaw and hushpuppies. Overall 2 great food experiences. I never go back to the same place twice in one day but this was worth it...Oh, by the way, peach cobbler...awesome!
Quick service, Great food, very reasonable prices...What more can you ask for ?

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

There is nothing pretentious about this place. It is just delicious NC style BBQ. The pulled pork sandwich was great, served with hush puppies and your choice of side. The ribs were fall off the bone good. Can't go wrong here.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“Very Casual Yummy BBQ NC Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a must-stop on my trips to NC. The Q-Shack is rustic but clean, friendly but not overly. You order at the counter, then pick it up on the spot. Indoor and outdoor seating comes in the form of a standard picnic table. I rarely ever eat beef and actually love the brisket, which says a lot. The onion rings are the best I've ever had, not greasy and not too much batter, just right. The salad is ample portion and you can ask for a mix of meats atop if you like. The ice tea comes both sweetened and un (my favorite) and is freshly brewed. Good food, casual environment, and very reasonably prices. Parking is a little tight around peak times, like lunch, but you can usually find a spot - if not park across the street by the Thai place. There is no view - just the road and parking lot - but you will fixated on the view of your disappearing lunch!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Coastal Alabama
“UGH - they missed it....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was shocked when I came to make my review that this place had good reviews.. I looked several times to be sure I had the right restaurant selected. We got out of the truck and this place smelled awesome - good sign, right?.... After looking over the menu we ordered - I choose ribs and pork butt, fried okra and collard greens. Each meal comes with hush puppies. First bite of pork threw me off - it wasn't very good - watery, peppery - overwhelmingly peppery - nasty. Ribs were OK, something not right with them but I never could fully place what that was - boiled maybe? not sure... collard greens...well I can tell you no southern cook made those - they weren't horrible, but they weren't great either - they were missing a lot. VERY watery, and not the good soak your hush puppies/corn bread in the juice watery. Fried okra was good - minus the salt - okra isn't a fry, you don't sea salt okra. The hush puppies were really good and the best thing there. My husband ordered BBQ beans as one of his sides and didn't like them, I decided to give them a go. Tomato paste/sauce with a bean in it. Chunks of onion, and tomato... it really almost tasted like a pasta dish with beans instead of noodles. We were disappointed - my husband and I love BBQ, being from the South, there's lots of really good BBQ in many different places - this was way off from being good BBQ, I'm still in shock it has such great reviews... it was eatable, but not something we'd go back for - we will not return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
NJ
“Wish I lived closer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

While visiting Durham in December, the desk clerk at our hotel recommended Q Shack...we were so happy she did. After driving all day long, and being determined to have good "q" while in Durham, this place fit the bill.
Every single thing we ate was amazing. The ribs were exptemely meaty, just smokey enough, flavorful, and just delicious. Everything else we ordered was also yummy.
Finally, the prices could not be beat. The same meal in NY would have cost us twice the price. We enjoyed our dinner so much that we returned for lunch the next day! True love.

• Visited December 2012