“Quintessential college-town Mexican eatery” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #225 of 675 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Mexican, Vegetarian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Durham, North Carolina
“Quintessential college-town Mexican eatery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

A good, upstairs, very inexpensive Mexican restaurant just off Ninth Street in Durham. It's simple and minimalistic, but tasty. The menu is rather diverse, and every dish I have had here has been well-prepared.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Jacksonville, Florida
“Great Mexican just off Campus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Loved this little cantina! The chicken salad was delicious, with tender, juicy chicken, guac, pico, on top of fresh greens(no iceberg).

• Visited May 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Long Night Of Drinking - Check
Hungry After Last Call - Check
Eat At Cosmic - Check

For the last 10 years Cosmic has been my go to spot for late night eating. I visited the C-Hill spot many times throughout college and when a Durham location opened up I was ecstatic. Now I just wish they would open up in Raleigh. Although most of the times I had quite a few drinks when I eat here I do know my food and regardless would not eat anything that did not taste good. The lines are usually long but go fast. The food is made to order and fresh. If you looking for good late night food skip the Wafffle House and go to Cosmic.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Carolina
“Don't miss this tiny place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We visited Cosmic Cantina for the first time last night. It is an easy place to miss. It is located on the second level and has very little signage. Follow the signs to the dance studio. This place is bare bones, but has a large menu of Mexican favorites. The food is super cheap, too. You can sit inside or go to the small rooftop deck. The servings were generous. My husband and I both has the chicken burritos, his was regular and mine was deluxe (add sour cream and guacamole). The chicken was fresh and tasty and the combination with beans, rice, lettuce, cheese, and salsa was very good. We both enjoyed our dinners and the chips that came with the plate. The also have beer, shots, sangria, and margaritas. I would go back, but I would have to be in the area to stop in (meaning I would not go out of my way to visit).

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nashville, Tennessee
“A True Treasure of Durham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Attending Duke as an undergraduate meant several things: tough classes, huge basketball victories, wonderful friends, and ..... Cosmic Cantina.

It would be impossible to recount the number of times I dined at Cosmic. Whether for lunch, dinner, or a highly intoxicated meal at 4am after Shooters, Cosmic never fails to deliver. Personally, I always opt for the chicken burrito, though the steak quesadilla is wonderful as well. The guacamole and salsa are always fresh and delicious. And the margaritas are terrific.

If your craving a delicious bite at an excellent price, this is the place for you. And no matter how old I get, Cosmic will always be the first place I visit when I come back to Durham.

• Visited September 2012