“Tasty bistro food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vin Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 655 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th St.
Description: Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.
Pinehurst, North Carolina
“Tasty bistro food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Vin Rouge has a real bistro feel, from the decor to the professional (but not stuffy) service, and the food -- steak frites, charcuterie, etc. -- is authentic and fairly reasonably priced. The outdoor patio is very pleasant in nice weather.
The major downside is the indordinately high markups on wine & alcohol. I would eat there much more often if they want back to serving inexpensive, or at least reasonably-priced, "house" wines by the small or large carafe.

London
“Comme si comme ca”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

Ate at Vin Rouge this evening. It's an attractive restaurant with a good selection of brasserie fare. However, the overall experience was so - so. I ordered a Martini before dinner - it was terrible - cloudy, watery and weak. That's a small thing to get wrong - but how do you get chilled gin wrong? The service was either too fast or too slow. Starters came about one minute after cocktails arrived and the wine while we were in the middle of eating our starters. Then, empty plates sat on the table - after both starters and main courses - until I asked to have the table cleared. Our waiter just wasn't very attentive. Very pleasant - just not 'there.' The food was also mixed. Starters were good but I my main course was a bad version of a simple dish. I had the roast chicken with Lyonaise potatoes. Those two elements were perfectly good, however they were smothered in a vinegar-heavy brown sauce. This completely ruined the dish. To be fair, I MAY have been fore-warned about the sauce on the menu - I guess I just didn't notice. In any event, it completely lacked subtlety and overpowered the chicken and potatoes. Also, I ordered a side of Bernaise for the chicken. At best it had experienced only a passsing glance at any tarragion before arriving at the table. It was tasteless. We didn't have dessert, so no idea how well that was done. Three other points. The wine list is entirely French - a good selection, but a little expensive relative to the price of the food (cheapest bottles around $30). There were lots of off-menu specials. Given that the menu has a good mix of dishes I couldn't figure out why there were five or six specials made from ingredients not on the fixed menu. Maybe the chef is bored? Finally, ventilation is non-existent. We were in a back room but the smoke / smell from the open kitchen grill left my clothes smelling awful. Open a window! On balance OK - but it could so easily be so much better. If they got the small the small things right - more attentive service, more attention to the core menu and upgrading the extractor fans - this would be an excellent restaurant.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Very nice French Bistro...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

Very nice French Bistro. Friendly service, nice presentation, good menu and value.

USA
“Medocre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

We've eaten here twice- nice atmosphere but the food is mediocre- will not go back.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Not a huge fan of French...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

Not a huge fan of French bistro fare. Good brunch.