“The perfect anniversary spot!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Four Square Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 653 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Pickett Rd.
Durham, North Carolina
“The perfect anniversary spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Excellent all around - this restaurant is beautiful, has FANTASTIC service, and offers some unique and totally delicious fare. We chose Four Square for our anniversary dinner this year and even though the name of the place is strange, we were very glad we chose them as our celebration spot.
For our appetizers, I got the lamb belly and my husband got the beef tongue, and for main courses I got the quail and husband got the snapper. Everything was perfect and so well made. We sat outside on the screened in porch and it was a pleasant experience even though it was a warm evening. Our server Heather was fantastic and so attentive, we didn't feel like she came to our table too much or too little, which is a welcome change from what we normally experience while eating out. It's rare that we have such a good experience at a restaurant, but this is definitely one we will be talking about for a while. :)

• Visited July 2014

Maryland
“Different and Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

It has been a long time since I have had a meal this delicious. My husband and I and our 2 teenagers are not "Foodies", but we loved it! I wish I had a copy of the menu to tell you specifically what we had, because most of the items were not just one thing. They were inventive and delicious complex combinations of things. While some of the ingredients were edgy or unusual for us, there was nothing we felt more than mildly uncomfortable trying. For example, my son has never had quail, but he loved it. My son had a great dessert too, a chocolate cheesecake with raspberries and basil. My Thai chili pepper sorbet was the best though.

The service was also wonderful. We could ask whatever stupid questions we had without feeling foolish and our glasses were never empty, The bread was plentiful too, which is a great because even the most civilized of you will be tempted to lick your plates clean. The bread allows you to not let one drop of the yummy sauces go to waste.

My only complaint about this restaurant is that it is in Durham, NC and we don't live remotely close to Durham, NC. Hopefully our daughter will get in to Duke so we can dine here much more.

P.S. Thank you fellow Tripadvisor people, for ranking Four Square so highly that we tried it.

• Visited August 2014
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Great restaurant. The service was impeccable! Was with a group of 9. Every dish was perfectly prepared and professionally served. Elegant atmosphere. Would definitely return again. Not to be missed if you are in Durham.

Visited July 2014
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Best Birthday Dinner in the Triangle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Chef Shane and Sous Chef Jeff cooked a spectacular dinner last night - every course was delicious !!! The staff and ambience were just the best - could not have asked for anything better!

• Visited June 2014
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
“Special tasting dinner for birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My wife and and another couple had dinner last night at Four Square for my wife's belated birthday. WE allowed Shane Ingram to pick the menu and Brandon to pick the wines. We spent 3 hours enjoying every bite - a summer salad with fresh fruit, a tile fish cooked to perfection and then lamb cooked perfectly. The dessert was a square of french toast top and bottom with cheese cake in the middle and maple syrup accompanied by a delicious port. The wines were viognier, sauvignon blanc, and cabernet sauvignon. The sauces and accompanied vegetables were all spectacular - not too much and all with complex smells and tastes. It was a meal to remember

• Visited June 2014