“Outstanding Wood-fired Pizza” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Saxapahaw, North Carolina, United States
“Outstanding Wood-fired Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

My husband and I had been waiting for this place to re-open since we moved back to NC from Florida over a year ago. When they finally did (we waited for a month or so to avoid the crowds) we went for dinner on a Thursday night around 7:30. To my surprise, we were seated immediately. Our server was super friendly, very knowledgeable, and perfectly attentive without being bothersome.

To start with, we ordered a bottle of wine and spilt the burrata and eggplant caponata with crostini for an appetizer. The burrata was melt-in-your-mouth creamy and the caponata was perfectly seasoned. For our pizzas, I ordered the white yukon gold potato pizza with bagna cauda and pecorino. My husband chose the red pizza with fried eggplant, roasted garlic, and ricotta. Both were outstanding. The crusts were perfectly crisp, the ingredients were very high quality, and the flavor combinations were spot on. We shared the pizzas with each other and had more than half of each leftover to take home. My husband loved their chili oil and they gave him some to-go.

My only criticism would be that the tables are a little too close together for my taste, but since the atmosphere is loud, fun, and casual this wasn't a problem. My husband and I can't wait to go back and try out their other pizzas. This will definitely go into our rotation of favorite date night restaurants.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Durham, North Carolina
“3 Thumbs Up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I give this place 3 thumbs up it was so good! Let's start by saying I was put off a bit by the wait...was told about 1 hour for a table at 6:00pm - very surprised - but if people are waiting, it must be worth it, right? Turns out it was only 30 minutes, but there is a great bar area to wait in, so no biggie. First, the dining room was just so cool. The tables are set up communal style in a large room that shares space with the pizza oven and kitchen area. An odd set up, but we felt like we were part of the action. The service was great - our waitress took time to discuss all of the pizzas and ingredients and preparation. Very attentive and prompt. We started off with a radicchio salad with salted capers and parmesan - delicious! For four of us, we ordered 3 pizzas - planning on leftovers to take home. No such luck, lol, we ate it ALL! The crust was cooked to perfection - crispy outer edges and a light, fluffy inside. We had 2 red pizzas - the buffalo mozz and the fennel sausage. The fennel sausage was my favorite. We also had a white with creamy cheese and foraged NC trumpet mushrooms. I was so blown away by how tasty they all were. I am definitely planning on going back very soon and very often!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham
“So good; brought to tears!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

To quote my (adult) daughter- "this was so good it brought me to tears". The kale salad is exceptional. Our buffalo mozzarella and white mushroom pizzas were models of perfect simplicity. Wonderful seasonings, delicious smoky and crisp crust -- and chili olive oil for the right dash of pizzaz. Topped off our great meal with cannoli's and a cappuccino. I'm a pizza snob from Brooklyn and this is something special. The best of the old neighborhood meets the 21st century. I love this place!

Durham, North Carolina
“overpriced and the pizza is hit or miss”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My pizza came out of the oven completely burned (completely black at the bottom and 50% black at the top, the topping had become charcoal that had been socked in oil) but the lady bringing the pizza to the table (not our waitress) said that was "pizza perfection" and I didn't know what I was talking about. Well ... some of the other pizzas that were delivered to other customers didn't' look like that!!. However, I was very tired ( I had been waiting 50 min for the pizza) and didn't want to argue any further over a pizza!!

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Durham
“the pizza was charcoal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went back to pizzeria toro for the 1st time afer the reopened last night an was very disappointed. The staff (not the waitress)was very rude. After waiting for the pizza for about 50 min, my pizza was burned completely..di not have a single spot that was not charcoal at the bottom and on the top was also 60% black. I complained to the girl bringing the pizza and she saind that's how they make it.(implicating that's the original pizza from Naples italy).well the pizza at other tables was not like that had just few spots that were black at the bottom and the top was normal.
I didn't want to start an argument becouse I was very tired. I had been at the hospital, vising a very sick friend, the whole weekend..so I ate what ever I could.
So, I am italian, and I have been in Naples several times at the best pizzerias (where the pizza is simple and cost 4 euro), and I garantie you that the pizza is not completely black, but has just some spots here and there that are black, and people usually discard those parts. Also the pizza is not dripping with oil.

• Visited July 2014