“Heavenly” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
NC
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very busy at lunchtime and single seating was at a long communal bar-type table. Conversation was open and easy - mostly about how good the pizza was. A little bit of a wait, but totally worth it!
The service was very gracious and the pizza was just out of this world - I've never had any like it or even close.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Durham, North Carolina
“A great alternative to the typical pizzas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Great wooded-oven pizzas!
kind of gourmet pizzas
A cozy environment, a nice wood oven and kitchen on display.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, NC
“Inviting space, but average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I have been twice, and both times the place has been packed. Service has always been wonderful and the concept is great, but both times I was disappointed by the food. If you are a fan of dry, brittle "cracker crust" pizza, you may like it, but despite the use of high quality ingredients (fennel sausage, anchovies, real mozzarella, kale, etc.), I did not care for the pie. Also, if you are hungry, the portion sizes may disappoint you. Community seating at the bar is fun, the wood -fired oven adds rustic cache' and the wine list is perfect for the simple menu, but the pizza, which should be the star of the show, was lacking.

Durham, NC, USA
“YUMMY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Ok, so I came in on a recommendation and was prepared for a specific dish and a very specific bottle of wine. Neither were available, the dish was seasonal and the wine, being popular was just out. Ok, so we remained flexible and asked our waitress for suggestions, and she was very knowledgeable and polite (shoot, wish I captured her name!) and walked us through the menu, with decent descriptions of what to expect. I will echo what one other reviewer stated, the menu is very limited, but that is actually one of the things I did appreciate. You can’t do everything well, so why not focus on a few things and do an awesome job at it! And from my experience, I would say that’s precisely what they do. The pizzas are expensive, but we found them sizeable enough for sharing. We started off with the kale salad, which was amazing; a vinaigrette dressing, shaved parm with a spicy finish; then went onto the lettuce soup (mainly for curiosities sake, and very happy we did) a hot soup, with buttery croutons and mascarpone cheese, now onto the main…pizza!!! We had the Meyer lemon pizza, and what a treat for the palate this was! Thinly sliced Meyer lemon, olive and a sauce that was so beautifully light it melted in your mouth along with the amazingly smooth cheese. When I say this place was a treat, it certainly was. They are pricey, but delish.

The restaurant is fashioned like an Italian kitchen, wide open, long tables, think cozy in terms of proximity to other dining guests-but we didn’t hate it. It was packed on a Wednesday night, with brief table waits for parties larger than 2, but they do have a bar area upstairs for those that need to relax with a cold one.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Cary, North Carolina
“Nice...but limited menu and pricing will likely keep me away.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is one of the new raves in Downtown Durham. It's a great atmosphere and service was very good. Two factors though may limit my return.

1. Pricing...$34 for lunch for two with no drinks. The pizzas come in just one size so unless you share a pizza you have to order two and they run $12-$15 each. Then there are the salads that are $8-9 each. The quality was good, fresh and flavorful, but I'd say that overall the menu is about 25%-33% overpriced. Or they should offer more of a personal size pizza option.

2. Menu size is very small. And apparantly you cannot "create your own" pizza so there are just a handful of chocies with many a tad too eclectic for me (a potaoto pizza, really?). My guest struggled to find something on the menu of interest.

I love wood fired pizzas and wish these folks the best and am hoping they expand the menu in the future with maybe a small price or size adjustment in the pizzas.

• 4 of 5 stars Food