“Disappointing...” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Spanish
NC
“Disappointing...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just went to Taberna for the first time last night. My husband and I adore Spanish food and were both eager to try this restaurant. When I think of our time spent in Spain, I fondly remember the wonderful sangria, paella, and gazpacho. Well Taberna was out of sangria (how do you let this happen), and did not have gazpacho! Also their paella was probably the worst that we have had anywhere. Really disappointing. Apparently, they do have a "traditional" paella available, but you have to order it when you make the reservation OR wait an hour. Hmmmm... Makes me wonder what the paella was that we ate. :(

They do have some good tapas, but overall, they need to make a lot of improvements.

We will not return.

Visited May 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“Mixed quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My daughter and I ate at Taberna on a Wednesday night. We were the only patrons until we had almost completed our meal. We ordered 5 different tapas as well as two glasses of wine taking advantage of a special on the tapas since we arrived before 7pm. Of the tapas we had, the salmon was excellent but exceedingly rare (a good thing that I don't mind it like that), the calamari were rubbery and unappetizing, the basque stew was OK, the patatas bravas tasted like very stale potatoes that had been refried at the last minute (not a good thing) and the slow roasted pork was very good. So net, one was awful, one was bad, one was OK and two were very good. None of the food was very hot. The white rioja wine was very good.

Overall not dreadfully impressed and if I lived here I would not go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Durham, NC
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

In short, the food is wonderful! Jessica, our server was top notch. I worried about the place making it when they didn't get a liquor license at first (tapas with no wine?), but despite the rather sparse decor, the experience was superb. The $10 two tapa lunch deal is the best in town. Try the fish stew!