“Love is not too strong a word” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gregoria's Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 638 restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cornwallis
Durham, North Carolina
“Love is not too strong a word”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Gregoria's is one of the best couple's dining experiences in Durham, and they have also handled our group dinners (usually 12 to 16 people, and sometimes small children) AMAZINGLY well. The chef has a remarkable "touch" and makes even simple food a great experience. The owner(s) and chef are always checking on customers to make sure everything is perfect.
I am writing this review partially in response to the negative comment before me- The reviewer says that the food was good and that the owner handled a problem for them personally, and at a huge financial loss to himself, bending over backwards to make their experience great. Then, when he is taking time to connect with you personally (which I would consider treating customers like family, but whatever) he says something you disagree with politically about the welfare system, so the restaurant gets one star and a slanderous label? "Bigot"? Really?! That is a highhanded, petty, misleading, abuse of the rating system in my opinion.

Back to the real point: Gregoria's is wonderful, everyone I know who has eaten there has loved it. We were heartbroken when they closed due to a fire in their building last year, and are thrilled that they have reopened in a new space.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Durham, North Carolina
“Food Good, service a bit overzealous”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Overall we enjoyed our meal. However, the service was way too fast. Entrees came out before we had finished our appetizers (we sent the entrees back until we were ready). Wait staff was in too much of a hurry to remove plates of food that we had not finished with. All in all, if they can stop rushing thru their service this would be a nice, (RELAXING!) casual place for dinner.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Durham, North Carolina
“Enthusiastic Staff and Flavorful Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Did the Restaurant Week thing here as well as many others, it seems. I had a difficult time finding the place, as it's in a little corner of Durham I'm unfamiliar with. But it was worth the effort. Showed up with a friend without a reservation early on a Saturday, and as the tables were booked, we were accommodated at the bar (which only has three seats--one of the only negatives of the place). At $20, the 3-course RW menu was a steal. Had the plantains stuffed with beef, the roasted pork, and the coconut flan. Everything was bursting with intense flavor, and the main course came with the ubiquitous rice and black bean side. The portions were terrific and the flavors made me vow to return to work my way through the menu. Even at regular price, the dishes appear to be good value.

The renovated house is charming if slightly cramped (didn't see the upstairs). The night we went, there was a two-piece combo playing in the corner next to the bar. It's a nice touch in theory, but the acoustics of the house make the music a little too loud to be relaxing.

My favorite part of the experience was the service. All four or five staff members I encountered during the meal were warm and welcoming. There was a real feeling that they love their restaurant and are proud to work there. If you're a fan of Cuban food, check this place out ASAP. Now, if only they would expand that bar to make it a little more attractive for solo diners...

They take reservations on OpenTable, and it appeared you would be well-advised to make them, at least on weekends.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, North Carolina
“This place is fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The atmosphere, food and service is absolutely wonderful! I recommend this place to anyone living or visiting Durham.

Visited July 2012
NC
“Okay Food - Amateurish Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Gregoria's Kitchen was on our ‘must try’ list for a while, and last night was our opportunity to sample what has been touted as upscale Cuban food. We arrived at the restaurant and had a difficult time pulling in to find a place to park – a car blocked the drive and it appeared that they only have valet parking. We swung around and tried again; the drive was clear and the valet was then able to take our car.
The restaurant is in an old home converted into a restaurant, so the entry is a small vestibule. Stepping inside, we walked forward looking for the hostess station – there isn’t one. A woman came forward to greet us – she was the hostess who took us to our table. (To the other couple in the vestibule – I’m sorry we went ahead of you – we weren’t familiar with the setup.) In order to go to our table we went by a lively – and very loud – live instrumental group.
We were seated upstairs in a room with three other tables – the music wasn’t loud here – actually we could barely hear it. Our waitress promptly came to our table and offered menus. She also suggested that the restaurant serves the best mojito in town and we each ordered one – and yes, it was good.
I ordered the calamari appetizer; my husband ordered the plantain dish. His was tasty. My dish was overly breaded and overly cooked. A short time later, our entrees arrived – and my grilled skirt steak was done as I ordered – but as other reviewers reported, the chimichurri sauce wasn’t anything like sauces I’ve either had before or made myself. It would have been better to leave it off the dish.
And finally the vanilla flan for desert. Oh, how I would have appreciated not having a spoon that came with it submerged in the sticky syrup on the plate. But, by then with not have water glasses refilled, or any concern by the waitress to check on us, I mostly wanted to leave. It wasn’t just the food and service, but a very loud party of eight in a small room with nothing to absorb noise that made it impossible to have a dinnertime conversation.
Oh, the wine list was left with us, but at no time during the meal did the waitress inquire if we wanted a glass or bottle of wine. That oversight, noticed by us but not her, cost the restaurant a minimum of $20 more added to our bill.
So, while the food passed for okay, it isn’t a place I plan to return to, or recommend to anyone.

• Visited January 2013