“New Hotel -- very convenient” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #2 of 67 hotels in Durham
Charlotte, North Carolina
“New Hotel -- very convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Brand new hotel -- we were very pleased. We had family being treated at Duke Hospital & it was very convenient to get back and forth. The restaurant next door is convenient and has great food! We really enjoyed not having to drive somewhere for dinner -- it turned out to be a great place!

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor near the elevators and didn't hear any noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Mary T,

Thanks for reviewing our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get to Duke and back with ease and that you found a great restaurant option right by us. Thank you again and we hope to see you the next time you're in Durham!

294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel was very nice and so were the staff. We were doing college visits and it's a stone's throw from Duke, and about 20 minutes from UNC Chapel Hill. The breakfast was good, hot and plentiful. It's located right across the street from a mall and there's a few restaurants within walking distance. All in all, this was a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Necola1,

Thank you for reviewing our Hampton Inn & Suites! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our proximity to the major local universities. We hope you liked the schools you visited and that we'll see you again in the near future!

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed well over 30 nights in this hotel since January 2012. I stay 1 to 3 nights a month, depending on my business needs in the area. This review encompasses my experience over that period.
Check-in is typically very fast. There are usually two people at the desk from 4-ish to 7-ish (peak check-in time) to handle the traffic, but on a slow day like Monday-Wednesday there may be just one person at the desk. If there's a line, there's a coffee station right in the lobby with, of course coffee, and tea. Sometimes there are cookies to snack on, but they go very fast so if you see some snatch one quickly...I'm not sure they replenish.

This one's important for me: if they're busy with someone at the line or on the phone, most times they'll make a point to acknowledge you...even if they're busy it's nice to know you're not being completely ignored.

It's evident the management really cares about customer service. They're always ready to get you checked in fast and make sure everything is in order. They're very courteous and ready to get you into your room with all you need. Sometimes, someone from the front desk will call the room to be sure everything is fine with the room. The whole staff seems competent, but Alex stands out as someone who shows an outstanding enthusiasm for helping guests feel comfortable.

For Diamond members, this is close to a perfect hhonors member experience, but not quite. Recently they added the snack display where you're supposed to be given the choice of a snack or get the extra points, but I've never been offered the choice. When I go to my hhonors account days after my stay, however, the points are credited, so that's good. I usually opt for the points anyway, but it would be nice to be offered the choice because sometimes I may want a snack instead of 250 points. There are some snacks for sale behind the reception desk.

This is a well-secured hotel. Unless you have a room key the only way in is through the front door. The room keys are the RFID type. It means no slots to deal with, just wave the key in front of the lock. And because there is no magnetic strip on the key, you can put the key in your pocket with your cellphone and the key won't erase.

The hotel is newly-opened (I think less than 2 years) so the rooms are impeccable and nicely put together. The rooms have walk-in showers with glass doors. The suites have tubs. I never have any concerns leaving my personal items in the room. They never get touched if housekeeping comes in. I have ways of knowing. The staff is very trustworthy.

Breakfast is decent. There is always someone or two keeping things neat and the food coming at a good pace. They'll even offer to clear your table if they notice you're finished and are just enjoying the paper, the news on the tv, or whatever screen you're looking at. I wish the eggs were real, but the reconstituted egg-nuggets are Hampton-wide so it's not this location's fault but they make up with excellent service. Otherwise it's a well-balanced choice of fruits, grains, proteins, and beverages. Large clear windows allow plenty of light in the eating area and provide an energetic setting to start the day. The staff is very friendly and will most likely give you the first smile you'll see that day.

Wednesdays there is a manager's reception with light food and adult beverages include beer and wine.

The indoor swimming pool is not heated. That is my only true complaint. Despite that, you won't find a better hotel in a very wide radius.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Brainboner,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review and we are thankful for you staying with us the past year and beyond. I'm really happy to hear that you've had so many great experiences while visiting us and we appreciate your feedback as well and will certainly discuss it to make sure we provide the best stay we can for all of our guests, HHonors and otherwise. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Provo, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

A family emergency required me to fly to Durham with less than 24-hours notice. We have always relied on a dependable level of good service, cleanliness and safety at Hampton Inns, but this one went beyond the expected when they provided, with no advanced warning, a comfortable room for 5 nights. This required the front desk to do some extraordinary maneuvering so that I would not have to change rooms during my stay. I also appreciated the hot breakfast every morning. This Hampton Inn provided comfort and serenity for me during a stressful time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear LindaM3,

I'm happy that we were able to be there for you during a stressful time and could accommodate all of your needs while you were in town. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and send our best wishes to you and your family.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

On a trip to East Coast, DC, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. Took my 17 year old to see Duke University and stayed one night at this Hampton. Place was super clean, quiet, and excellent breakfast. It sold me on Hampton Inns and I will try them again. We stay quite often at Holiday Inn Express because they are very clean but I would have to say Hampton was better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear travelinmen,

Thank you for giving us a try and reviewing your stay. I'm pleased to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed our "Hamptonality." We hope you and your child enjoyed touring Duke & look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in Durham!

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed there for a recent dance competition. The hotel is nice, neat, clean and fairly new. The breakfast was plentiful and had a lot of a variety of items. There was even a hostess of sorts that was checking on tables and providing refills if needed.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear noriko b,

Thanks for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you found us clean and neat and were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast and service so much. We hope to see you again the next time you're in Durham!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is more like a Hyatt Place, their business oriented hotel. It is beautiful, clean, breakfast has more variety than most, staff is very accommodating and the location is near a mall and Costco. They had a manager's reception while we were there and every Wednesday from 5:30 to 6:30, featuring food, wine, beer, and other beverages. We will stay here every te we are in Raleigh/Durham area.

• Stayed March 2013
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear marieds,

Thanks for taking the time to review our Hampton Inn & Suites; it's great that you were able to take advantage of our manager's reception while you were in town. We indeed try to cater to all of our business travelers as well as guests just passing through, so I'm glad we could meet your expectations. Thanks again and we can't wait for your next stay!

Daly Seven, Inc

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85? Share your experiences!