“Lovely Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vienna, Ohio
“Lovely Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

In town for a wedding so we got to check out a few of their rooms. Suites seem to be the -25 rooms. We were in 425 and it was a huge room with 2 double or Queen sized beds and a fold-out couch. Faced the highway but that was not loud or bright - good curtains in the room. One mattress seemd a bit soft for our backs, but the other bed/mattress got no complaints. The handicaped accessible room 216 on the second floor had a reg tub which did not work for my relative who specifically asked for a handicap accessible room. 216 faces the front of the hotel, and it's window looks at the back of the hotel's front entrance facade. 216 has grab bars thru-out the bathroom and wide space thru-out the room, but the tub was a problem. On the first floor facing the back of the hotel/ the highway is room 125 ~ a suite with no tub! Why the staff didn't put the requested handicap accessible person in the room with no tub was confusing to us.... maybe because it is a suite instead of a reg room? Would have been nice if the reservations folks or staff had asked some Qs before assigning the rooms as they did. Also facing the front of the hotel is Suite 325 with a King sized bed ~ a smaller suite space than we had in room 425, but still a lovely room. All all rooms had a mini-fridge and microwave with a sep sink area (with a large mirror - very nice for multiple people getting ready at the same time). The biggest complaint from our room was that the light switch for the bathroom is outside of the bathroom before you enter ~ frustrating when you want to use the facilities at night but don't want to wake everyone else. Were a bit disappointed that the pool was small and not as warm as we would have liked, but the hotel's location (proximity) was perfect for our needs. Might be nice if there was either public transportation or a shuttle to/from the airport, but the breakfasts were yummy, fresh and well maintained by very nice & helpful staff ~ in fact all staff we met were wonderful. Tripps across the street was good and we loved that Tripps and the mall were close enough to walk to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed one night at this Hampton Inn. This is a newer hotel and it shows.

I stayed in a King suite and the room was large and was unique from any other hotel I've seen. There was a desk in the middle of the room with the TV mounted above the desk. Very unique and functional.

The breakfast in the morning was good- standard Hampton fare. The breakfast area is large, which is nice.

Internet worked well.

Staff was very nice.

I would highly recommend this Hampton Inn.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Seagrove, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just stayed at the Hampton in Durham this past weekend during a baseball showcase at Duke and this was the best Hampton we have stayed in so far. We have stayed in alot from NC to SC and this had the cleanest rooms, with a refreshing smell when you came in. The staff was great and the breakfast was great also. Very pleased with the whole experience!!! I would recommend to stay there.

outer banks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here twice while my son was getting chemo from duke. Comfortable rooms, hotel staff very helpful, and breakfast was satisfying. They provide transportation 24/7 to the hospital which was a major plus since some nights I didn't get in until after midnight. There is a nice mall across the street.

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly. We ended up in an accessible room, and it was spacious. The whole facility was very clean, and breakfast was a nice free addition. The halls were a little noisy at night, but I blame the other guests.

Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here overnight while in Durham. Check in was prompt & courteous. When I asked the desk staff for directions to a facility on the Duke University Campus, they went online & found directions for me even though they personally did not know where the facility was. The room measured up to the usual high Hampton Inn standards. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The breakfast selection was very good; the staff person in charge kept it well stocked. There was ample seating for everyone in the area. Check out was efficient also. There was free Wifi but I was not there long enough to use it. There is also a pool and an exercise room; however, since my stay was so short, I did not have the chance to check these out, so I cannot comment on them. Based on my (less than 24 hours) short stay, I would not hesistate to stay in this Hampton Inn again.

Saint Charles, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was curious to see what was so special about this place that it had received 5 circles on tripadvisor. It was very nice, clean big rooms, nice modern bathrooms. The desk was very helpful and kind. I didn't get a chance to try the breakfast since we left at 4am to try to avoid Sandy but they gave us a 'to go' breakfast bag.
The hotel was a high rise at the intersection of several busy roads, highways. Ample and safe parking. It is close to Duke but not walking distance. There was a large mall just across the street with a movie theatre and a spa and soul food buffet.
A nice place to stay on your way to somewhere else. Certainly not a destination in itself but I would stay here again if I was visiting the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85? Share your experiences!