“Great value is you have business in the research triangle” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4912 South Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #44 of 67 hotels in Durham
Portage, Michigan
“Great value is you have business in the research triangle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed for a week at this property during a training class at ISA located in the research triangle. Very good service and clean comfortable rooms. Most notable is that they provide a free shuttle within 5 miles of the property and from the airport. If the shuttle is unavailable, they provide a complimentary taxi. This allowed me to stay and not rent vehicle for the entire stay (Saved $250) for the week. Even though its free, make sure to tip the drivers ($2 seemed very appropriate and welcome).

The hotel is clean and fresh. The lobby was very pleasing but the rooms were nothing special. Typical minimum holiday inn express required standard décor. There is a train track along the rear side of the hotel, but the trains are very infrequent (1-2 per day) and not any louder than the air conditioning. I think a room on the back is better than on front along the street if noise is a consideration.

The room had minimum shampoo and conditioner. But no lotion. It did have a mini fridge and a microwave. Towels were a bit stiff and rough, not the typical soft towel found at a holiday inn express.

The service is excellent and friendly. All my requests were met with a welcome tone. The morning breakfast cook/server was very friendly, and even refilled my coffee. I wish however the eggs were better, I know they all are supplied but some cooks are better at preparing them than others. They have fresh cookies in the lobby every afternoon. I love that touch. They have a manager reception (beer and wine) Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon in the lobby great room. It seemed well attended (~20 people).

Instead of riding the free hotel shuttle at the end of the day I walk back from class. It was about a 5 mile walk, and the weather in the area is very nice in October. The research triangle has many nice walking paths set back from the roads. However the area right around the hotel is not set up well for walking. There is no sidewalk on the side of the street where the hotel is located. One must cross a 4 lane road to get to the sidewalk at the hotel complex on the opposite side of the road. There is a island on the road, so it’s generally safe to cross, but no traffic signal light is available.

There are not many restaurants in the area, but the shuttle will take you to some just a couple miles away if you like. There is a nice middle eastern café just ¾ mile down the road, and an excellent modern Mexican restaurant “MEZ” just a mile away. I ordered in twice from the Italian restaurant. The filet ravioli is excellent. Expect about an hour for delivery to the room door.

Room Tip: Dispite the train tracks back side will be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay here. The hotel staff was nice, the eggs were a little salty for the breakfast bar. The room was nice but had a weird lay out. The flat-screen TV was far off in the corner, while the bathroom was in front of the the two beds. We got a great rate! and we were able to check in before check in time at no additional cost. If I travel back this way again, will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
n/a
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel is located in good spot if you're visiting RTP. The facility seems pretty standard for a Holiday Inn Express.... not the newest facility, but was clean with a good breakfast.... no signs of bedbugs or other critters in my second-floor room (I check this at EVERY hotel now-a-days). I had plenty of hot water.

Just a note to visitors... people around here drive crazy fast. Be careful out there.

Room Tip: How can I say this.... Try to avoid a room close to those with an ethnic background that does not pr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Little Rock, AR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here recently while in town for a conference in RTP. This hotel is conveniently located right off of the freeway, and is convenient for commuting to locations within RTP. The staff was friendly as well.

Upon arrival I was given the keys to a smoking room despite the fact that I had a confirmed reservation for a non-smoking room. Upon calling down to the front desk, I was told that no non-smoking rooms were available with the exception of a handicap-accessible room with a zero-entry shower instead of a normal tub/shower combo. As someone who finds cigarette smoke to be extremely irritating, I had no choice but to accept the alternate room. The next morning, I stepped into the shower to discover that the hot water in my shower did not function. The sink had hot water, but not the shower. This was fixed by the hotel staff once I notified them, but these experiences make me question the management of this property.

As has been noted by other travelers, the free breakfast was one of the most disappointing that I have encountered.

I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Arkansas_Dad,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding our friendly staff.

However, We’re sorry about the room assignment and for the lack of hot water in the shower. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Friendly staff, clean rooms, only problem I had was during the end of my one week stay there was no hot water in the showers, it was freezing! I spoke to one of the workers there who said there was somebody coming to fix it but it was still cold the next couple days so I don't know what happened there! Good standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast, and close to Walmart and take away restaurants, post office etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

Room very clean. Great location for airport and access to Durham and Chapel Hill.
Trouble with AC on two nights. Asked to be moved away from elevator and switched to one beside it though noise was never a problem.
Hotel staff pleasant.

• Stayed April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Dear Travelingconnection,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care
Winston-Salem, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

One of the worst breakfasts ever - better to have bagels juice and coffee. Egg thing was nasty and sausage had hard pieces in it - scary. and warm breakfast rolls looked good but were obviously from a package - oh well.
Hotel was just ok for the price - many others around are better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park? Share your experiences!