“Recommended, nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Pasco, Washington
“Recommended, nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

the RTP Marriott is a nice hotel close to both Raleigh and Durham. The location isn't the greatest; there's nothing really close enough to walk; so transportation is a must.

the hotel has a nice pool, hot tub and decent gym. Haven't eaten there so can't comment on restaurant. the bar is nice and has a great staff; I'll comment that I find the pours a little short for my taste.

rooms are standard Marriott; all the amenities you'd expect.

hotel has internet for a fee (below par for throughput and speed) and free parking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
scrutineer44,

Thank you for your comments. We have a great location just off route 40 and close to 540. It is a great central location to visit UNC, Duke or downtown Raleigh. We offer a complimentary shuttle service within a three mile radius of the hotel, which is close to many restaurants and shops. Our fitness center was remodeled this year and has state of the art equipment. I am sorry you were not a fan of our pours. We follow the Marriott guidelines for bar service. We offer free internet good for basic things like checkling email and offer higher speeds for an additional charge. We have 50 MB capacity throughout the hotel. We have a clean hotel with excellent service. We look forard to your next visit.

Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott at Research Triangle for a family reunion during the Labor Day weekend. It was a great experience. From the outside, the building looks old, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The interior of the building is spotless. From the lobby to the rooms. We had a standard room with a refrigerator. There is no microwave, but it wasn't needed for an overnight stay. The bedding was clean and the bathrooms were clean. The lobby area is spacious and had a bar area. You can sit and watch television or enjoy the company of others. The indoor swimming pool area is clean with no soot floating around the water. The hot tub was wonderful and it was also clean. We one of their banquet halls and it was comfortable and the service was great. The food was tasty...nothing over-the-top delicious, but it was a decent meal. The only thing I would complain about is that there are no trash cans or other trash receptacles in the lobby area or outside of the building. I understand that this is done in order to have the staff remove the trash for you but it is an inconvenience when you want to throw away a tissue or a handful of trash. Some trash you just don't want to hand over to someone's bare hand for them to throw away for you because it's nasty. Overall, I was pleased with our stay. The price was outstanding. You don't find nice, well-kept hotels for a price under $100/night. I will definitely go back to this hotel whenever I'm visiting the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tflipp,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay. We feel we have the cleaniest and friendliest hotel in town. Our overall guest satisfaction scores are in the top 25% compared to all other Marriott hotels in the United States. You are correct about the trash cans. We feel the trash cans take away from the overall feeling of cleanliness around the hotel and are happy to assist our guests with their trash. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

we started and ended our North Carolina trip at this property. we chose it because it was in the middle of Raleigh, Durham and chapel hill; all places we wished to visit. Wish I had chosen the Durham Marriott, so we could walk to restaurants. The cities are all very close together. As it was Marriott offers a shuttle to area restaurants which worked out fine, but nothing like walking. Same Marriott standards-very comfy beds and welcoming staff. Inside pool was fine as was hot tub. The lounge for gold/plat. members had a good variety of items for our last night as we were leaving too early in the morning to go out anywhere, for our comfort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your feedback. We are conveniently located in close proximity to several local attractions, universities, etc. We are also conveniently located just minutes from the airport. Our shuttle does operate in a three mile radius of the hotel to include many restaurants and the airport. Our service is the best in the area. We are in the top 25% of all Marriott hotels in the United States for overall guest satisfaction. We look forward to your next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

The people at the Marriott in Research Triangle provided my absolutely best stay ever for a family reunion. For once, I have thoroughly enjoyed the food, the results of great personal room service and cleaning, reading on the marvelous, wrap-around patio, a perfect poolside, work-out room and simply outstanding desk service. Every worker I encountered was genuinely warm, helpful and courteous. I will not forget my stay at this very warm and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We feel we have the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was feeling pretty good about this full service hotel until I ate dinner in the restaurant. It was abysmal. With a room full of empty tables, I waited at least five minutes for someone to come out of the back and seat me. I should have had enough sense to leave then. The food was average hotel fare, at best, and the service was pretty rough. I left most of the food on my plate.

Any other options for eating require a car, although there are several places within a short drive. There was a small refrigerator in my room, so I could stock up on some supplies from the Walmart Market (south on S. Miami Blvd.)

The front desk staff was very pleasant, although they didn't seem particularly knowledgeable about the local area (like Umstead State Park right down I-40, for example). The hotel in general seems relatively new or renovated, with a nice lobby area and sleeping rooms. My room was comfortable enough, with a huge flat screen TV, a king size bed, an armchair, and desk area. I struggled to find the right balance on the air conditioning, but nothing out of the ordinary for a hotel.

I didn't use it, but the fitness room seemed large and well equipped, with, among other things, four treadmills.

The Marriott is an ideal location for visitors to the Research Triangle Park - my commute to RTI was a whopping two miles door to door. Another option folks have recommended is the Hotel Indigo just south of I-40, also on S. Miami Blvd. Maybe I'll give that a try next time.

Not a bad place to stay as long as you plan to eat elsewhere.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the poor experience in the restaurant. This is not typical. I just finished a six month stay in the hotel and ate most of my meals at the hotel because the food is far better than your typical hotel food. We also offer a complimentary shuttle service within three miles of the hotel for those who prefer to dine out. Our fitness room is modern with lots of space and equipment with built-in TV's. We are far superior than the Hotel Indigo you referenced and are in the top 25% of all Marriott hotels in the United States for overall satisfaction. I hope you consider us in the future.

partridge, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel staff was superb; accommodating at all times. We were given printed and verbal directions when asked where a local store or restaurant was located. We've never been treated any better at any other hotel; from the maids to the manager, the hotel staff was excellent. At different times when a staff member would see me carrying a piece of luggage, they would offer to help.
My son and I were in the area on a business trip. The food was also excellent. It was a wonderful experience! I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the area. It is the best hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: I stayed at the back side of the hotel on the first floor and it was very quiet. I did not use the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear about your great experience. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding guest service and are currently in the top 25% for overall satisfaction compared to all Marriott hotels in the US. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel not only provides complimentary shuttle services to and from the airport and around the area, but when my shuttle was about 15 minutes, they went so far as to call a prepaid cab for me. Excellent customer service made my stay unforgettable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased to hear our staff went above and beyond to accomodate your needs. We always try to provide timely shuttle service and will make other arrangements for our guests should the need arise. Outstanding guest service is important to us which is why we are in the top 25% for overall guest satisfaction compared to all full service Marriott hotels in the United States. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Bill

Been to Marriott at Research Triangle Park? Share your experiences!