“Pretty nice ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pretty nice ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family in the area. The hotel was nice enough, very close to interstate. Most of the staff members we encountered were very nice and helpful. The room was adequately sized, however not as clean as I would like. It wasn't horrible; but the housekeepers could stand to put in a bit more effort. The bed was very comfortable. (VERY) Slept well. One issue we did run into was overuse of air freshener. They had automatic sprayers set up in the hallway that literally were making us choke. We had to ask management to take them down, it was such a strong smell. At the time of our visit they had smoking rooms and non-smoking rooms on the same floor, which is no big deal. (Unsure what they have set up now) I guess they put the freshener out to combat smoke smell.....I will say there was absolutely zero smoke odor or haze but the smell of those fresheners was extremely overpowering. Too much, and I didn't feel they were needed. There literally was no indication this hotel even had smoking rooms. (I'm guessing they don't have many.) There isn't much area to walk around outside and I didn't feel safe doing so at night, (I blame the area of town-not the hotel). All in all, a nice hotel.

Stayed June 2013
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear TruthInNumbers,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our Holiday Inn Express and are glad you had a good visit overall, though do apologize for the inconvenience regarding air fresheners and our team will take your comments into consideration about how we handle this in the future. Otherwise, I am glad you found our staff very accommodating and friendly and we hope to see you the next time you visit Durham. Thanks again for your feedback!

Daly Seven, Inc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Woodridge, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I booked two rooms for family that was coming into North Carolina for a wedding. The front desk staff was always very friendly, and the rooms were comfortable and clean. We had a few issues with demagnetization of room keys, but it was promptly taken care of. The free breakfast in the morning was convenient and delicious. After the wedding, the bride and groom stayed overnight too!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cathy A,

Thank you for your review and we hope you and your family enjoyed the wedding! I'm happy to read you had a clean, comfortable stay, and would like to apologize again for the issue with your room key, but am glad our staff was able to resolve it quickly. Thanks again for your comments and high ratings and we hope to see you the next time you're in town!

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

1. I booked the wrong date and the corporate and management team said they would get back to me on refunding. They never got back to me and simply took $100.
2. I get there and before I even get to the room, the room key isn't working
3. I get into the room but it is dusty and hot
4. I asked them to fix the AC and the front desk said, someone will be right up. No one ever came.
5. Breakfast options were disgusting.

DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear DBurt1987,

Thank you for reviewing your visit. We deeply apologize that your stay didn't meet your expectations and our team will discuss your feedback in order to ensure everything we provide is in working quality. In regards to your booking, cancellation policies vary, but many of our rates are easy to cancel without charge until the date of arrival when booking through our website. Please give me a call at the number below if there is anything I can do to further help in regards to our amenities or your refund. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to have another opportunity in the future to give you a great stay.

us
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

This hotel was close to the office I was in town to visit and that was the best part about the property for me. The staff is not overly accommodating but, do get the job done. I did like the fact that the front desk was right inside the door - that isn't always the case and can be confusing. The overall condition of the hotel was very good - my room was pretty clean (the grout in the corners of the bathroom needs some attention). The ice bucket was "hidden" in a cabinet so it took a moment to find. The linens were nice - large towels and comfortable sheets. I did like the fact that there was a fridge in the room also. Very limited selection for TV but, who is the room enough to care? The free Wi-Fi was great. I felt like there was a little too much furniture in the room - kept banging my shin on the coffee table. Oh, this place was VERY quiet - I am a light sleeper and never heard a sound all night. Ample parking available. Cookies and apples in the lobby :) Decent breakfast. Would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: From what I could tell all rooms would be fine - it was very quiet here!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear junemagpie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Holiday Inn Express. I'm happy you had a clean, quiet stay and appreciate your other feedback. We're glad you plan to return and look forward to your next visit! Thanks again for your comments.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The hotel is quite convenient to the highway, which makes it quite accessible. The staff there was wonderful and I must give special commendation to Dane' Williams who was able to personally decipher the mystery of my fridge. <smile> The decor of the hotel is really nice. Everything in the hotel was clean and the bed was so comfortable that I wished I had it at home; sleep came quickly, easily and soundly. <smile> I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The _05 rooms (i.e., 105, 205, 305) are just far enough from the elevator and the ice machine to be...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear cyberdiva1908,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and are glad to hear you had a great stay! Thanks so much for your kind words for our staff and I'm happy you found our location excellent for your needs. We look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Durham; thank you again for your comments!

Apex, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for ONE purpose only -- its proximity to DUKE University Medical Center. My wife underwent a very serious and prolonged brain operation for the removal of a large tumor. While I live only 30 miles/30 minutes from the hospital I wanted to be close enough so I could get to the hospital very quickly by using a motel shuttle service and thus avoid any hassles with parking.

This dump was a complete letdown. When I checked in the dolt who took care of me was less than accommodating.

The next morning the girl at the front desk told me to call the hotel when I needed a pick up to return back to the hotel. The Holiday Inn shuttle brought my wife and me to the entrance of the hospital. About 6:00 PM I called the hotel for a pick up and the woman told me the driver would be there in 10 - 15 minutes. Long story short it took 45 minutes and 3 phone calls to learn that the HIE shuttle stops at 3:30 and I had to look for a burgundy taxi. I had absolutely no idea that should look for a taxi.

As I sat outside the hospital waiting for the shuttle that never came I got a call and it was from the taxi driver who was waiting in front of the hospital apparently the whole time. When I made call number one or two the hotel the person told me that the driver was running late because he had to make a lot of pick ups. As he was driving a taxi and not the shuttle he had NO pick ups to make.

The next night I called the HIE for a pick up at the end of the day and the HIE phones DIDN'T WORK!! I have traveled to more than 60 countries and have never ever had this happen. NEVER!!

I called the HIE 800 number and they were as useless as HIE Durham.

I had to get a taxi and pay for it myself.

My last morning I noticed a long blondish hair on the wall of the shower. And, I don't have long blondish hair. Sad to say every last hair on my head is silver.

I must add that I reserved a Handicapped Room but didn't get one.

The only -- but most important -- good news is my wife came through the operation without a problem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear RiverSt,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review and share all of your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear everything went well with your wife's operation, but deeply apologize for all of the miscommunication and inconvenience regarding your transportation to and from the hospital, and our team will discuss your feedback promptly in order to avoid similar mistakes in the future. Please give me a call at the number below if you would like to discuss further and I would be happy to speak with you. Again, we're very sorry your visit fell below your expectations and hope to have another opportunity in the future to give you a great stay.

Lenoir, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for a friends wedding and, I swear, it was like sleeping on a table with a sheet thrown over it. Not only that, but the bath tub was dirty. We didn't want to complain while we were there because my friend's parents paid for our room and we didn't want to seem ungrateful to them but, we mentioned our issues to the lady at the checkout and she got very mad and was very unprofessional!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear mackncsu,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Holiday Inn Express - we're deeply sorry that your stay fell short of your expectations and that our desk staff did not act in an appropriate manner when you complained. Please give me a call at the number below and I would be happy to speak with you to help make this right. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have another opportunity in the future to give you a great stay.