“Well maintained - very nice - very convenient to I-85” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 67 hotels in Durham
Atlanta, Georgia
“Well maintained - very nice - very convenient to I-85”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here twice in the same month. The first stay was on a trip Northbound and the second stay was on our return toward home. Everything was very nice on both stays. We decided to stay here because the quality of the hotel we stayed at on previous trips had gone downhill.

Nice things we experienced were active maintenance to keep the hotel quality up, a manager walking around at breakfaxt to make sure things were being done correctly and a friendly and helpful front desk staff..

Our room with a king-size bed was slightly smaller than we would have liked, but adequate for the two of us for our overnight stay. Breakfast was the typical Holiday Inn Expresss buffet which fully met our needs. The hotel is very close to I-85 and we heard some highway noise on our first stay, but our room was quiet on our second stay. The price was reasonable for the quality of the hotel.

Based on our two experiences here we definitely will stay here again on our next trip through the area. The location is especially good for anyone traveling through Durham on I-85 and wanting close access to the Interstate highway.

Room Tip: For the most quiet room ask for a room facing the street and not the interstate, and ask for a room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We've stayed at this Holiday Inn perhaps 25 times in the past 9 years. We have always had a positive experience. My husband has received medical treatment at Duke (we live in WA state) and we've always been treated with kind professionalism. The folks who work there will absolutely go out of their way to ensure you have a pleasant stay. An added bonus is good wifi, a fridge and microwave in every room. Sure, it's not perfect, but...it's always clean, secure, and welcoming. We love it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I CHECKED IN TO THE Holiday Inn Express on August 8 and checked out on Agust 12. I was in town attending a massage seminar for relicensure. I arrived on the 8'th at about 3;45 stated check in time was 3:00. Check in went smoothly and lady at the desk was polite and friendly. I was assigned room 305. Upon arriving at 305 however I was informed that it was not yet clean. However the house keeper immediately stopped what she was doing called the front desk for me and got me a cleanroom room 323 and helped me carry my luggage down to that room and unlocked the door for me she also said the front desk will bring an exchange key up to me and I did not need to make an extra trip downstairs the key was delivered within 5 minutes. I was impressed. Its not that problems occur but how they are resonded to that distinguishes good customer service from poor. KUDOS Holiday Inn Express. Arriving at room 323 i found a clean room with a comfy king sized bed an in room refrigerator flat screen tv and a clean bathroom with a shower big enough for 2 (FYI). The sheets for the bed were clean and soft however the towels were a little scrathy. I also noted that the bathroom contained no anti-condensation fan. This slowed me down in the morning because it took longer the mirror to de-fog so I could apply my makeup. i can only assume that this could be a problem for men shaving their faces. I and other guests also commented that the elevator was very very slow. Breakfast was a mixed bag. In some ways good in other ways not so much. The good things were the variety of breads provided, good choice of cereals, the providing of fat free milk for the cereal. Now the things that could use improvement were the hot foods espeicially the eggs this was a part of the breakfat that i was really counting on because I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian and I was going to an all day massage class. Massage is very hard physical work and it burns alot of calories. Its really important to have protein before you get started. The eggs did not taste like real eggs at all they had a funny grainy texture like they were powdered and them swimming in butter (YUCK!!!) These werethe scrambled variety. The next morning there was this omelt???? thing with either butter/ or maybe cheese on the inside. i scrabbed off day butter? cheese? whatever and used a napkin to absorb some of the oil. this was better than the ist morning. One other thing that puzzled me was that my in room fridge had no freezer i have never seen this before. i also had a bit of an issue with the area I would have prefered to be in walking distance of some neat restaurants and stores. The only restaurant nearby was Hog Heaven which would not work for me for obvious reasons. Like I said overall pretty good but could use some improvements. If I return to Durham I will probably choose another hotel mostly for location but this is really not holiday inn express.s fault..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I am surprised to read the trip advisor reviews for this hotel that wants to berate this property for the guest own errors. I have never NOT been given a parking ticket and lets face it when you call the hotel they even say that there is parking for one car on property. My room was very comfortable and I found the staff very nice and helpful. My two favorite things about this hotel, the cinnimon rolls and the beds!!! Both were great. This staff is very helpful and made me feel very welcome, I will be back....

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room, that way there is no one above you!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Milton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Conveniently located off I85 but not in the best of areas but okay, Rooms are typical Holiday Inn Express and were comfortable and roomy. Had one handicapped room in our reservation and was very surprised when it was at the very end of the hallway. Breakfast was good. Staff was pleasant and nice.
Overall everything the stay was fine and well worth the price. The only problem we had was that when we got out our food that we had in the hotel in our car, the bag was full of ants. Since the ants were only in that bag and nowhere else and the bag had been on the table in the room, the ants had to come from the room. Once we disposed of the bag, no problem in the car. Glad we didn't know until we left.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

The hotel is located immediately off an I-85 exit in Durham, NC near Duke University. There is also a full-service mall only a few minutes away.

We were in town for Duke's graduation ceremonies. Our room was very comfortable with one queen bed, a small fridge, microwave, desk and chair. We had a handicap accessible room on the third floor next to an exit. The delicious free breakfast each morning included many hot and cold items. The staff was quite attentive and pleasant. Parking was free and convenient. The business center had two computers with Internet access and printing. There was no charge for using the services.

It is important to note that room rates during graduation weekend are more than double the regular price! The hotel was at capacity. Since the prices were so high, the hotel provided extras like free snacks (chips, microwave popcorn, crackers, candy bars, fruit) in abundance around the clock in the lobby. We appreciated that effort. We were quite pleased with our stay, even with the high rate.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

With so many wifi devices overloading so many hotels, it is nice to come upon a place that can handle it. Holiday Inn Express on Guess in Durham is located near Duke but not walking distance. I was working in Durham and Raleigh so found the freeway access very helpful. The hotel is not the most up to date but still comfortable and clean. The staff is cheerful and nice. The classic Express is well-appointed and the eating area is large. There is no workout facility onsite but you do get access to a fine gym nearby (maybe one exit away). And the wifi works great!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Durham? Share your experiences!