“Nice Overnight Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 67 hotels in Durham
Milton, Georgia
“Nice Overnight Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Conveniently located off I85 but not in the best of areas but okay, Rooms are typical Holiday Inn Express and were comfortable and roomy. Had one handicapped room in our reservation and was very surprised when it was at the very end of the hallway. Breakfast was good. Staff was pleasant and nice.
Overall everything the stay was fine and well worth the price. The only problem we had was that when we got out our food that we had in the hotel in our car, the bag was full of ants. Since the ants were only in that bag and nowhere else and the bag had been on the table in the room, the ants had to come from the room. Once we disposed of the bag, no problem in the car. Glad we didn't know until we left.

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

The hotel is located immediately off an I-85 exit in Durham, NC near Duke University. There is also a full-service mall only a few minutes away.

We were in town for Duke's graduation ceremonies. Our room was very comfortable with one queen bed, a small fridge, microwave, desk and chair. We had a handicap accessible room on the third floor next to an exit. The delicious free breakfast each morning included many hot and cold items. The staff was quite attentive and pleasant. Parking was free and convenient. The business center had two computers with Internet access and printing. There was no charge for using the services.

It is important to note that room rates during graduation weekend are more than double the regular price! The hotel was at capacity. Since the prices were so high, the hotel provided extras like free snacks (chips, microwave popcorn, crackers, candy bars, fruit) in abundance around the clock in the lobby. We appreciated that effort. We were quite pleased with our stay, even with the high rate.

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

With so many wifi devices overloading so many hotels, it is nice to come upon a place that can handle it. Holiday Inn Express on Guess in Durham is located near Duke but not walking distance. I was working in Durham and Raleigh so found the freeway access very helpful. The hotel is not the most up to date but still comfortable and clean. The staff is cheerful and nice. The classic Express is well-appointed and the eating area is large. There is no workout facility onsite but you do get access to a fine gym nearby (maybe one exit away). And the wifi works great!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Located near I-85 in Durham, NC, the Holiday Inn Express offers easy access and excellent location in Durham. My family stayed during graduation weekend at Duke and was not disappointed by the hotel. Our room was extremely comfortable with queen beds, a small fridge, desk, an easy chair, and a table. The bathroom, while well-appointed and stocked with soaps and shampoos, seemed somewhat small, but it was fuctional. My family especially liked the "great room" with its comfortable chairs and work areas. There is a modest business center with PCs and a functioning printer. The hotel also provides free WiFi through the building.

In the morning, the hotel offers an excellent breakfast with a selection of warm food, cereals, fruits, breads, warm cinnamon rolls, yogurt, and fruits. Oh yes, the coffee was freshly brewed and excellent. The breakfast staff was very courteous and helpful. Definitely a plus.

We also found the lobby desk staff very helpful. They suggested restaurants and provided directions to the campus area. This personalized touch was impressive. I will definitely stay here next year. It was a great location for the family and provided a relaxing environments.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

If you need to visit Duke University, I highly recommend staying at Holiday Inn Express on Guess Rd. Easy 6 minute drive to campus, great location near restaurants and shopping. Staff VERY friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Quieter on non freeway side, but it was not an issue for me.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights- excellent location - right off highway. This property is older- and it shows. Bathrooms are TINY. and they have tried to modernize them, but they are TINY! The staff are great- friendly, helpful, always available. The express b-fast is very basic- same menu as other H I Express hotels. There are 4 or 5 other properties across the street-- next time I will try one of them.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear goodwintom,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are glad you liked the location of our hotel as well as our friendly staff. We are deeply sorry you found your room accommodations less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I rented at this hotel because I was going to the Pink Martini concert at DPAC, and this was nearby (about ten minutes or so) and within decent price. I don't have any real complaints! The front desk service was polite, even knowledgeable - after checking in I asked for a place nearby to get a quick dinner, and they were able to point me to a few places in the area. My room was neat and clean, and just what I would expect for a hotel room. Something worth mentioning: I rented a smoking room so I could enjoy my pipe, and the ash trays were clean and there were no cigarette butt stains any where. Overall my stay in the room was perfectly fine.

Some might complain about the location. Yes, it's near a highway, although I didn't have too much problem with that myself. The only thing I kind of noticed was the area around it was a wee bit sketchy. I didn't fear for my life or the contents of my car, but driving along Guess Road leads you into a mixture of nice neighborhoods and not so nice neighborhoods. But like I said, I didn't fear for my life in the parking lot (and I came back from the concert around 10:30 PM or so), and they actually lock the doors to the front lobby after a certain time, and you either have to be rung in or you can use your card key.

Overall, I had no real complaints, and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Durham? Share your experiences!