“No way, you gotta pay extra?” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Vernon Hill, Virginia
“No way, you gotta pay extra?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Went to Bull City Burger last night w family.....big mistake! Fries extra??? Our green burger was pricey and then having to order fries extra was just wrong! Food was skimpy and really not the best. Ordered fried pickles and you get half a very small bowl for $3.00. Still recovering from dinner the next morning, food made us all sick! We enjoyed the organic milk, that was a plus. I will say the place was clean including the bathrooms. Staff was very nice and helpful, but we will never return. Also, they are proud of their beer, a little to proud if you check out the prices.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Want a burger...come here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Get here early in the evening....like before 6. There will be a line. There is a reason for that...the burger is fantastic. This was one of the most tender burgers I have had. It was very well seasoned and the toasted bun gave additional effect. I got mine with pimento cheese, enjoyed it thoroughly. The sweet potato fries were pretty good...but you're coming for a burger anyway.

My wife said the duck frites were good and enjoyed her burger as well. Also, seating is at a slight premium, unless you don't mind getting to know some new people while you're there...or willing to sit at the bar.

I didn't try the beer this time, but probably will in the future. Combined with the social responsibility theme, I will be coming here for my burgers in the future.

Durham, North Carolina
“great for groups! delicious, normal-sized burger with fries, pickled things, and good booze”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Intro:
Visited Bull City Burger for dinner last Saturday night. A staple of delicious american fare in Durham, BCBB did not disappoint. Expensive for a Durham burger? Perhaps, but having just moved to town a week ago, it felt normal to me.

Product:
For what I was sure would be many, many visits, I wanted to start off with the classic. I tried the basic burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles, with beer mustard and mayo on the side. Basic toppings and condiments are free, but more inventive toppings (cheese, mushrooms, deliciousness) have an up-charge. You have three cooking options- red, pink, well-done. I went with pink. The burger was truly wonderful with a buttery soft bun. Portions were reasonable, rather than gargantuan. I also tried a dish of the "pickled stuff" (was particularly interested in the pickled pineapple)- it was good but a bit overpriced for what you got. My companions shared their sweet potato fries, which were good but not terribly memorable. They have a sugar coating and a great flavor, but I found them to be a bit limp. Next time I intend to try the duck fat fries, which are highly reviewed. Nice touch to have gluten free buns and a few options other than burgers (grilled cheese, etc). The Boylan's soda fountain was popular, as well as the full bar (try a beer flight!)

Experience/Service:
The place was relatively crowded, but we were able to find a seat at one of the communal table and benches in the main dining area (there are smaller group tables as well). The service was truly above and beyond- after you order at the register, you are given a number to place at your table, to which they deliver your meal. When your food is ready, they explain everything you got, offer to grab silverware/napkins/salt/pepper/whatever, and are so warm and friendly you can't help but smile. I almost thought they were joking they were so kind. There's a cute outdoor patio area as well, if beer-hall styling is not your thing.

I'm doing the brewery tour this Saturday at 4pm, and plan on bringing two canned goods to get my free dirty fries...did I mention BCBB is a wonderful community partner, that they use sustainable principles, that their beef is pasture raised, that they're totally awesome? I'll update my review when I've tried more of the brews.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Coral Springs, Florida
“Bacon marmalade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Okay full disclosure, I am friends with the owners sister. But, Bull City Burger is truly a great burger place. Most know, everything served here is made in house, excluding the ketchup. The burger are grass feed beef and you can taste the difference. The bacon marmalade is unreal, the in-house bacon makes this topping a must do. The home grown jalapeños are crisp and hot. The beer of course is outstanding, some of the best I've had. The thin, crisp fries cooked and duck fat seasoned with fresh time from their outback garden are super. I don't care for open long table community seating but if you early you can sit at the bar. Outside seating is on benches. My burger was cooked to a very pink, just above raw, topped with slow roasted garlic, gruyere and bacon marmalade. It was one of the best burgers I've had, not saying the best but in the top five. Can't wait to get back here.

Malaga, Spain
“Great burgers, everything homemade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We don't eat meat often, but made an exception to get a rare burger, all local ingredients, topped the way you like it. Very casual suitable for families/kids, great fries and lots of homemade beers to try.

Go off hours to avoid the lines.

• Visited August 2013