“Very good authentic German food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
St. Louis, MO
“Very good authentic German food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My family is from Wiesbaden and I still cook some our traditional Deutsch dishes when I have the extra time.It is impossible to find the good authentic recipes like my grandmother handed down to me, but when you find a place that comes darn near close, that is a gem! First, yes it is old world style in the decor, but it is supposed to resemble a German Biergarten for crying out loud. I personally loved the decor. It reminded me of my Dad's Ratskeller! The beer selection is out of sight, the liquors, etc. The Brats are al; handcrafted with a variety of flavors, from the typical Kasse, to Spinach to Garlic. I ordered the Saurbraten (complete dinner for $17.99 so not sure why someone complained about the price and they have a small portion for $8.99) and it was darn close to my recipe that marinates for 4 days before cooking. The spatzel was inded griddled but not sure what they are talking about in other reviews about heavy breading and deep fried. It was NOT like that at all. It has a delicious herb dusting too. The gravy was very good on my Sauerbraten, good mix of sour with beef. The red cabbage was not as sweet as what you get in the can, but this is all I have had, so I bet this is the authentic flavor anyhow. I am anxious to try the potatoe pancakes and the brats on my next visit. I wish this place was open in the afternoon too because the folks across from me ordered some pretzel bread and I would love to try a pretzel bread sandwich for lunch. For dessert I had the peach cheesecake cake. Smooth, warm and delicious.
Our waitress was new but she was very nice and very attentive so I cannot say anything negative about the service at all. There were 4 other tables around me with patrons and they all were saying to one another how good the food was.
I will definitely be back and I wish the people that gave this a poor rating would try it again or perhaps realize they might just not like this type of cuisine. I happen to!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
“EXCELLENT food! Will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have never tried German food before going to this restaurant, and it was FANTASTIC!! I wasn't sure what to expect, especially since a lot of reviewers only gave this restaurant about 3/5 stars. I went for lunch and you get a ton of food for a very reasonable price. The waiter was super friendly and knowledgeable about the dishes. The building is festive and decked out German style, with some cheerful German music playing.

the FOOD:
First, they bring out this light, flakey bread with house-made honey butter. It's the perfect combination of sweet and salty, unlike any butter I've had before. Then they bring you a tomato salad - it was delicious! And for the main course I got the matter-something schnitzel. It was a lightly breaded piece of chicken and just a little bit buttery (or oily?) which gave it a great texture, topped with melted cheese, onions, and mushrooms. It came with spatzel, which is kind of like pasta but a little bit doughier. Didn't have room for desert, but did end up with enough left-overs for dinner that night. Everything was savory and wonderfully seasoned. Would definitely come here again! :)

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mount Holly, North Carolina
“Not crowded for a reason?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Like some other reviewers, my wife and I frequented the Cary location until it shut down much to our dismay. The other night we tried the Durham location with great anticipation. Alas like some reviewers before us, we came away a bit miffed. The atmosphere could be great, but the lack of energy in that atmosphere made it seem a bit morbid. The music was very traditional, which for our grandparents might have been okay, but for us seemed unenthused. The musicians tried hard but lacked real energy that is in German restaurants in other cities we have visited. The music was real, but played a bit slow.
The beer selection was quite impressive and perhaps that was the best part. Our food was not terrible, but it was not the best we have ever had. It was not near the experience we enjoyed in Cary.
Rather than scrap the restaurant, we suggest that it needs a shot of energy. Update the band to play with some energy to encourage group sing alongs. Maintain the quality of the food and add a little enthusiasm to the wait staff. This place needs a shot in the arm. The inside is fine and the collection of German Steins is impressive. Hurry though, because empty on Friday night does not bode well for the future.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pinehurst, North Carolina
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We traveled to Durham just to eat here and left very disappointed. The schnitzel was terrible and coated so thickly in breading that it was hard to tell that there was any meat in the dish. The gravy was just a packet of brown gravy mix with what tasted like canned mushrooms. The spatezle appeared to have been deep fried and bland. After visiting Germany, and wanting to experience some more German food this was a HUGE disappointment! The only saving grace was the German draft beer. We will definitely not return.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cary, North Carolina
“Once a favorite not anymore!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Used to frequent their Cary location, but when that shut down, my husband and I were pleased to find them located in Durham. We went a couple of times in 2012, but noticed that it was never crowded and the wait staff was always changing. Nevertheless, the food was pretty consistant. However, we went last night, and it was extremely disappointing. Could not get over the sewage smell that came and went. The service was terrible and when the food finally came, my brat was cold inside and tasteless. On top of it, the sauerkraut tasted like dishwater! How can you mess up sauerkraut? Gosh, I would have taken the stuff that comes out of the can. They used to have homemade rolls to die for. Not anymore. Now it is cut up brat rolls. Sad. I am done here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere