“Nice large rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Nice large rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed here for two separate work weeks and the rooms were quiet, clean, and comfortable. They were also very large and the separate work space from sleep space was nice for a week long work trip. The breakfast Buffett usually was out of eggs by the time I got there at 7:40 and it took a bit to restock. Other than that the coffee and other items were tasty. It would be nice to have coffee either all day or in the early afternoon. The snacks for purchase were expensive. The pool and whirlpool area was clean and not crowded.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Hello Jessica B,

I would first like to thank you for the kind review and the many positive comments. I do apologize that the eggs were not replenished as quickly as they should have been. That should not have happened. As for the coffee, it does indeed end at the conclusion of breakfast. That was done because afternoon coffee was not in high demand and often was not fresh or hot by the time it was consumed. With that said, we can often make a fresh pot when one of our gets ask for it. I do hope you will come back to see us. If you do, I promise you a fresh pot of afternoon coffee. Thank You Jessica B.

Ted Franzese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Husband and I stayed here for one night on July 25. The service was outstanding! Neisha checked us in and Purnell checked us out both were the utmost professional! Kenyetta helped with our check in nod made it smooth! Beautifully landscaped, rooms were extraordinary and spacious and plush, lounge areas quite lovely contemporary "Art Deco-ish" we will definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2014
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hello Kelly and Harry,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to submit a review. Unfortunately, the property you stayed at was not ours. I have shared your comments with Kenyetta, the General Manager of that property in Cary, as they are a sister property of ours with the same ownership group. I again thank you and hope you will return either to our property, the SpringHill Suites Durham/Chapel Hill or our new hotel, the SpringHill Suites in Cary.

SpringHill Suites Durham/Chapel Hill
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My family - two teenagers, husband, and I - traveled from Indiana to Chapel Hill to visit UNC. We arrived late because we flew into Charlotte and had to drive over, so we didn't get to spend a lot of time at the hotel.

The room was a nice size - Springhills are great for a family of four - no need to get a second room. We loved how there was a separate toilet and sink area and a sink and shower area. This makes getting ready in the morning much easier with a family.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We didn't hear any noise from the other rooms or hallways, so this is always a plus.

The breakfast area is a little small if there are a lot of people at the hotel. There was a nice selection of breads and baked goods, some eggs, sausage, fruit, oatmeal, and yogurt. There was enough to get us started for the day.

I will definitely stay in the future if we return to campus. The only odd thing is the parking situation - there is not a lot of parking in the front or sides near to the building. The hotel is built into a shopping/professional area, so we had to park near to some shops because we arrived late. There is a Five Guys, Moe's, and other options for easy to get to food options.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello disney lunatic,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review. I greatly appreciate your kind remarks and was happy to see that you would stay with us again. I found your remarks about the parking to be very fair. Because we share the center with many other businesses, late arrivals often do have to park a little further away and for that I do apologize. I hope you will come see us again soon. Thank You!!

Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a virtually brand new property in a rather odd location. The front is perpendicular to a strip mall and parking is rather ... different ... than at most hotels. The property is quite new, and that has its own charm, with attractive colors and interesting, contemporary decor.

Overall we enjoyed this hotel, and our room. The toilet and shower areas are separate, with the shower having a nice sized sink area and the toilet having a cute little 2nd sink, sufficient for washing your hands. The living area has a large TB and a nice seating area and the bed was very comfortable.

The weekend that we were there, the hotel apparently had a high school team of some type in-house. We waited about 20 minutes before there was a cart available for us to unload our luggage. It appeared that they only had 2 carts for the entire hotel. Their was a patio area, normally open to guests, but this weekend totally overrun by this private group. When we came down for breakfast the next morning, the one line for breakfast was backed up all the way around the eating area. We had chosen to stay here in part for their included breakfast, but once we saw the line we decided to eat elsewhere.

This is a nice property, and will probably have a nice future, but if they want to continue to grow in popularity they will need to make sure that when they book large groups it is not at the expense of their regular Marriott customers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Lifes a Banquet,

Thank You for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review. I found your comments to be very fair. You are right in saying that the guests who are not with the group need to be well taken care of and that they should not be inconvenienced by the large group. I apologize that we did not take better care of you during your stay. I hope that if you return to our area you will call me personally when making your reservation as I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and our staff. Thank You!!

Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Smells brand new. Excellent location good breakfast nice pool free internet an tv on lobby.... was nice feeling the best at Cary... we were the first guests in our brand new room so the tv wasnt working well but got fixed right away... we overstayed the check out time and no problem with that. Excelent service

• Stayed July 2014
Hello Alex J,

Thank you for your kind response and for taking the time to submit a review. Unfortunately, the property you stayed at was not ours. I have spoken to the General Manager there and let her know the contents of your review as they are a sister property of ours with the same ownership group. I hope we see you again, whether you're in Cary or at our property, the SpringHill Suites Durham/Chapel Hill.

Pennington, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel during June 2014. The rooms were clean and the staff very friendly. It was also close to many restaurants. We had an appointment at Duke University, and were pleased to find that it was only about 7 minutes away. The free breakfast was good. I was sad to find out that they only bring out the waffle and pancake machine on the weekends and very rarely during the week. If it was there all of the time I would have given 5 stars.

Room Tip: During our stay, we visited the "wet & wild" water park in Greensboro, which was great...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I especially appreciated the comments regarding our clean rooms and very friendly staff. As for the weekday pancakes and waffles, they are not part of the breakfast program that SpringHill Suites as a brand has set up. Perhaps that will change in the future, but for now the brand does not recommend it.

I would also like to thank you for your business and hope that you will stay with us again should you return to our area.

Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The hotel uses bleach (kudos) in the laundry, supplies very comfy bedding, glad to have a workout room. Lots of fresh fruit at breakfast for these fussy eaters. Would have liked to give more stars. However, placing the bathroom behind glazed sliding glass at the foot of the bed...very weird and offers no privacy. I would stay here again in future only if traveling alone. But that is personal preference. Super convenient location. Friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello JackBlack1952,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit your review. I also thank you for the many kind comments throughout your review. They are most appreciated. As for the bathroom door, I completely understand your feelings. Most guests love our room design, however there are many others like yourself who would perhaps prefer a more traditional design, particularly the bathroom area. I assure you your comments are read by our Senior Management staff and Ownership group and are taken very seriously. I again thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you again, even if it's just when you are traveling alone.

Ted Franzese
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP
Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85
Hilton Garden Inn Durham/University Medical Center
Fairfield Inn & Suites Durham / Southpoint
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area

Been to SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill? Share your experiences!