“Nice hotel, good location!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Lake Orion, Michigan
“Nice hotel, good location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I read the recent reviews on the security concerns, but fortunately I have not experienced any issues in the several stays I have had with them. In fact, I find that the hotel is a nice alternative to the normal chains I stay in while traveling on business in the area.

The Springhill Suites is a Marriott chain property that tries to provide a bit more of a livable space while traveling. I normally stay in the King suite, which has a good space that includes a living area (couch/chair), a work desk (a bit small area, but workable), and a king sized bed. There is one TV that swivels between the living and bed areas. The TV is a 42" LG with a good selection of channels. I do wish they would provide a channel guide that is easily accessible, but you have to go on a search-and-destroy mission to find it (hint: it's in the welcome binder on the wall near the desk). They use the local cable network, so they have the majority of the channels you might have access to at home.

The bed is comfortable for me, but some might think it's a bit firm. I like that. The pillow selection is good. I like that they have six pillows and some are feather-like, others are firmer. No foam, but not too bad. At least they give you some options!

The closet space is a bit light, but they have six hangars for you. There is a nice luggage "bench" near the window. Finally, there is a thermostat controlled HVAC system.

The odd thing is that there is two wash areas. One is a toilet and small sink combo. The other is a larger sink area with a walk-in shower. I like it, but it is odd. If you're traveling as a couple, or with children, you will find this convenient. The selection of soap/shampoo is decent quality.

Overall, I think the hotel is pretty quiet. I have not had any problems with noise from other rooms. I do however, travel with my iPhone which has a white noise app, that helps to drown out moderate noise. I have issues when staying in a new place for the first night or two, and that app helps me a lot.

The hotel parking is not the best, as there are only a few spots in front, but the rest of the parking is not too far away. As the hotel is near the main road - 15/501 - I can understand if security could be an issue. Criminals could jump in the parking lot, grab and run pretty easily. Lighting is OK, but could be better.

The lobby area is decent. It's not as sharp as a Courtyard (the nice remodeled ones), but they do have a little shop area (expensive for what you get) where you can buy water, pop, and various snack-type foods. They also have a bar area that stays open to 10:00pm. I've not seen it busy ever, but at least there is an easy way to have a couple of drinks with colleagues where you don't have to drive when you're done...

...but you are pretty close to a couple of decent restaurants nearby. There is a Five Guys, a Moe's Southwest Cooking restaurant, an Applebee's, and a bit further, a Kanki's - which is an upscale Japanese Steakhouse. Only Kanki's do you need to worry about crossing a main road.

I compare this hotel to three others that are nearby. There is a Sheraton that I have used a lot before trying the Springhill, which is about a mile away on 15/501 nearer to Chapel Hill; a Courtyard off of Rt. 54; and an Aloft, which is near to the Courtyard. Overall, I would say the Courtyard is slightly nicer, but only because of the lobby area (bar/coffee/snacks), and is more expensive. It also is not near to anything within walking distance. The Aloft is a bit more trendy, has a lively bar area, and is convenient to a shopping/restaurant area, but it is noisy and the rooms are smaller. The Sheraton is a more traditional hotel, but doesn't have much nearby in walking distance, but they do have a restaurant (Shula's) on the property.

Overall, I would say this is my favorite place to stay when I am in the Chapel Hill/Durham area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello ioj27,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate all your feedback. I especially appreciated your comparison with other local properties. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Ted Franzese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Front Royal, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The stay at this hotel was interesting. Firstly, I was shut out from making reservations on-line. Upon calling the reservationist at the hotel, I was informed the my room rate would be 50% higher on "Black Friday". No problem - when mentioned to the on-site manager at check-in, the rate was changed back to normal. Other than that, the Thanksgiving Holiday stay was enjoyable. The suite was clean, well-appointed and comfortable. The complimentary full breakfasts were an additional asset.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Hello chuck_barb,

Thank you for the review and kind words regarding the hotel and your stay. I can not make sense after the fact what occurred during the reservation process. We did not raise our rates due to Black Friday and you should have been able to book on-line. The only explanation I can offer is that we do have higher rates on Football weekends and last week was a UNC home football game. However, once it became known that demand was not as high last week as it was for some football weekends our rates were lowered. That may explain your being able to get a more normal rate once you arrived.

Anyway, we again thank you for staying with us and hope you will come see us again. I'm truly sorry for the confusion you encountered.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Valuables not safe if left in room - including ipad - perhaps lax security on holiday??? - might be better on a more normal week - generally a good location but will look elsewhere due to security issues.

Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Overall good stay but twice my family has had items stolen here. First time it was in the parking lot, this last time it was an iPad taken right out of the room while they were gone. Extremely poor security for a Marriott, don't trust your valuables here and don't spend the extra bucks, you'd be just as safe staying at more reasonably priced hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Mountain Park, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We booked a suite with two queens. Spacious arrangement that included sectional sofa for chatting with our guests. Mini bar, fridge coffee maker, microwave, roomy desk for work, free wifi, good lighting in bedroom and work areas with glass partition between. Unusual split bath arrangement - water closet with tiny sink separate from another full size sink and shower room. Only thing that didn't work was the odd pair of mirrors mounted in corner above tiny sink. You have to press the side of your head against a wall to see your reflection! Better to use the huge mirror in the other bath compartment. Extensive, hot breakfast buffet included. Excellent location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hello Draftcross,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind and detailed review. The review as well as your business are both greatly appreciated. Come see us again soon and Happy Holidays.

general Manager
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spring hill Suites is our new favorite hotel chain! They have wonderfully spacious rooms, two bathroom sinks, an included breakfast buffet, an indoor pool, etc! This is the place to stay in Chapel Hill! abulous!!!!

Hello Californiafatcat,

Thank you for the kind review and thanks for staying with us as well. We really do appreciate it. Come see us again soon and Happy Holidays!!

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

What a beautiful hotel. We had a King Suite and I loved the decor with the frosted glass and the sliding doors. The bed was very comfortable and had these great adjustable reading lights mounted to the headboard.
The room was very clean and well designed for your comfort. There were plenty of electric outlets available for you to plug in your electronics. They even had a sturdy "open-slat" wood platform above the AC unit where you could place a suitcase for easy access.
Loved the walk in shower with plenty of room to move, and the back-lit large round mirror was great. Go to their website and look at the room photos!
There were plenty of nearby restaurants. It was so easy to get to from I-40. The staff was helpful with local directions. There was plenty of food served for breakfast.

My only complaints would be having to pay $2 for a bottle of water - but that is typical in most hotels, and the in room coffee which is lousy - also true at most hotels.

Room Tip: Even though our room (#409) was the first one past the elevator and near an ice machine, I never hea...