“Love it here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Springfield, Missouri
“Love it here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Springhill Suites is a wonderful place to stay when traveling to the Durham area. We have stayed here several times and find it so convenient to traveling to Duke Medical Center. The rooms have a modern flair and are very comfortable and offer all the upscale amenities of large chains. We especially enjoyed the on-site lounge, Rodney is the best! They offer a free breakfast which is a step above in quality of most free breakfast hotels. The outdoor firepit is nice. There are several nice restaurants very close by, some within walking distance as well as shopping. The front desk staff has always been very helpful and friendly. We definately will be staying here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hello RobbieJP,

Thank you for staying with us and we truly appreciate you taking the time to submit your review. Your comments will certainly be well received. We will share your comments with Rodney and the rest of the staff and hope you will come stay with us again.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I just returned home from a two-night stay at this location while in town to attend a show at DPAC. I travel quite a bit, and am extremely picky when it comes to hotels. I can honestly stay that this was one of the BEST hotels I've ever stayed in. First - cleanliness. It was immaculate. The bathrooms sparkled. Water was hot, with great, adjustable shower heads, and the water pressure was perfect. We had a bed with 2 queens & an area - separated by a half-room divider - with a nice couch/desk area/bar-refrigerator area. Beds and pillows were wonderfully comfortable. While our schedule did not permit us to take advantage of the morning food offerings, we were able to enjoy the lobby bar at night. It was awesome. The bartender on duty, Clarrisa, was terrific!!! In addition to preparing top-notch drinks, she was funny and friendly, which brought the customers back for more! The time we spent there topped off a perfect stay. All of the other hotel staff were wonderful too. I'll definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor, near the end of the hall. I didn't hear a sound from the hallway or...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Jungle393,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I will certainly share your comments with Clarrisa and the rest of the staff. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your business. Come see us again.

Lund, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have now stayed at this property several times, and will continue to return. Easy access to 15-501, maybe a 10 minute drive to Duke. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance, and a Kroger grocery store right around the corner. Free parking. Breakfast is included and is reasonable. There is also a workout room and pool area, as well as a small lounge. Staff have always been friendly, and I have had no problem requesting quiet rooms which are always delivered. The rooms themselves are a bit different, with a shower/sink area behind a pocket door and a separate toilet/sink area behind a pocket door. Shower doors leak in every room I have ever had, just throw down an extra towel on the hinged side of the shower door. Microwave/bar fridge/coffee maker in every room. Large flat screen TV. Bed and desk separated by a glass panel, TV swivels so you can watch from either the bed or the desk, but not both. Nice beds, docking station on the clock radio.

Room Tip: The elevator beeps at every floor, so try avoid staying close to it. The ice and vending machines a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Hello finicky_traveller_66,

Thank you for the kind review and thank you as well for continuing to return to our property. Your comments are most appreciated. On a sidenote, the beeping in the elevator is done for ADA reasons as it helps the visually impaired understand what floor the elevator is at. We hope to see you again soon.

Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Recently, I stayed here - a local. I had a number of e-certificates to use, and decided on a "stay-cation" to use a couple of them before they expired.
The hotel is in a safe area. I personally liked the location, close to some restaurants, and many different type stores. You can goggle New Hope Commons and Patterson Place for some ideas, along with Mt Moriah Rd.
The rooms are a comfortable and clean suite. Wi-Fi in the room is fast and strong, along with having a small public business area with two computers on the main floor. I recall a total of 6 floors. Tip: Personally, I recommend the even high numbered floors on the high end. Odd numbered rooms are on the back of the hotel looking over a small road, and trees/rose business. I liked the ability to see the sunset on the front side, and it is a good look at the right time of day. While a hotel category 3, don't be misled to thinking of “just average”. The feeling in the room is not cramped. I like the shower (in King rooms), and I believe with tub and shower in double, is separate for the toilet/laboratory. The Doubles have a full dresser and added room space with closet. If you, even single, think some of the space bonus and furniture work for you, don't hesitate booking it.
The staff is courteous. I had little interaction with them other than a friendly check-in. The indoor pool and hot tub were nice, and convenient. Kids and adults enjoy. No outdoor pool, but you can walk out from the pool area and sit in a small patio area. I am not talking about an Olympic size pool, or rest area, but all is very reasonable. The work-out/gym area was also convenient. Small area, but it works.
Breakfast gets crowded at times. During the week there is a manager's reception in evening, along with certain days a bar with attendant opened. The bar is small, straightforward, and is not open but a limited period of time during, as mentioned, certain weekdays.
The hotel is popular and groups book. During football, and basketball, it can get bustling. Management is receptive to feedback. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hello TarheelBill,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Your kind comments as well as your business are most appreciated. I was extremely impressed with the amount of detail you were able to provide. I hope we will see you again.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

While this hotel is very "chainy" and what is offered is very typical Marriott mid-level offerings, the people are very helpful and nice, it's very clean and it is a good location. It is very near stores and restaurants - you can walk to several and it is right off one of the main highways in the area. Several nights included a light reception and there is enough food offered for purchase at night that if would be able to find a good meal at the bar. The options do remind me of a typical bar menu though, so don't think steak and salad, think more hummus and sliders.

The bed was very comfortable and the room is nice a spacious with a living area off the side of the bedroom. I will be staying here again when in town next.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Hello Colleen M.,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. I was particularly happy to hear you would choose us again next time your in our vicinity. Thanks again and I will share your comments with our staff.

Utica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This Springhill Suites is one of the nicest I have ever stayed in. From the moment we entered the hotel, we felt very at-home. The front desk woman was so adorable and cordial. Check-in was a breeze, and she filled us in on everything about the hotel, and what was going on and in the area.

Our hotel room was spotless. It was very clean, from the beds to the bathroom. If you check the bedbug registry you may have found one report for this hotel claiming someone had been bitten by something. Well, I highly doubt that they were. If they were, the hotel has done something about it; we thoroughly checked our mattress and it was new and there weren't remnants of anything. The beds were actually very comfortable! There was a review mentioning that they were rock hard, and I disagree completely! They were soft, but not too soft to the point that you feel like the bed has been slept in hundreds of times. We slept well in these luxurious beds!

The fitness center was open 24/7 which was a major plus. I thought fitness centers at Marriotts were always open all night, but the previous night our Courtyard fitness room closed at 11. So this was great! The hot tub was very clean and relaxing, and the pool was a decent size and was clean as well. Just more refreshing than relaxing, if you know what I mean. :-P

Breakfast was one of the best hotel breakfasts I've had in a while! The cutlery was all nice heavy duty silverware, not the usual plastic utensils that most hotels have you use. The plates were also real plates-- none of that lousy styrofoam stuff. Down in the lobby there was also a little bar, with a bartender serving beers and alcohol, and I believe you could even get appetizers.

Front desk was phenomenal. Wow, the staff were so friendly. We loved them. They advised us in places to go eat, places to walk, and they were so helpful and knowledgeable of everything in the area. There was even a Manager's reception in the lobby from 5:30 to 7:30 in the evening! It was nothing to brag about, but it was nice to be able to grab some cheese and crackers, fruit, mini meatballs, and tortilla chips and salsa to hold us over to our late dinner reservation.

The location of this hotel was also perfect! It was 10 minutes from UNC Chapel Hill and 10 minutes from Duke. It was also conveniently located in a secluded area of a nice shopping center. Food all around. Walkable to so many places.

I have one complaint, and that is that the nice flat screen TV that was large and perhaps 37 inches, didn't have HD programming. What's the purpose in having a flat screen tv without HD?

There was even a fire pit we sat out at. How serene.

Almost everything about this hotel-- every last detail-- was great. Stay here if you're in the area! Really, it's a wonderful choice. I couldn't speak more highly about this properly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Hello Germophobic,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We're very pleased that your stay was such a positive one and I will certainly share your remarks with our staff. As for the televisions, there are some HD channels within our lineup. We will have to do a better job of communicating that to our guests and I apologize that we did not do that with you. Your remarks regarding the cleanliness, bedding and hotel service are also most appreciated. Thanks again and I hope you'll come see us again soon.

NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Rooms are spacious and clean. Large flat panel tv, fridge, micro, coffee maker. The separate
seating area with large couch that opens up to queen bed is nice.

The room is described as a suite, but the sitting area with couch is not separated by a door. The desk with partial wall separates the two areas. Check the website for the 360 degree tour of the room.

Breakfast is delicious - sausage, scrambled eggs, omelets, bagels, cereal, juice, etc My only complaint is that they didn't have bacon for breakfast.

Convenient location to Duke hospital, DPAC, Durham Bulls. Kanki Japanese Restaurant is
across the street. Wide selection of restaurants nearby. Easy access on/off highway.

Hot water for shower - let the water run for a few minutes and then the water gets really hot!

Hotel manager and staff very courteous and friendly. Can't go wrong if you stay here!!!

Room Tip: This was our first stay. Indoor pool and exercise room and lower main floor. Very quiet hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Hello BC6,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the detailed and positive review. We truly appreciate it and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope you'll come see us again soon.

Ted Franzese

Been to SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill? Share your experiences!