“Underwhelmed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 69 Hotels in Durham
NC
“Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

With IHG Priorirty Club points, I had my choice of several Raleigh area hotels. Having never stayed in an Indigo, I thought I;d give it a try - it looked like a fun place and was a good location.I liked that fact it was in an office/commercial area - being a holiday, it was quiet. Check in was friendly and accommodating. Our requests had been met and we were recognized as PC members.

The decor is bright, sort of Sino-Floridian( LOL). I guess it is meant to be whimsical but I found it a bit garish. The laminate floors in the room are great for cleanliness but look a bit cheap. Ours was already buckling in places. The sofa in the room as dirty and had a tear. It's so hard to keep things nice - people really are brutal to hotel rooms. I guess it's a reflection on society today - sad. Anyway - the room itself was gloriously large but seemed to have wasted space for a " green" hotel. The sofa area would have been better used with a kitchenette. Funny to call a room an d " junior suite" and not have a fridge.

The light control was odd. There were "master switches" near the door that had to be on before table lamps and outlets would work. You had to just " find" these. Internet was free, but rather slow. View from the top floor was very nice. Room was clean. Bedding was clean and acceptable - except comforter was heavy and did not smell clean- I took it off ( didn't need it).

TV channels were standard - 42 inch TV had great picture quality. In room coffee was good. No tub in the bath - just a shower, but is was large and clean. The wooden Japanese shower stool is quaint but I wasn't thrilled about sitting on it - didn't seem very sanitary to me. Shower head was low-flow and water was luke-warm. Toiletries were great! Spa quality there! Bath was brightly lit and well appointed.

Pool was a joke- hot-tub size. There is a small hot tub adjacent but I did not use- too cramped and screaming kids made me decide on something else. The fitness room was small but equipment looked good. The small restaurant/bar area was deserted when we arrived. There was a cooler ( the type you see in airports) with drinks and snack and pre-wrapped sandwiches. Menus were on the table. The room service menu was in our room - a few interesting selections, but way overpriced. I did not see anyone eating in the restaurant area while I was there, but the hotel was low occupancy due to the holiday.

The best thing this hotel had going for it was the friendly staff, the quiet location, and the bathroom toiletries. Not a bad choice but not a " destination" either. I wouldn't pay full price for the rooms and amenities, but it a clean, quiet, friendly place to sleep if the rate is right.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Samantha M, Sales & Events Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Carl,

On behalf of the management staff, I want to thank you for your loyalty with IHG Rewards Club, previously known as Priority Rewards Club. We value your business and appreciate your honest feedback.

We will address your room concerns with our keepers to ensure we are providing the best kept rooms in town and our engineer to make sure our water is flowing properly. Our restaurant is undergoing a menu change and we are going to see more local food options.

Again, thank you for your review. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Sales & Events Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed here for just one night whilst on business in the immediate area. Its easy to find and only a few miles from the airport. The area is pretty quiet, theres a few restaurants further up the road and thats about it.

The hotel itself was very nice. It looked like it was either brand new or recently refurbished. Everything looked really clean, modern & trendy. The foyer, the bar area, the lifts, hallway & even the rooms. Couldnt fault it.

The rooms were specious and done modern. Bathroom was very clean and looked new. The bed was very comfortable. The room had good black out curtains and i didnt notice any excess noise from other rooms or areas. Room had a nice big lcd television and coffee making facilities.

The reception staff were polite and helpful, in fact all staff were, except one bar person who seemed to be half asleep. We tried to engage her in conversation but she wasnt interested, and then when we were waiting to order another drink she wandered off completely - so we decided to go elsewhere.

We didnt try the evening food although it looked very nice and decided to go to a local chinese place instead. My colleague was happy with the chinese, but after looking at other hotel guests burgers I wish id had the hotel burger instead - it did look good. I did try the breakfast through which was very tasty and whilst the room coffee tasted a bit ropey, the coffee in the restaurant was good stuff.

All in all, I was very impressed with the place and would certainly recommend it to anyone who needs to stay over in the area. We did notice a large amount of air stewardess`s and pilots wandering about the place, so it must be popular with them too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I absolutely loved this hotel. The rooms were modern, with beautiful floors, and vibrant colors. I was very impressed with the size of the room and the cleanliness, and the bathroom was huge. I will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lovettsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Came on rec from coworker. Lucky! Service is wonderful and attentive. Rooms have wood laminate floor... Love it! No hotel ucky carpet feeling. Showers are huge.... With great showerheads. Colors/decor are calming with the key west-like blues and greens. Restaurant was just perfect gor grabbing a bite. Quality dishes that tasted good! I come to the RDU/RTP area often... And i will be back. In a few weeks as a matter of fact!

• Stayed June 2013
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Coworkers said stay here. They were right.
The place has that boutique hotel cuteness.
The staff was funny, hip, urban (note, location is NOT urban) and helpful.
Colors are pleasant and oh so non traditional hotel like.

There is this little ryokan wood bench in the shower stall.
There is hardwood floors (or wood laminate whatever) rather than carpeting wall to wall.
There is an area rug, so your toes don't get cold.

Hotel is very convenient to I-40 and minutes away from the RDU airport.

I had breakfast 1 morning. An egg omelet. Would not repeat it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

As a frequent traveler to the Raleigh Durham area for my kids sporting events, I am a avid user of hotel points. This stay I decided to try something other than Marriott. I am happy to say I think I found a new favorite.

Check-in was quick, and easy and the desk host was very polite and professional. The rooms are big and spacious and there is no yucky carpet. The bathroom needs a little work where it looks like they tried to spackle some paint on some splotches rather than just repainting the bathroom. My teenagers loved the space and extra seating area. The evening desk clerk was also courteous and helpful when I had a small noise complaint. The manager was also a gem, when explaining about the water temperature in the whirlpool.

The room art is refreshing, and my daughter said this hotel is "everything"!

The few things I would suggest would be putting some type of water proof plastic on the wooden desk, as it is showing water wear; and fix the floor spots where water has affected the wood.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013
Samantha M, Sales and Events Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear FootballTrackMom,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we are new favorite spot in RTP. Positive feedback such as yours helps our staff understand their strong points and gives them encouragement to keep doing what they do great.

We also appreciate your suggestions on things we can improve on. I will be sure to pass the information on to our Maintenance department.
Once again, thank you reviewing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Warm regards,
Sales and Events Coordinator
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night and it was immaculate. Has nice laminate floors, huge comfortable beds. A real walk in shower that atleast 2 people can comfortably rendezvous in :). Also enjoyed the muraled wall with a large tulips. The room was beautiful. I felt I was in Miami or some beach resort. Definitely a hidden jewel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Minkxx,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our property. We look forward to your return real soon!

Warm regards,

Sales and Events Coordinator

Been to Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP? Share your experiences!