“Wonderful Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 29 Activities in Durham
Type: Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: What better way to get to know a place and its people than to eat its food? Tour North Carolina's tastiest and most unique restaurants and shops. You'll go behind the scenes to chat with owners and chefs of the best restaurants in town while sampling their amazing food. Tours make 5-6 stops and along the way, you'll learn about the area's history and architecture. Public tours take place every Saturday. Private and custom tours are available. This is a great way to experience a city and feel like an insider!
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Wonderful Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I took the tour in downtown Durham. We had such a fantastic time! Our tour guide Elizabeth was so knowledgeable and genuinely excited about all the information she was sharing with us! I grew up in Durham, but felt like I saw so many things through new eyes as if we were visiting a new city! The variety of restaurants we visited as a part of the tour was great. It was also really cool to go "behind-the-scenes" and talk to many of the owners/chefs about their passions and what brought them to Durham to start their businesses. I highly recommend a Taste of Carolina Food Tour for anyone who's looking for a fun way to spend an afternoon "tasting" the local culture. We can't wait to check out the tours of other local cities!

Visited September 2013

“A gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

What an amazing little experience. Our guide, Gene, was phenomenal. He knows the restaurants very well and the owners seem very appreciative d him and his tour groups. What impressed me the most was hi in depth knowledge of the history of Durham. The tour exceeded my expectations by a mile. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2013
Ma.
6 attraction reviews
“Excellent day in Durham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had a great day with Dean Michael who was our tour guide. we went to six restaurants, including LoafBakery, Bull City Burger, Daisy Cupcake, Piedmont, L'Uva and Tylers Taproom.
All were excellent... special accolades to Bull City Burger. EXCELLENT. We were with a great group of people, and Dean, our guide was a wealth of knowledge on the history of Durham, especially the tobacco industry and the Duke family.

Visited May 2013
Rockledge, FL
6 attraction reviews
“Another fantastic Taste Carolina Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I took the Durham tour with my husband and our 20-something daughter. This was our fourth tour with Taste Carolina, and it was just as good as the prior tours we've taken. The selection of restaurants was excellent-- there was a very nice variety of foods and flavors, and we were completely stuffed by the end! In particular we enjoyed hearing the passion of the various owners, from a baker to a burgermaker. Our tour guide (thank you Lesley!!) was excellent and provided interesting info about the local food scene as well as the history of the city and the downtown area/buildings. We also enjoyed meeting the other guests on the tour. As with the other tours we've taken with Taste Carolina, I'm certain that we'll return to these restaurants again on our own for a 'bigger taste'. For those concerned about the amount of walking involved, while we did cover a number of city blocks, the walking bits were relatively short and were broken up by the tastings, most of which are done while seated. I highly recommend these tours as a fun activity with friends, family, out-of-town guests... We can't wait for our next tour...

Visited April 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Amazing time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had a great time on this tour. The group was of a perfect size - approx. 12 people. Our guide Megan was super enthusiastic and had great stories to share about the restaurants and Durham. We have visited 6 different restaurants where we tried a little bit of everything. We were stuffed at the end and I wish there were less places to visit (may be 5)... In general, great times - I would recommend the tour to locals and out of town guests.

Visited March 2013