“It was Great” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 29 Activities in Durham
Type: Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: What better way to get to know a place and its people than to eat its food? Tour North Carolina's tastiest and most unique restaurants and shops. You'll go behind the scenes to chat with owners and chefs of the best restaurants in town while sampling their amazing food. Tours make 5-6 stops and along the way, you'll learn about the area's history and architecture. Public tours take place every Saturday. Private and custom tours are available. This is a great way to experience a city and feel like an insider!
Greensboro, North Carolina
“It was Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This was our second Taste Carolina food tour. We loved it! The guide knew not only about the restaurants we visited, but all the ones along the way. Not only do I have 6 new places to try next time we are in Durham, but many more. The food was great, chefs open to sharing, and learned Durham history too. Our goal is to go on all the tours this year!

Visited February 2012

USA
6 attraction reviews
“Fun informative and yummy tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I live in Durham and took my house guests on the tour. What a wonderful way for them to experience Durham. We loved the tour a highly recommend it. The restaurants provided generous tastings.

Visited March 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“Really good, but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I did the Durham food tour, and really enjoyed it! Food was great, our guide was wonderful, and it was a great way to spend an afternoon. However, I do have to say that a member of my party, and myself to a lesser extent, were put off a little by the chef at the Bull City Burger and Brewery. The idea of the restaurant is nice: local, organic, farm to table, sustainable, pasture raised beef, etc. However, the chef was lecturing us on the dangers of meat from corn-fed, antibiotic laden cows, and that was unnecessary. Especially since some of his information was utterly inaccurate (which thoroughly annoyed the PhD-holding cattle nutritionist in my party). While all of us in the group like to eat meat and produce from local farms, pasture-raised meat, etc., and therefore appreciate his passion, it would have been better if he had just stuck to describing how wonderful all his food is, instead of giving a misinformed lecture.

Visited January 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
59 attraction reviews
“Best Saturday Afternoon EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

This was my first food tour, but believe me, this will not be my last! A group of about 15 of us had a private tour for a friend's bachelorette. We arrived in downtown Durham ready for some food and a fun afternoon. Our first stop was Scratch Bakery. WOW are donut muffins amazing! We got the chocolate ones and they were to die for! Piedmont was next. They were very welcoming and told us a little about the food they served us. All of it came from the farmer's market that morning= fresh...or from their own private gardens= fresh! Boy was it good! We we served champagne and a tomato, pasta, melon dish that was VERY good! We also enjoyed squash fries with fried oregano leaves and pickled vegetable remoulade. YUMMY!
3rd stop: Parker and Otis! We enjoyed various Bruschettas...the best was the pimento cheese! Along with 3 types of bubbly and locopops to go! Parker and Otis is a cute place for gifts anyway, so we enjoyed our time in there. As we were leaving to stop at Rue Cler, we learned that they didn't have electricity and were not ready for us. With quick thinking on Taste Carolina's part and some fast work, we were welcomed into Dos Perros with margarettas, chips with shrimp & cilantro, plantain balls & sweet potato empanadas. AMAZING! Great job for pulling off the switch of restaurants without even skipping a beat, we had no clue there was a problem! And I'm sure Rue Cler is good, but I can't imagine our day without Dos Perros; it was a hit!
Our last stop was the trendy Revolution. We had clams, meatballs, bruschetta, and Daisy Cakes for dessert.
What an amazing afternoon. We were stuffed and happy! The experience does not even compare to the price we paid for the event. Well worth every single penny!

Visited July 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A tasty, wonderful tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

This is the second Taste Carolina food tour I've taken, and I've been impressed both times. These food tours not only offer wonderfully tasty food samples (you won't leave hungry!) at each stop, but also a great way to get to "know" an area. A good way to spend time for locals and visitors alike. I've driven to downtown Durham lots of times and never knew most of these great restaurants existed. You really learn a lot about each restaurant and what they serve, and of course you taste a lot of really good stuff. The Durham tour is my favorite so far. Goat cheeses, wines, fresh salads, a delightful pimento-cheese sandwich, and much more were featured on the Durham tour I was on. I highly recommend these food tours. I can't wait to take another one!

Visited July 2011