“Okay for a Courtyard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Durham Duke University/Downtown

You added Courtyard by Marriott Durham Duke University/Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Durham Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #29 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Philadelphia
“Okay for a Courtyard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This will be a very basic review since this was a very basic Courtyard.

We had to change rooms twice. Do not stay on the first floor as the ceilings are so thin we could hear every footstep. We happened to apparently have extremely active occupants over us, so we had to change rooms if sleep was our goal. The air conditioner did not work in the second room.

The rooms were the smallest we have seen for a Marriott - even a Courtyard. So, you can imagine the bathroom and vanity area. Marriott is certainly getting their dollar per square foot for this hotel.

The staff was accommodating and very polite. The rooms were clean. There was no free coffee in the lobby, but you could purchase a $4.00 Starbucks in the lobby. There is also a pleasant looking cafe in the lobby that must be open at some point, but was not open when we checked in during the evening or checked out the next morning at 11 AM.

There are the usual nice perks such as a pool andinternet service. The lobby has nice seating if you wish to sit and use your computer, a computer station and a small "convenience store". The hotel is very close to the highway for easy access and, of course, the Duke campus. Again, I guess our biggest surprises were the very thin ceilings and small rooms.

Happy travels!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

On arriving I was asked to supply a credit card, I thought this a bit unusual as our room had been prepaid by my daughter. However, I complied thinking perhaps I would be charged for any extra charges we might incur. In the morning a receipt was under the door, I noticed that wy credit card # was on the receipt (not my daughter's). I immediately went to the desk and presented the receipt to the lady at the desk and asked if the room had been charged to my credit card. She looked at the receipt, and asked if that was my credit card # , i said it was , she then said then thats what was charged. I told her there must have been a mistake because the room was to have been prepaid, she made no response just looked back at me with a condescending stare, after a few awkward moments I said never mind I will check with my daughter, and wenr back to our room. At no point in time did she ever offer any assisstance in resolving the situation. We then went to breakfast at your bistro. What a disaster, my wife ordered for both of us, while we were waiting for our food my wife mentioned that the order taker didn't know what she meant by eggs over medium(she apparently only knew eggs over hard).When our meal came both our eggs were hard, we got wheat toast instead of white, and the meat was cold. I intended to complain then but my wife said we needed to move on, which we did. When we arrived home my wife confirmed from our daughter that indeed the room was to have been prepaid, because she had spent considerable time on the phone when making the reservations.

Room Tip: Stay away from here.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Somerville, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have decent enough sense of humor...Our stay at the Marriott Courtyard would be almost funny if it wasn't happening to us. Let's start with the toilet clogging and overflowing the night of arrival. We telephoned the desk. Nice man arrived with towels and a plunger and attempted to repair. After he left, it was only good for a couple flushes, then clogged again. Next morning, went down to the front desk in person and asked them to send a more experienced person with a snake. They said "oh yes, we have engineering here today". (My thought "you don't have engineering there EVERY day???". Anyway, we happily departed the room at 10:00 am, secure in the understanding that all will be taken care of. We return at 4:00 pm to find not only the toilet had not been repaired, but the room had not been ;made up either! Okaaay. Call the front desk again. "Maybe you left the do not disturb sign hanging?". Noooo, we never placed the do not disturb sign out at any time during our stay. Finally, they sent up "engineering" with a snake ("Apologies, we went to the wrong room") and got housekeeping there at 4:30 pm to make up our room. Be aware we were tipping housekeeping $4.00 a day (that's more than my usual, but my friend insisted.)
Day two was uneventful. They even left extra shampoo as requested.
Day three was the really really interesting day. Again we departed the room at 10:00 am (no do not disturb sign hung at any time), again we returned at 4:00 pm. Room not made up. At 4:00 pm??? Come on. After tipping $4.00 a day, you'd think they'd be able to find us. Again, we called the front desk. Eventually, room gets taken care of. About 9:30 pm that evening, toilet clogs and overflows (a lot). I call the front desk again. Ten minutes later, a loud knock at the door. Man there with a stack of towels and a plunger. He HANDS ME THE PLUNGER and the towels without a word, turns around and walks away. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So, that's my story. You decide.
Need to say one more thing... there were a lot of staff (most of the time) that were nice and seemed to be hardworking. I have to point to management ...really disorganized communications.

• Stayed June 2013
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent a week at this hotel and it was perfect. The hotel was in the process of upgrading their mattresses and we had a ro with a new mattress and it was excellent quality. Towels were plush and soft. Courteous professional staff at all levels.
Clean and well maintained. Bistro offered a reasonably priced breakfast of good quality. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2013
Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My mom and I stayed here one night, while passing through on a very long drive from Virginia to Georgia. The hotel is right off the interstate and easy to find. It is also very convenient to an incredible Italian restaurant, so make sure to stop in time to eat dinner there.

Our room was spacious and clean. It felt new or at a minimum recently updated. The rooms were wonderfully quiet--we slept great.

The staff was uniformly polite and helpful. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Here now, gone tomorrow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have now stayed here more than 5 times. The staff has been consistently courteous and helpful. Facility is clean, the Bistro service is good and the exercise room is well maintained. It is right next to I-85 and there are decent Italian and Chinese restaurants right next door.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the far end of the lobby - 121, 221, 321, 421 if you intend to use their Wifi. I...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The location is excellent for a visit to Duke University. The front desk staff was excellent and very informative. There are a couple of nice Italian restaurants within walking distance which was helpful after the long drive to Durham. The room was clean and well-supplied.
Would stay there if I have to go to Durham again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Durham Duke University/Downtown? Share your experiences!