You added Courtyard by Marriott Durham Duke University/Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Durham Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #32 of 69 Hotels in Durham
Virginia Beach
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice (and are about to have a third visit) while attending appointments/having surgery at Duke Univ. Hospital. The hotel is just minutes from the hospital and they are VERY accomodating to patients. Pleasant atmosphere, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. Little bistro serves a nice breakfast and there is a bar (overpriced). Outside there is a fire pit and comfortable couches. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Hotel is very accomodating regarding handicap accessible rooms - just ask.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was an excellent hotel stay. Pleasantly surprised that the beds are temperpedic so had a very restful sleep. Their towels were thick and soft, unlike other places that give you worn out towels that are rough as you dry yourself. Hotel lobby was very nicely done. Overall would recommend for the price, location and overall quality

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I didn't expect much from a side of the highway hotel. If you're planning on staying more than one night, I wouldn't recommend it. I was here for a week. The rooms are fine, with a view of the highway, or the parking lot.
The lobby is very nicely renovated, with a fireplace, and couches, and work stations. The rooms are decent, as well as the beds.
I had taken the DND sign off my door when I left for work at 11am, and when I came back at 11pm, the room had not been cleaned. This happened 2 days in a row. I alerted the front desk staff, who told me I should call them when I wanted service, but no assistance or compensation was offered.
I think that you can find a similar value with a better location/service in this area.

Little Mountain, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here one night due to weather conditions in Durham this weekend. After a meeting at Duke hospital, we found the conditions had deteriorated rapidly while we were inside. We could not safely leave the city due to snow and ice, so we found the Courtyard located nearby. I made a quick call to see if they had any rooms available and was greeted with a friendly voice saying they had room for us. When we arrived, the gentlemen working the front desk were cheerful, friendly and very efficient. The lobby was so attractive due to a recent renovation with plenty of spaces to relax yet having an intimate, cozy atmosphere. The bistro had a nice variety of appetizing selections and the young lady working there was also very friendly and helpful. Our room was adequate, though it had a dated decor. I was told the rooms would be under renovation this year. Even so, the beds were comfortable and the room clean, which was basically all we needed for our short, unexpected stay. A pleasant experience overall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here 1 night while visiting daughter, spouse & newborn twins in Durham. Their house was crowded because the twin’s father was sick and quarantined (by wife) to the only guest room, thus I used my Marriott Rewards points to stay here. The Courtyard was near their home. It is a standard Courtyard –clean, with friendly & efficient check-in staff, a supportive bed, but with a small bathroom (very much like one of the Fairfield Inns I recently reviewed). As a Marriott rewards person I typically stay in one of their hotels that provide a lobby breakfast (Fairfield, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites). Courtyards do not – I do not understand that? It is somewhat annoying to have to pay - what I feel is an inflated price - to eat their lobby food!!! I must admit that their towels were thicker that Fairfield towels – but other than that, I saw little to no difference. I would only stay here again due to lack of space when I visit nearby family, otherwise I would not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is a fairly nice property that is reasonably well maintained. I have stayed there several times in the past. Overall, it's a very decent place with in a fairly good location. However, the rooms could benefit from some updating/upgrading. Also, one change for the worse is that they changed the buffet breakfast they used to offer for many years with an a la cart meal that is much less attractive. Most of the front desk people were nice and friendly, though one was exceptionally lethargic and had a bit of an attitude. All in all, a fairly good place to stay, though some improvements are called for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've been staying in this hotel for several years. It's convenient to everything and everyone I need to see. Durham is my hometown and I go frequently. The staff is unfailingly polite and accommodating. Recent trip on December 13th was as pleasant as expected. The room was excellent and I especially enjoyed the yellow rubber duck for my bath. The new amenities were a huge plus. I have stayed at the one downtown several times, but I prefer this one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Durham Duke University/Downtown? Share your experiences!