“Good value for the money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40

Save Saved
You added Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40 to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 Mt. Moriah Road, Durham, NC 27707   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #20 of 67 Hotels in Durham
Castle Rock, Washington
“Good value for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Staff members at the front desk were on borderline of being rude but the room was great. Great location with lots of restaurants nearby. Breakfast was included and was well stocked. Internet was somewhat unreliable. Bed was uncomfortable with the mattress feeling lumpy. All in all for the price it wasn't too bad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
douglaspender, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear 672Sarah,
Thank you for letting me know about your recent experience at the Homewood Suites in Durham, NC. I was able to retrieve your reservation details and I have sent you an e-mail separately from this response so I can fully address your concerns regarding the helpfulness of our front desk staff. Our main focus is the service we provide to our guests, and I will not accept anything less than a warm, friendly, and caring attitude from all of our staff towards our guests. I do hope that we can talk further about your experience, and I appreciate you allowing me to address your concerns. Please rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our front desk staff and that I committed to ensuring that other guests do not have similar a similar experience. Thank you for being a valued guest and for staying at Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham/Chapel Hill.

Doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hendersonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Had to travel on short notice glad there was room. Very Convenient Location. This is a nice facility the beds could be improved. Overall we had an enjoyable stay. I did not have an advanced reservation was a walk in. Would have preferred a double bed vs a single King and would have preferred a room on a upper floor. The staff was very helpful and did the best job that they could under the circumstances.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ron B,
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We truly value and appreciate your business and I am glad that you found our hotel. I know it can be very stressful and difficult during an family emergency situation, and I am glad that we could help in a small way at least. I will certainly share your feedback with our staff and commend them for a job well done. I hope you will get a chance to visit us again under better circumstances! Best regards to you and your family!

Schrocket
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our needs were unique-- we had handicapped elderly parents who required handicap access, and we needed another adjacent for ourselves -- all at the very last minute for five nights. They were very polite and accommodating when we needed to move from the absolutely awful Comfort Suites right next door and quickly arranged to have the rooms cleaned ahead of schedule so we could get settled in the morning. A cozy fire in the huge stone fireplace is the focal point in the large, lovely and light dining and gathering area with vaulted ceiling and many comfy sofas and dining tables. Breakfast and dinner (included) are served buffet-style in an immaculate serving area. Meals are very nice and dinner includes wine. Self service coffee bar is available all day.
The rooms are very nicely decorated with a generous kitchenette. Both our suites had a kitchen with a counter and bar stools plus a living area with sofa and easy chair with ottoman and television. The separate large bedroom also had a television. Comfortable bed and good internet. All our experiences with the staff were excellent.

Our elderly parents are now staying here for an extended period while undergoing medical procedures, and are very comfortable. There are many restaurants and shopping outlets nearby and it is very convenient to the highway. They also offer a special rate for people under certain medical plans. We were exceptionally pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: There is only one room with a shower that accommodates a wheelchair, although there are other ADA ro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
douglaspender, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Schrocket,
Thank you so much for sharing your review on Tripadvisor! We very much appreciate your feedback as it is the only way to truly assess how we are doing! Thank you so much for your compliments and helpful feedback for fellow travelers as well! I will make sure that I share your comments with our entire staff tomorrow at our morning Huddle. As you may know we do not always hear about good experiences, and it is very rewarding and motivating for the staff to know that we made a difference! We will make sure to take great care of your parents for the remainder of their stay, and we will do everything we can to make this their "Home away from Home" for as long as they are here. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, we are truly grateful. Happy New Year and Best Regards!

Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The wifi is terrible. I am picking up the Home Depot across the street better than the motel. The two double beds in the bedroom are shot and lumpy and when you lay on them they go down hill towards your head. The floor has a big hump in it right in the middle of the bedroom. The bathroom is small. Nothing like what we expected. I'll be going back to the other motel next time I'm in this area. Tried this on a friends recommendation not again. Back to the Holiday Inn Express for me with the two queen beds and a hot breakfast for $100 a night thank you. Big nice and clean.

Room Tip: Go some where else? Holiday Inn Express on Farrington Rd is excellent.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
douglaspender, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Dan G,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We depend guests feedback, good or bad, as it is the only real way to know how we are doing, and where we can improve.

I understand that you felt our hotel was not a good value, primarily because of the beds, and size of our bathrooms. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. We strive to ensure each and every guest receives clean and comfortable accommodations, and friendly attentive service, and I am sorry that you did not have a better experience.

If you could please contact me directly at (919) 401.0610, or by e-mail at doug.pender@hilton.com, I would really appreciate it so I can make sure that we take note of the room you occupied, and address the concerns properly. As part of our "Suite Assurance Guarantee," I would like to issue a refund for one night of your stay. I hope that you will try out Homewood Suites again in the future, and thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Felton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Nice hotel once we got in. But even though we had a paid, guaranteed reservation they said they were full and sent us next door to the Comfort Suites. And were rather rude about it besides. They did allow us to partake of heir breakfast and evening fare and did get us in for the second nite with a nice upgrade, Funny how the folks if line behind us didnt get "walked" to another hotel.

But, all in all, once we got in, it was very nice and comfortable. A bit out of town if you are planning on visiting the university but plenty of restaurants and other shopping nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
douglaspender, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Simon S,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor. We value your feedback and it does help us improve the service and accommodations we provide.

I understand that when you arrived the hotel was unable to accommodate your reservation, and subsequently you were relocated to another hotel for your first night. I canunderstand that this would be a very frustrating and inconvenient experience, given that you had reserved a room in advance with confirmation. I truly apologize for the negative experience you had. I also understand that you received poor service from our front desk Associates, and that you did not feel our staff was responsive to what I feel would be a most difficult and delicate situation. This is unacceptable to me and I will certainly address your concerns with our front desk Associates.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies. I can assure you that this is not a normal guest experience at our hotel, and I hope that in the future if you return to the Durham/Chapel Hill area, you will give us a second chance to provide you with friendly service and clean comfortable accommodations.

Respectfully,

Asheville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Homewood Suites is one of our preferred motel choices, and this one in Durham near Chapel Hill is well above average.

Since I'm a Hilton Diamond, we were upgraded to a beautiful two-bedroom, two-bath suite, which we appreciated.

It's picking nits, but if there's a downside to this property it's the lack of television channels (I want my TCM!) and the hideous gold elevator doorways. Also, the layout of the motel, with elevators at each end of a long, long hallway, isn't ideal.

Overall, though, this is a nice property and one we'll visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
douglaspender, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear LanSluderBelize,
Thank you very much for your complimentary review of our hotel! We truly appreciate your feedback and I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff.

I am sorry to hear that our television channel selection was less than satisfactory. Please accept my sincere apologies! We recently had some upgrades performed to add High-Definition programming, but I agree that compared to most satellite or cable subscriptions available now, our channel line-up is limited to most of the major networks in addition to several cable channels. When we are able to renew our current agreement, we will certainly look at adding additional channels, of course not to forget your favorite, TMC! :o)

I do hope to get a chance to meet you the next time you are in the area, and please feel free to e-mail directly at doug.pender@hilton.com to arrange for a reservation at a discounted price.

Thank you again for your compliments and suggestions, we will certainly use those to improve our accommodations. Thank you for being a valued guest!

Helen, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was concerned when I read an earlier review but booked anyway because someone else said they were renovating. Facility is nice, clean and no problem. Front desk fixed difficulty with non smoking room that smelled of smoke by moving us right away. Meal in the evening was generous and made it easy to stay in after driving all day. My big complaint is they did not put in new beds. This is not the bed I am used to in a Hilton and I ended up sleeping on the firm couch for the night. Hotel is full so I guess the couch and I have another date tonight!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mary,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor! We truly appreciate your feedback, as it is the only way we can really tell how we are doing!

I was very happy to hear that our staff was able to address most of your concerns, however I am very sorry to hear that you ended up sleeping on the couch because of the comfort of our beds. Please accept my sincere apologies! We do have the custom made Homewood Suites "Serta Suite Dreams" mattresses in all of our guest rooms, however the last time they were replaced was in 2008, so we are due to have the matresses replaced again in 2013.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in the future, and in addition to the planned matress replacement, the Homewood Suites brand has many new and exciting enhancements scheduled for 2013, including lobby renovations and improvements, a new recycling program, and tecnology updates to our business center and high-speed wireless internet.

If you are back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly at doug.pender@hilton.com, to setup your reservation at a discounted price.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being a valued guest!

Doug

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40? Share your experiences!