“Above-average Homewood Suites” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40

Save Saved
You added Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40 to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40
Ranked #16 of 67 hotels in Durham
Asheville, NC
“Above-average Homewood Suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Homewood Suites is one of our preferred motel choices, and this one in Durham near Chapel Hill is well above average.

Since I'm a Hilton Diamond, we were upgraded to a beautiful two-bedroom, two-bath suite, which we appreciated.

It's picking nits, but if there's a downside to this property it's the lack of television channels (I want my TCM!) and the hideous gold elevator doorways. Also, the layout of the motel, with elevators at each end of a long, long hallway, isn't ideal.

Overall, though, this is a nice property and one we'll visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
douglaspender, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear LanSluderBelize,
Thank you very much for your complimentary review of our hotel! We truly appreciate your feedback and I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff.

I am sorry to hear that our television channel selection was less than satisfactory. Please accept my sincere apologies! We recently had some upgrades performed to add High-Definition programming, but I agree that compared to most satellite or cable subscriptions available now, our channel line-up is limited to most of the major networks in addition to several cable channels. When we are able to renew our current agreement, we will certainly look at adding additional channels, of course not to forget your favorite, TMC! :o)

I do hope to get a chance to meet you the next time you are in the area, and please feel free to e-mail directly at doug.pender@hilton.com to arrange for a reservation at a discounted price.

Thank you again for your compliments and suggestions, we will certainly use those to improve our accommodations. Thank you for being a valued guest!

Kind Regards,

Doug

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Helen, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was concerned when I read an earlier review but booked anyway because someone else said they were renovating. Facility is nice, clean and no problem. Front desk fixed difficulty with non smoking room that smelled of smoke by moving us right away. Meal in the evening was generous and made it easy to stay in after driving all day. My big complaint is they did not put in new beds. This is not the bed I am used to in a Hilton and I ended up sleeping on the firm couch for the night. Hotel is full so I guess the couch and I have another date tonight!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mary,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor! We truly appreciate your feedback, as it is the only way we can really tell how we are doing!

I was very happy to hear that our staff was able to address most of your concerns, however I am very sorry to hear that you ended up sleeping on the couch because of the comfort of our beds. Please accept my sincere apologies! We do have the custom made Homewood Suites "Serta Suite Dreams" mattresses in all of our guest rooms, however the last time they were replaced was in 2008, so we are due to have the matresses replaced again in 2013.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in the future, and in addition to the planned matress replacement, the Homewood Suites brand has many new and exciting enhancements scheduled for 2013, including lobby renovations and improvements, a new recycling program, and tecnology updates to our business center and high-speed wireless internet.

If you are back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly at doug.pender@hilton.com, to setup your reservation at a discounted price.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being a valued guest!

Kind Regards,

Doug
Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

the suite was nice and spacious, clean, the staff was very friendly from the guy at breakfast the housekeeper lady and especially RIcky at front desk. He gave us good advice, directions and laughs. the only complaint i have was the bed was a tad bit uncomfortable, the food was what you would expect meaning you get what you pay for, not bad.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Lovely spacious rooms in a friendly and efficient hotel. Excellent base for tourism. Breakfasts were plentiful, nice with a wide selection. Small business office was very useful. Car parking no problem even when hotel was full. Shuttle service to local places available during day which I did not use but I know is very useful for those without transport. Rooms well equipped, clean and of a high standard and I know they are being upgraded soon. Will certainly use again when returning to Durham/Chapel Hill.

• Stayed August 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed while in Chapel Hill for an extended period. Very convenient location, and nice to have the option of shopping at the grocery store or hitting restaurants nearby. The suite was spacious and clean, and the air conditioning worked well without too much noise. Breakfast is generous - some limited options each day but real hot food and not just continental. A few frustrations: the housekeeping staff did not replenish supplies daily - they replaced my coffee but didn't give me sugar or creamer after the first day; the TV had a nice listing of available channels, but the majority showed only advertisements for the pay per view options. If you are looking to relax with some TV in the evenings you will be frustrated. I also wish they had a makeup mirror option. The lighting at the vanity is great but if you are nearsighted you can't get close to the mirror. You can get a close up view in the bedroom but the lighting there is terrible. But the desk staff are very nice and helpful. In the end this hotel is getting a rating of 4 but for a long stay I may reconsider due to these little nuisances.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
RDUHW_GM, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we apologize for the issues with your stay, like the sugar/creamers, makeup mirror, and television channels. The payperview menu appers first when turning the television on and can sometimes be confusing to get out of. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Great place, we stayed with our basketball team while playing in a state tournament... Will certainly go back again. Morning breakfast was excellent! I loved how conveinent the location was to everywhere we needed to be... We have a family of 5 and the rooms gave us all the space we needed.

• Stayed May 2012
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We used to live in Durham, NC for eight years in 90's. This visit was our homecoming trip to see old friends.
We chose this hotel because we wanted to stay as if we were at home.
I realized our choice was just right.

Staff were friendly yet professional.
The building was a little dated but well maintained.
Room was wonderful: well equipped, clean, spacious, comfortable, and a picture of Duke University in each part of the room :-)

It was a real homecoming experience for us.
I really want to come back to this hotel again.
Thank you very much to people of the hotel!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Durham-Chapel Hill / I-40? Share your experiences!